AMD Catalyst 11.1a Hot-Fix Driver Information

The extension limits are in place for quake3.exe but no other game apparently. I wouldn't put any kind of priority on fixing that if I were AMD either actually. Not when there is a workaround...it just needs to be officially published IMO

We discovered it in this thread. Jedi Knight2/JKA/RTCW/SOF2 all need to be renamed to quake3.exe

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1559534&page=8

Last edited:
The extension limits are in place for quake3.exe but no other game apparently. I wouldn't put any kind of priority on fixing that if I were AMD either actually. Not when there is a workaround...it just needs to be officially published IMO

We discovered it in this thread. Jedi Knight2/JKA/RTCW/SOF2 all need to be renamed to quake3.exe

I am going to try this when I get home tonight. If it works, you are going to make 5 or 6 people in my clan very happy. Thanks for the info.

Quake 3 runs fine on my system after setting compatibility mode to XP SP3.

Anyway, lots of people are having the flickering issues. I really hope 11.1 fixes this shit.

Every game I have plays perfect without a problem. That is on a 5870 and a 6950. Not once have I had a problem with ATI drivers or games. So to each his own :)

Every game I have plays perfect without a problem. That is on a 5870 and a 6950. Not once have I had a problem with ATI drivers or games. So to each his own :)

Same here. Had a 4850, 4890, and now a 6950 (unlocked to 6970) and have not had any issues that are driver related. Most of my issues have been due to trying to wring just a little more out of my Q6600, and 3.32GHz is just all this one is going to give me.

it works! Spreadin' the news to everyone I know.

Google it. It's a known issue.

In a nutshell, games based on the Q3A engine won't run. SOF2 is my problem.

The theory is that there are too many extensions to OpenGL for the game to cope and it crashes.

And downloading the OpenGl dll extensions floating around don't do the trick? I did just that to fix the issues with Jedi Knight 2 on the m5870 and 6950 and it worked both times (used the files listed on the Steam forums for Star Wars games).

And downloading the OpenGl dll extensions floating around don't do the trick? I did just that to fix the issues with Jedi Knight 2 on the m5870 and 6950 and it worked both times (used the files listed on the Steam forums for Star Wars games).

Nah, the older ATI ones dont work with the 6850 and the wrappers are flagged by Punkbuster.

Back with AMD for the first time in years, do you know if these drivers linked by you are win 7 x86 or 64bit? Does it even matter, I'm thinking maybe the executable detects and extracts the right files.

I would assume it does the latter, as no-one seems to be encountering any issues so far.

Nah, the older ATI ones dont work with the 6850 and the wrappers are flagged by Punkbuster.

Wait, you guys are actually playing Q3? I thought that was defunct with the advent of QL. Even the pros have switched to QL.

If I were AMD I wouldn't give a fuck about fixing it either to be honest.

Just a case where we own a copy of the software and if we want to play it then we'd like for it to work.... :)

Can't find the option for Tessellation control..

The super meat boy issue still not resolve yet, low clock flickering is annoying as fuck to be honest..

Shansoft, is the war3 flickering due to clockspeed adjustments since the game doesn't require much horsepower? I guess it wouldnt happen if overclocking was on.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Shansoft, is the war3 flickering due to clockspeed adjustments since the game doesn't require much horsepower? I guess it wouldnt happen if overclocking was on.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

yep... its powerplay...

The driver is pretty good so far. I got a small performance boost in Dirt2 with AMD optimization turned on.

I turned Tessellation off and scored a P4464 in 3dmark11, about a 300ish point increase(Sapphire Toxic 6850 975/1250 )from default settings. I haven't yet ran it with AMD optimization turned on.

Wait, you guys are actually playing Q3? I thought that was defunct with the advent of QL. Even the pros have switched to QL.

If I were AMD I wouldn't give a fuck about fixing it either to be honest.

It's not Q3, its a game on that engine, SOF2 and it's a live and well with my clan. One of our members made a mod for it and we have a damn popular server running it.

Very nice mentality that one of: "if I were AMD I wouldn't give a fuck about fixing it either to be honest.". The fact is that many Q3 engine (or ID Tech 3) games are still being sold on Steam and other digital download services, nobody should have to rename the exe to "Quake3.exe", AMD should do something about it and then they wonder why their drivers have such a "good" reputation. By the way my video card is a AMD Radeon HD5750 (and considering switching to a NV GTX 460 because of this matter). Just my 2 cents on the matter.

Wait, where is the driver? Please? I need use of the new CCC version 2 so I hav access to features I need to tweek my 42" LCD LG

Very nice mentality that one of: "if I were AMD I wouldn't give a fuck about fixing it either to be honest.". The fact is that many Q3 engine (or ID Tech 3) games are still being sold on Steam and other digital download services, nobody should have to rename the exe to "Quake3.exe", AMD should do something about it and then they wonder why their drivers have such a "good" reputation. By the way my video card is a AMD Radeon HD5750 (and considering switching to a NV GTX 460 because of this matter). Just my 2 cents on the matter.

