2005FPW roll call

I'm glad that this seems to be an isolated issue. I really like this monitor, except the issue with black.

I've had mine for over a week and I haven't noticed any problems with it at all. I just fired-up the Matrix DVD and turned off all the lights in the room and the backlighting was consistent through the whole screen. I have a gallery of pictures over here.

BigDuallie said:
I've had mine for over a week and I haven't noticed any problems with it at all. I just fired-up the Matrix DVD and turned off all the lights in the room and the backlighting was consistent through the whole screen. I have a gallery of pictures over here.

It would be extremely helpful if you could post one of the pictures with the Matrix DVD in a dark portion of the movie.

I asked for one of these things for Christmas so I should be joining the ranks so to speak in a little over a month. Really hoping the thing is perfect the first time I open the box so I don't have to get all you guy's old monitors as refurbs over and over again. Last time I got an LCD (15" viewsonic in 1999) it took 2 returns and my dad causing years of psychological trama to customer service representatives before I got one without dead pixels. Less than 5 dead pixels is acceptable quality my ass.

-zac

The first 2001FP I ordered had backlight from a couple corners. It also had a small cluster of dead or stuck pixels. I promptly sent it back. The second one I got I kept, the backlight is minor in two corners but I hardly notice it at all anymore and I'm very picky. Don't be afraid to complain and send back as many monitors as you like, you're a paying customer and Dell makes a ridiculous amount of money, stick it to em tell you get one you like!!!

So since I'm sending this back anyway I asked myself, what would happen if i press on the corners where its extra bright? Well suprisingly if you press on it it actually changes the light output from the backlight through the lcd, but only at the corners. Additionally I was thinking well if i push on it its gonna make it brighter (Closer to the backlights), so what happens if I pull it away from the lcd, would that fix the problem? I got a suction cup and played with it on the screen, and also suprisingly if you pull away from the lcd on the corners it makes it brighter too. So that leads me to believe there must be some perfect middle point where its the right color, if its off at all in either direction the colors are messed up. Sure hope the new one they are sending me works properly....

Black desktop wallpaper:

misc_130.thumb.jpg

Dark scene in the Matrix:

misc_131.thumb.jpg

I added both fullsize (1600x1200) images to my gallery if you want to check them out.

hmm i just noticed that my graphics card (gigabyte 9600XT) doesnt have an option for 1680x1050. is this because the screen i have now doesn't support that res, but if one that did support it was connected it would show up? if this is the case, that is interesting because 1280x768 and 1920x1200 both show up.

My machine (GFFX5200) didn't have the option until I installed the monitor's INF file. As a side note, the monitor didn't work on the DVI of my (crappy off-brand) GFFX5200 either. I suspect that the output on the card is DVI-I and the monitor requires DVI-D because it works fine on the DVI output of my QuadroFX card.

It didn't bother me much though because it looks awesome via analog too!

PsySabreW said:
I got mine last week. I did have some slight backlight leakage on my upper left and bottom right corners but that's disappeared. Altho mine did come one 1 dead black pixel in the upper right corner, 2 stuck green pixels on a black background and 1 blue stuck pixel on a black background (You really have to look to find them tho).

So, will these problems sometimes go away if you wait? Mine hasn't come in yet, but I was wondering if there is a problem, should I wait a little while or send it back immediately?

Where is everyone getting these coupon codes from? I'd like to order the 2005, but after seeing on Dell's site less than a month ago for $630 I can't stomach paying $800 now. Anyone have a coupon code they aren't going to use or know how to get one?

Warborn said:
Where is everyone getting these coupon codes from? I'd like to order the 2005, but after seeing on Dell's site less than a month ago for $630 I can't stomach paying $800 now. Anyone have a coupon code they aren't going to use or know how to get one?

Go to Dell's web site. Go to Dell Home. You'll see an advertisement with a girl on it for the Dellf game. Sign up and play. I used a bunch of e-mails addresses to play it a bunch of times.
There's also a Dellf game at the EEP site that's for that site only.

