2005FPW roll call

cmacclel said:
I don't undertand why is everyone calling Dell for replacements????????????? The backlight issue is a design issue not an individual monitor issue.....so your replacement monitor will be exactly the same!

Mac

Is it true all lcd have this issue? I mean, I can notice this very obvious even with lights turned on, during doom3. Instead of having torch light from the game, there are lights leak from all corners. I doubt this is true for all lcds. My guess is, Dell has issues with current batch, since most users dont complain about this from what I read earlier.

dexth77 said:
Is it true all lcd have this issue? I mean, I can notice this very obvious even with lights turned on, during doom3. Instead of having torch light from the game, there are lights leak from all corners. I doubt this is true for all lcds. My guess is, Dell has issues with current batch, since most users dont complain about this from what I read earlier.

Yes this is one of the known issues with all LCD's some are barley noticable and some are like the Dell 2005.....The backlights are on each side of the screen so that why you see it in the 4 corners and not in the middle. You guys that are returning them for the backlight design problem are wasting your time. Either you can turn the brightness down or deal with it............returning it is not going to help unless dell revises the monitor.

Mac

Can anyone that has received a replacement for theirs with the backlight leaks comment on cmacclel's posts?

Looking at the Samsung SyncMaster 172n next to me in total darkness I don't see any leaks at all, even with a black screen. Thanks.

There are quite a few posters that have zero backlight leakage. As far as i know, it is a common problem with LCD's, and you will always have "some" leakage, but not to the extent that some of us have. An inch or so is fine, but bleeding about 5 inches from the corner of the screen is not. I dont think it is a problem with all of the 2005's, but just a certain batch. I believe it comes from the manufacturing process, and not an actual design flaw.

The people that don't see it are the same people that will probably never notice a dead pixel either..... If the same panel and same backlights are used in every monitor I don't see how they can vary from 1" to 5" of bleeding. I could be wrong but doubt it.

Mac

Mine is like 5" at the lower left corner and ~3" for other corners. it's definately manufacturing defect IMO.

I think the backlight issue really depends on each individual panel. I think Dell just doesn't really care since the vast majority of ppl don't see/don't care. I've had 2 lcd's Samsung 570v And 172T and neither of them had any backlight leakage. My 1905fp just shipped out today, so I guess we'll see how good that one is. I'm really considering ordering a 2005fpw and seeing which one is better!

Hmm well mine shipped yesterday supposedly so I guess I'll see for myself next week. I watch DVDs on the compy very very often. I'll compare with the 17" samsung sitting next to me playing the same DVD/black screen/etc. Not exactly scientific, but I would hope the dell would not display any more backlight leakage than the samsung.

I can spot a dead pixel a mile away, and the backlight leakage on my laptop drives me nuts. But, as you can see from the images I posted... My 2005FPW doesn't suffer from this problem.

dell support is a friggin joke. I've spent the last 30 minutes trying to talk to some indian guy that I can't understand to get him to exchange this POS for another unit. Grrrr...

ogf said:
dell support is a friggin joke. I've spent the last 30 minutes trying to talk to some indian guy that I can't understand to get him to exchange this POS for another unit. Grrrr...

I spoke to one this morning, actually it was very easy, she asked me to unplug the monitor and check if problem persist, then write down the serial number and a new one would be on the way. Unfortunately I didnt have the # with me as I'm at work.

woah dexth77, that's one of the worst backlight bleeding I've seen yet. I'm glad you posted that. I know if I got that I would send it back right away. The more and more I read, it seems that this is common, with a few exceptions.

I feel ya ogf. It sucks going through these morons, but if you patiently walk thru there predefined steps you'll eventually get it replaced. It just sucks that you have to do this for a new product. After all this I think I'll wait for another batch of these to be produced before I order one. I wanted to take advantage of the sweet prices though.

Very nice looking monitor. Congrats to everybody that got one for a good deal. Thanks for all the pics guys.

The best thing to do when you call thier tech support is pretend you know nothing. It actually helps. just say "omgz my m0nitrz has teh white c0rnrz!?!?!?!" They will have you unplug it and try all thier neat little tricks and tell you its defective.

dage said:
Can anyone that has received a replacement for theirs with the backlight leaks comment on cmacclel's posts?

Looking at the Samsung SyncMaster 172n next to me in total darkness I don't see any leaks at all, even with a black screen. Thanks.

I will be going 243T to be sure I dont get said issues. I am delighted with my 213T and now its time to go wide screen.

Mac theres no way this is how their monitor is designed, it is some kind of flaw in the manufacturing, because I have seen people who have a 2005fpw without any kind of light problems. And its not on ALL lcds.. for example here is a pic of my Samsung 710T right next to my 2005FPW, and in real life it has 0 light leak, it looks pitch black.

