AMD Catalyst 11.1a Hot-Fix Driver Information

Im assuming from reading some of the other posts on here they do nothing for 5000 series? Im still running 10.10e would there be any reason for me to switch?

Im assuming from reading some of the other posts on here they do nothing for 5000 series? Im still running 10.10e would there be any reason for me to switch?

I just downloaded it. Seems pretty good. Frame rates seem about the same but there is definitely one benchmark where I am definitely getting much higher fps - the Stone Giant demo. I'm guessing it has something to do with the new Tesellation option that was added to the CCC? Default is set to AMD Optimized.

Can anyone elaborate on how easy it is to set clock speeds (and their respective power states) on HD6 cards? It's not a huge issue for me apart from extra noise, but powerplay is buggy as hell on them right now, and I know what the clocks should be and when, I'd like to just manually adjust them for each task, just want to know which program I can do this with.

MSI afterburner can handle this, just set up different clocks for different situation as different profiles.

Using 11.1a for my XFire 5850s.

My main display is on DisplayPort and my Wacom Cintiq is on DVI.

With the 11.1a... I get a black screen. When I remove the Wacom off the DVI port and reboot, I can get to my desktop interface. While it is running, I reattached the Wacom and both screens immediately black-screens.

System restored to 10.12, both monitors work fine. I can't do without my Wacom as my secondary monitor... can someone help? Or wait for WHQL? :confused:

Cheers!

Just because a change isn't documented doesn't mean it's not there... I highly suspect most driver releases from nVidia and AMD have undocumented changes/improvements, even ones that they don't even know about. Of course, they can also break things, but generally I think both companies tend to improve with every driver release.

That's the nature of software development. It's impossible to keep track of everything.

Just benchmarked Dirt II. Frame rates seem improved a bit. Got an average of 112 fps with a minimum of 92 fps at 1920 x 1080 with max everything at 4x MSAA. My previous highs on older drivers were always less than 110.

I also installed the 11.1a & I do alittle improvement in FPS. battlefield in atleast my eyes seems to run alot smoother for me atleast.

I haven't tested it with much, but this is the best driver since the 10.10e's for the 68xx series.

Some of you have serious reading comprehension problems.

I said "I wouldn't give a fuck about fixing it either if I were AMD" in reference to Quake 3 MP specifically, i.e., the post where someone said that the the OpenGL DLL I mentioned worked, but caused issues with Punkbuster for Quake 3.

In other words, for most people, downloading that one file and placing it in the gamedata directory works for most if not all Q3-based games. It just seems to be an issue for MP in Q3, which really isn't AMD's problem if you are playing MP in an ancient game that has been supplanted by its free, web-based version that even the pros have moved to.

Yes, tens of thousands of non technical people should have to hack their games instead of 1 AMD engineer spending 1 or 2 hours to fix a driver problem they have a clear fix for. ATI, The Way It's Meant To Be Hacked.

(I have a 5870 and love playing old games cranked up with my friends who have various systems.)

We received an update today from the folks at AMD regarding the information given to us earlier this week on the upcoming Catalyst 11.1a hot-fix drivers. The driver development team has found and fixed an OGL Tessellation bug that invalidates the Heaven scores posted in the earlier update. That said, they say they have seen significant performance gains in TessMark after implementing the fix. AMD says the drivers are still on track for January 26th.

I would like to inform you that there’s an update to the new catalyst 11.1a Hot-Fix that I sent out on Monday evening. This update fixes an OGL Tessellation bug that our Driver team had discovered. The Heaven scores reported in my earlier email are no longer accurate due to this fix. However, in TessMark there has been some significant gains in performance.

Last edited:
We received an update today from the folks at AMD regarding the information given to us earlier this week on the upcoming Catalyst 11.1a hot-fix drivers. The driver development team has found and fixed an OGL Tessellation bug that invalidates the Heaven scores posted in the earlier update. That said, they say they have seen significant performance gains in TessMark after implementing the fix. AMD says the drivers are still on track for January 25th.

Thanks for the update. I've been pleased with the new drivers so far.

I have no issue with Mobility, but their desktop PowerPlay is a plague right now, it kept making low demand games like WC3 and Super meat boy flickering..
Well, it's not working on my Mobility HD 4670. The last driver where PP worked was from early last year.

Wonder if they gotten around to fixing the display driver stopped responding error??
Or the random greyscreen crash that i still have. I'm using the 10.12 cats at the moment, and still having these annoying issues when using Windows 7.

Yes, tens of thousands of non technical people should have to hack their games instead of 1 AMD engineer spending 1 or 2 hours to fix a driver problem they have a clear fix for. ATI, The Way It's Meant To Be Hacked.

(I have a 5870 and love playing old games cranked up with my friends who have various systems.)

So tens of thousands of people are playing Q3A on new ATI 5000/6000 graphics cards...I don''t think so! :rolleyes:

The game is over ten years old so yes, find a work around and move on already...I prefer that ATI engineers spend those couple of hours on current game issues...