Go to Dell's web site. Go to Dell Home. You'll see an advertisement with a girl on it for the Dellf game. Sign up and play. I used a bunch of e-mails addresses to play it a bunch of times.
There's also a Dellf game at the EEP site that's for that site only.

Anyone know if there's a way to get 25% off on the dell.ca site?

BigDuallie thanks for upping the dark screen photos. It's good to know that the backlight leakage isn't spread across the board. Is this your first LCD or can you compare it to others that you have owned?

does anyone know anything about my previous post regarding the grahpics card compatibility? thanks.

firey-eyez make sure you install the drivers for the panel off the dell cd, and also on the monitor page make sure you click hide modes this monitor cant display.. should get you 1650 no prob.

firey-eyez said:
hmm i just noticed that my graphics card (gigabyte 9600XT) doesnt have an option for 1680x1050. is this because the screen i have now doesn't support that res, but if one that did support it was connected it would show up? if this is the case, that is interesting because 1280x768 and 1920x1200 both show up.

I use the 9600XT and it has the 1680x1050 option, which wasn't available when I was using a 19" CRT. Once you hook up a widescreen monitor, it'll become available.

dell003.jpg

As far as the 2005FPW, no issues for me yet (ignore the flash glare). 0 dead pixels, no backlight issues, no lines. Only thing I have is cosmetic; the keyboard and other 17" LCD is tan so it clashes =). It's easy to see the difference between a quality LCD versus a generic / cheapo LCD. I bought the 17" one used for $225 shipped and it's pathetic :\

dell0001.jpg

ok thanks for the help on the resolution issue guys. i was afraid i was going to have a problem there at the last minute :D

now for the next issue; wallpapers. could anyone tell me where they get their 1680 res wallpapers from or what some good ones are? there have been several nice ones in this thread and in the similar ones over at firstadopter forum (i post there under the alias CraZyKoKeNo...say hi to me if your there ever ^_^).

edit: just hopped over to deviant art and saw that they have a good selection of 1680 res wallpapers :) guess i never noticed it before. nevermind my previous question then.

Just got my 2005FPW.

There is a definite backlight issue. However there are zero dead pixels. Overall I love the monitor but it would be nice to get one without the backlight issue, even though I wont be using it to watch DVDs.

And the contrast ratio is awesome.
icon14.gif

Just got my 2005FPW today and I am impressed with the quality (first LCD screen). I do have 2 1/2 dead pixels (one is slightly stuck, changes but not to dark colors, kinda weird) with only one actually bothersome (bad spot) but no backlight issues when running a couple DVDs. Overall picture quality is amazing. All that I need to do now is run a couple games to get a total feel for it.

Zero

jhzero1984 said:
Just got my 2005FPW today and I am impressed with the quality (first LCD screen). I do have 2 1/2 dead pixels (one is slightly stuck, changes but not to dark colors, kinda weird) with only one actually bothersome (bad spot) but no backlight issues when running a couple DVDs.

Jhzero can you try to look at a pure black screen.. with all the lights in the room off.

"Estimated shipping date: Dec. 2nd" wow that sure is a long process time. I am very nearly buzzing with anticipation :) :) :)

also glad to know that some people are getting moniiters without issues :)

Hi all. Well, I was planning on going from the Viewsonic VP171b to the Viewsonic VP201b 20.1" monitor once the prices dropped. After reading the posts about the Dell 2005FPW, the features, and those 25% coupons. I figured it doesn't get any better than that. I just orded one a few ours ago for $640. This will be my new gaming montior. For this price, I can live with black borders, and besides, I will now be able to play WoW in widescreen.I'm just little worried I don't have any problems with it. :confused:

I rarely posts messages here, but I do read through the posts from time to time.It's been enjoyable going through the posts on this site. In fact I bought my Viewsonic VP171 because of all of the feedback from those who purchased it. Thank you :)

firey-eyez said:
now for the next issue; wallpapers. could anyone tell me where they get their 1680 res wallpapers from or what some good ones are? there have been several nice ones in this thread and in the similar ones over at firstadopter forum (i post there under the alias CraZyKoKeNo...say hi to me if your there ever ^_^).

edit: just hopped over to deviant art and saw that they have a good selection of 1680 res wallpapers :) guess i never noticed it before. nevermind my previous question then.
http://kdelook.org/index.php?page=2 - has some decent ones.