*That is supposed to be an all black background.
**The light is a SLIGHT exaggeration because I couldnt get the exposure time on the camera any lower, the left monitor looks pitch black in real life, but the 2005fpw obviously still has BIG problems.

2005fpw.jpg

halcyon said:
Mac theres no way this is how their monitor is designed, it is some kind of flaw in the manufacturing, because I have seen people who have a 2005fpw without any kind of light problems. And its not on ALL lcds.. for example here is a pic of my Samsung 710T right next to my 2005FPW, and in real life it has 0 light leak, it looks pitch black.

*That is supposed to be an all black background.
**The light is a SLIGHT exaggeration because I couldnt get the exposure time on the camera any lower, the left monitor looks pitch black in real life, but the 2005fpw obviously still has BIG problems.

2005fpw.jpg

Its a Lexux versus Chevey comparison. OMG I have become a Samsung fan boy! :cool:

Names were distorted so I would not get taken to court roflmao

cmacclel said:
The people that don't see it are the same people that will probably never notice a dead pixel either..... If the same panel and same backlights are used in every monitor I don't see how they can vary from 1" to 5" of bleeding. I could be wrong but doubt it.

Mac

For those of us that work in manufacturing, we can attest to these types of variations in each and every build (ppm). Companies try and keep the ppm level nominal, rather than having peaks and valleys.

If the problem arises in *every* unit, then it's an engineering / design flaw but since not *everyone* has the backlight issues, it's in the manufacturing process. I work for a company that manufactures gauges, shift lights, gauge clusters/displays, fuel sender units, etc etc. On something such as a boost gauge, there are numerous tasks in the manufacturing process than can cause a defect. If there is excessive pressure/force used in placing the rivet on to the dial, then it'll cause the faceplate to be uneven. If the calibration is not correct, it will cause the pointer to not set at zero. On the issue of the backlight, it's definately in the manufacturing process and not a design flaw.

I wonder if you request a Level 3 PPAP from Dell if they would be willing to supply you with the paperwork.

edit: spelling

I have 2 Sony 17" LCDs and the backlighting is perfect.

I have a Dell 2000FP and the backlighting is perfect.

I got two Dell 2001FPs (the original and the replacement) in August and the backlighting was as bad as Halcyon's picture. Not to mention the first one had 8 stuck on pixels and the replacement had 6 when I stopped counting. TERRIBLE I sent them both back. I was looking at getting the 2005FPW but it seems like Dell's quality control has gone to pot lately and so I'm keeping a lid on my Dell [monitor] purchases atm. Dell's quality control is as bad as their technical and RMA support, which you can read about my RMA experience on these monitors here http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1026836732&postcount=91

I'm probably gonna save a bit more and get the new Samsung 24" widescreen when it comes out. If Dell comes out with a 23" or 24" widescreen and things go good with it I might go with it since their free exchange and pickup is pretty good (as long as they don't mess it up) so can hopefully get a good one.

Called Dell today to get a replacement for my two day old "green lined" 2005FPW.

Holy crap, could returning something be any more difficult? First I had to wade through their phone system which doesn't seem to be too interested in Monitor problems. Once I finally picked a place to wait (customer service) on hold it was a good 15 minutes before I spoke to a human. Based on the voice I'm figuring I was talking to someone in India. The person got my story and said I needed to speak to tech support to complete the call, "let me transfer you", click. Oooh lookey a dial tone, great! Thanks so much. Guess we start over now huh?

Let's go through this again. Only I called the tech support this time. Well that person decided I needed to be transferred to a different department. They transferred me to another wrong department again and I got somebody without an "accent" so I'm guessing I was either in the USA or possibly Canada? He tells me that the person that transferred me must have misunderstood the issue since he only handles LCD TV's. Give me a break folks, I said the thing was a 2005FPW LCD COMPUTER MONITOR. Can I get clearer?

So he transfers me back to India and I have to start all over again. I'm starting to get steamed and I'm losing patience with these people who keep asking me for my damn service tag and what kind of PC did I buy again? Jesus people, it's just a monitor, it's bad, it's two days old and I want a NEW one. This person tells me "sorry", ya whatever, just get me a new monitor, PLEASE! Oh, "sorry", let me transfer you. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Sales, this is Ray. Sales? WTH am I speaking to sales for, I just bought a new monitor and all I want to do is get a replacement for my NEW monitor. Okay, so now Ray says if I want a NEW monitor I have to buy another monitor and return the old one. Otherwise if I want a replacement I will get a refurbished unit. WTF? Are you kidding me, a refurbished unit to replace my "bad from the get-go" BRAND NEW monitor? He says that is the way Dell works, you want a brand new one you have to order a brand new one, put another monitor on my credit card and then ask for a return authorization on the bad monitor. I'm so annoyed and am now late for work so I say fine, lets just do that. He takes my info, gives me the same price as before and says it shows December 7 as a ship date. Whatever another week, but he does tell me to go ahead and use the "green line" monitor until the new one shows up. Let me transfer you for the return authorization.