I play Quake 3 and bought Jedi Knight 2 on steam. Really, I consider this an absolute non issue as these games are over 10 years old. Why dedicate engineering resources to this?

Wait, where is the driver? Please? I need use of the new CCC version 2 so I hav access to features I need to tweek my 42" LCD LG

According to articles I've read, they are not due to be released until Jan 26th.... :(

I wonder if this will fix the screen shaking and display driver crashing that I and few other have been getting since 10.11/10.12

All of you dismissing Q3 as a non-issue due to its age are missing two important points. For one, some people still want to play it and the games that use it's engine, that IS an issue.

The second and most important issue, and the reason I will not touch anything red is the underlying issue. AMD has absolutely terribad support for OGL, as shown in Q3 and many many open sourced games and applications. This also is bad for linux as most applications are OGL, as DX is proprietary....

Looks like the HD5xxx cards are lost and forgotten... guess I will never have a truly 100% working crossfire setup :(

Tax return time = new Nvidia card on my wish list.

That's how ATI rolls. One of the many reasons I dumped my Radeon HD 5970.

Some of you have serious reading comprehension problems.

I said "I wouldn't give a fuck about fixing it either if I were AMD" in reference to Quake 3 MP specifically, i.e., the post where someone said that the the OpenGL DLL I mentioned worked, but caused issues with Punkbuster for Quake 3.

In other words, for most people, downloading that one file and placing it in the gamedata directory works for most if not all Q3-based games. It just seems to be an issue for MP in Q3, which really isn't AMD's problem if you are playing MP in an ancient game that has been supplanted by its free, web-based version that even the pros have moved to.

Anyone with a 6900 series install the leak? I read on guru3d that EQ AA was missing as an option, anyone able to verify this.

Some of you have serious reading comprehension problems.

I said "I wouldn't give a fuck about fixing it either if I were AMD" in reference to Quake 3 MP specifically, i.e., the post where someone said that the the OpenGL DLL I mentioned worked, but caused issues with Punkbuster for Quake 3.

In other words, for most people, downloading that one file and placing it in the gamedata directory works for most if not all Q3-based games. It just seems to be an issue for MP in Q3, which really isn't AMD's problem if you are playing MP in an ancient game that has been supplanted by its free, web-based version that even the pros have moved to.

LOL, it must have been real damn hard for them to do with Catalyst AI since, afterall, they did it. They just didn't program Catalyst AI with all the various names of the games.

And this is Mac OS, this is PC. Things are backwards compatible.

Looks like the HD5xxx cards are lost and forgotten... guess I will never have a truly 100% working crossfire setup :(

Tax return time = new Nvidia card on my wish list.

That's how ATI rolls. One of the many reasons I dumped my Radeon HD 5970.

There are multiple optimisations that take place - generic driver optimzations, API specific optimizations, architecture specific opimizations, GPU configuration optimizations, etc., etc. The boards listed here are just the improvements for the boards that we have measured for this specific set of drivers - some of which will be generic, others that won't. It is, however, reasonable to expect that HD 6000 (and even more sof for 6900 vs 6800) will have more room for performance due to the newness of the products.

Please. Fix. PowerPlay. For. Mobility.

I have no issue with Mobility, but their desktop PowerPlay is a plague right now, it kept making low demand games like WC3 and Super meat boy flickering..

I have no issue with Mobility, but their desktop PowerPlay is a plague right now, it kept making low demand games like WC3 and Super meat boy flickering..
I've been flirting with simply disabling PowerPlay entirely, just let the card run at full 3D clocks at all times so it works correctly.

This can be done with MSI Afterburner, if anyone is interested in trying it. I'd be curious what it does to our idle power consumption, though...

Can anyone elaborate on how easy it is to set clock speeds (and their respective power states) on HD6 cards? It's not a huge issue for me apart from extra noise, but powerplay is buggy as hell on them right now, and I know what the clocks should be and when, I'd like to just manually adjust them for each task, just want to know which program I can do this with.

Can anyone elaborate on how easy it is to set clock speeds (and their respective power states) on HD6 cards? It's not a huge issue for me apart from extra noise, but powerplay is buggy as hell on them right now, and I know what the clocks should be and when, I'd like to just manually adjust them for each task, just want to know which program I can do this with.

RBE can do this. Although, I'm not sure if they implemented it when they added support for the 69xx cards, maybe check the change log. Otherwise, I suppose you could use something like MSI Afterburner, and create profiles for specific tasks and switch between them (can be set by hotkeys).

Back