Well, for some reason I was not able to reproduce the red lines as previously stated. I'll chalk it up to a fresh install of windows w/o updates.

However, it seems as though there is slight bleed thru on the lower left and top center. It's not as severe as Dew's, but it does bother me. Should I be concerned or even bother to try for a replacement as the replacement could be worse?

2005FPW%20010.jpg

2005FPW%20012.jpg

RADON said:
Well, for some reason I was not able to reproduce the red lines as previously stated. I'll chalk it up to a fresh install of windows w/o updates.

However, it seems as though there is slight bleed thru on the lower left and top center. It's not as severe as Dew's, but it does bother me. Should I be concerned or even bother to try for a replacement as the replacement could be worse?

http://silentspin.shackspace.com/Dell/2005FPW 010.jpg

http://silentspin.shackspace.com/Dell/2005FPW 012.jpg

I would exchange it if I were you. The only thing it will cost you is an hour on the phone.

synack said:
BigDuallie thanks for upping the dark screen photos. It's good to know that the backlight leakage isn't spread across the board. Is this your first LCD or can you compare it to others that you have owned?
I've purchased and used about 13 different LCDs over the last few years... Some for home, some for work... This is easily the nicest LCD I've had at home, and it's on par or better than any of the LCDs I've used (including high-end ones from Planar, Viewsonic and Dell) at work.

I'm not sorry I got it at all. The brigtness and contrast are awesome, and it has the most accurate blacks of any LCD I've seen.

I got mine yesterday. At first glance, everything looks perfect, but as I move to darker environment and darker images, I could see very clearly back light leakage from all four corners. It's not even and worst at lower left corner. It does bother me very much as it's as if somebody was holding a torchlight at these corners, so i'll be giving Dell a call. No dead pixl however, and other than that, this screen rocks!

I received my 2005FPW yesterday and I have the back light leakage in all four corners. It extends out about an inch in each corner. I guess I will be calling Dell when I get home tonight.

fallguy said:
One sample pick, I got a lot more, but dont have time to post them right now.

2005FPW-1.jpg

fallguy, I took the liberty of posting your pic @ the First Adopter Forum so that others could compare between 2005FPW & 2001FP, hope you dont mind :)

would it be possible that you posted more from different angles?

thanks

Got mine yesterday, very fast shipping from Dell as always.

I'm happy with the brightness and built of the LCD. But I do have the excessive back light problem around the corners too and it is pretty bad. I'm going to try getting a replacement if I can find the time.

I have 1 dead pixel in the middle >.<

Nice pics fallguy and Duallie - thats what we were really looking for.

As for the backlight thing - I wonder how many of us are noticing it only cuz of that first pic showing the 4 corners. Honestly I didnt see it at first until someone pointed it out haha. Now every person whos read this thread is looking out extra carefully for that and wants a perfect one from Dell. Ill bet theyre cursing this forum right now lol. I wonder if its as big of an issue for the 2001FP?

I noticed my backlight problem as soon as I had a dark background of any type on the screen... in windows where im not using too much dark stuff its fine, but in games or movies it sucks. I noticed my revision on the lcd is A00 (its listed by the serial number on the back of the panel), for those of you who do not have the backlight issue do you have revision A00 or is there a newer revision out?

I don't undertand why is everyone calling Dell for replacements????????????? The backlight issue is a design issue not an individual monitor issue.....so your replacement monitor will be exactly the same!

Mac

got mine lastnight... i love it. I do have the grey in the corners , but no dead pixels. I think i will call and have them send another one.

d.

Back