Back to India I go...explain it all again and get the authorization number for the return. Oh and please have it packed up for UPS pick up tomorrow. Tomorrow? WTF again, Ray said I could use it until the new one showed up. Well, I guess not. Oh, and it will be approximately 20 days from the time we receive your return until we will credit your account. By now, all my answers are whatever, whatever, whatever, please, just let me go to work...

Long story huh? Sorry, but I needed to get that out. I feel like I got the run around and Ray just got to add another sale to his X-mas bonus list. How that one poster on this forum has been able to do this three times already is beyond me. If this next one is trashed it goes back and Dell loses me as a customer, period. I'll wait for something else from somewhere else, cost be damned. I don't have time to play musical monitors.

I sure hope that I get a call from Customer Service as to how my shopping experience was with Dell.

Again, my apologies for the rant... :mad:

Steve M.

:mad:

Hmmm I was reassured by a guy on their tech support chat that I would receive a "Brand new" monitor...

I'll cross my fingers for you Halcyon. I'd be interested in your posting what you got when your replacement comes. New or refurbished, if you can tell...

Hey everyone, just checking in to say I just received my 2005FPW that I ordered on saturday. The pictures here don't do it justice; the screen and picture are beautiful. I only have two visible deadpixels and am more than happy with what I received. For those of you who are still on the fence, I say go for it. I am coming from a 19" Samsung CRT and a 12" ibook, btw. Well worth my $630.

hey guys,
I too got hold of Dell and managed to convinced them to send me a new one after going thru about 20 minutes of "read through check". Was told a new one will be here within 2 or 3 days. I think Dell is facing a lot of returns for this monitor these few days as the rep seems to be quit reluctant. In fact, they told me I will not be able to return the new monitor if I get the same issue again. I explained to them how can this be if it's a production issue or something which might affects the replacment monitor i'll be receiving. He finally gave in and pulled back his word.
Regarding people who received refurbished replacement, the dell rep told me that it only happens if you returned it after 21 days of use, and i'm guaranteed a new one since it's only a day.

Anybody who called for exchange got theirs yet? I would really like to see if the problem still persist (Hopefully NOT!!!) btw, mine was built on nov04 in mexico, revA)).

I've been looking very hard at mine the past few days and it's near perfect. I have very very small amount of backlight bleeding in the lower left corner. It took me 3 days worth of looking to notice and even then it only extends into the monitor about 3/4's of an inch. I'll never notice it.

damn, all these sound like horror stories, I wish you luck guys...

I thought mine was bad, but it might be just starting, effin dell...

Just wanted to throw in here that my 2005FPW also suffers from significant backlighting problems. It isn't as bad as the examples posted in this thread and elsewhere, but is definitely annoying.

I'm not quite sure what I'm going to do (yet). I'm leaning towards getting it replaced, but I've already gone 10 rounds with Dell wrt one of their $45 stackable coupons (which they insisted wasn't stackable).

Where is the service tag on these monitors? The Dell online chat mechanism insists on being presented with one, else it won't let you initiate a chat.

- Fred

there is no service tag those are only on computers, so just put in your customer number and use the customer service chat and tell them there is a tech problem or something, ive chatted multiple times without ever putting in the service tag.

How do you know the replaced LCD is brand new or refurbished? are there labels on the box or monitor saying "refurbished"?

I just got off the phone with Dell Support (after 30 min.) I talked to them Monday, when I first got the monitor, and got them to replace it with a new one. It is Thursday and the new one still has not shipped. I guess It will be here sometime next week. :mad: If it is bad I just might do like other people and just get a Samsung.

I've always liked samsung's product. My first lcd samsung 570v (tn+film) had to be returned twice to get a good one. First had a backlight issue, second had 2 dead pixels. In the end, I settled for 1 green pixel. However, my current lcd, samsung 172T (pva)
has no dead pixels and no backlight leakage whatsoever. I am however currently waiting on a 1905fp that I ordered. We'll see how good it is. Pcworld.com had a good review of it and liked it a lot. They actually gave it a better score than the 193p.

I've tried contacting Dell via their order support chat option, but I keep getting kicked out with a "you're not a home or home office customer" accusation. How can that be resolved?

- Fred

Back