AMD sent us a press release on the upcoming Catalyst Hot-Fix 11.1a Drivers. We spoke to the folks at AMD directly and they said these drivers will be publicly available on January 26th:

Can they do something about Metro 2033 and the shadows outside? I have a 5870 and once I got outside (I think the level is called Dead City), turning your view from left to right, distant shadows seem to rotate. From the forum reading I've done it seems to only affect Radeon cards and only after Calalyst 10.9.

I have no issue with Mobility, but their desktop PowerPlay is a plague right now, it kept making low demand games like WC3 and Super meat boy flickering..

I don't have any flickering in WC3 or Super Meat Boy. Tested with 10.12 and 11.1a on a 6950.

And yes, reading comprehension people. They're not even the full release notes yet everyone is still freaking out and complaining about old games.

The latest Catalyst Hot-Fix; (11.1a) offers increased performance brings a slew of new features and should be the driver used for any performance testing. Below are a few of the highlights from this driver:

Performance improvements for the AMD Radeon HD 6800 & HD 6900 series include but not limited to:

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess i'll give them a shot. I'm running the 10.9's right now as anything other than that causes flickering in games and in my internet browsers. Has anybody with flickering problems benefited from this driver release?

There is something really wrong with a company when they release an 11.1Hotfix before 11.1

Guess AMD has just accepted that that is all there drivers will ever be. *sigh*.

I think AMD's driver team is in the shit. They have a real problem on their hands now.

Each WHQL driver is 3 months old before it's officially released. That is a long time especially when you launch new products, as maybe they don't get much time with the actual working chip before they have to make the driver that will coincide with the time that the product is estimated to be released.

I think AMD needs to cut out the 3 sets of drivers that are going through WHQL, and push the next version after the 11.1 hotfix as the WHQL driver in 1 months time.

It's got to the point where most of us have to go back 2 to 3 driver versions if you want WHQL drivers, no wonder we are having lots of driver issues these days.

I think AMD's driver team is in the shit. They have a real problem on their hands now.

They've had a problem since Catalyst 9.11, when the HD 5000 series of cards launched. We've had serious bugs with PowerPlay, hardware video acceleration, and OpenGL since day one (though the issues with OpenGL didn't boil over until Catalyst 10.5 when we finally got enough OpenGL extensions to start breaking things).

Coming up on 16 months, still waiting for my card to function properly :(

Wish I could just RMA it over-and-over until ASUS gives up and sends me an Nvidia card instead...

Each WHQL driver is 3 months old before it's officially released. That is a long time especially when you launch new products, as maybe they don't get much time with the actual working chip before they have to make the driver that will coincide with the time that the product is estimated to be released.

I think AMD needs to cut out the 3 sets of drivers that are going through WHQL, and push the next version after the 11.1 hotfix as the WHQL driver in 1 months time.

It's got to the point where most of us have to go back 2 to 3 driver versions if you want WHQL drivers, no wonder we are having lots of driver issues these days.

That's a very good point. Not only that, but when you fall back so far in the process. there are a lot of things overlooked , missed , or put off while the team feels the pressure to put something out once a month. I know at my work. when something falls behind. Things you would normally do with quality in mind. is replaced with shortcuts. That may or may not lead to problems down the road.

Seriously. I mean, they could have specific people working on certain things but given the collective nature of drivers, you'd think they would focus on the more pressing issues. Then again, it is possible that the improves are residual.

But when they pretty much list it as the first thing...

Maybe it isn't pressing to them because most of their user base does not play Quake 3 anymore?

Maybe it isn't pressing to them because most of their user base does not play Quake 3 anymore?
Thing is, the issue is bigger than just one game (Quake 3) not working right. Any older OpenGL application that loads extensions in a similar manner will crash unless the drivers set an extension limit.

Nvidia fixed this by detecting the requested OpenGL version and setting a limit accordingly (quick and easy global fix for all older OpenGL applications). ATi is trying to do it on a per-application basis with their existing game-profile system, which means anything that needs an extension limit that isn't profiled (or isn't detected properly) will crash.

This isn't a hard thing to fix. It blows my mind that they haven't resolved it after all this time.

If this is a big issue, I would suggest spamming this along with the complaints:
http://www.amdsurveys.com/se.ashx?s=5A1E27D27E29B0E3

With enough feedback, AMD might consider spending some resources on this. :)
I fill out a bunch of reports with every driver release (usually the same ones...over and over...)

It's not going to take a team of developers a number of days to sort this out. One guy, 20 minutes tops, they could have this hammered out and have a good chunk of legacy support up to par again.

blame microsoft for the WHQL crap, thats completely out of AMD's hands.

I fill out a bunch of reports with every driver release (usually the same ones...over and over...)

It's not going to take a team of developers a number of days to sort this out. One guy, 20 minutes tops, they could have this hammered out and have a good chunk of legacy support up to par again.

Thats good, but not enough. :)

You should bookmark that link and spam it so others use it as well. I think the list the priorities after the amount of feedback. Everyone who have a complaint about drivers, should use that feedback form and also include it in their complaints in forums. Here's Nvidia's feedback form as well:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/driverqualityassurance.html

There are too many bitching about something (and in many cases, that something is a 1d107 error) and many think that if they create enough bad publicity, things gets fixed. It doesn't work. OpenGL legacy support is still broken.

Adding these links to the post, rallying for more to give feedback directly to those that actually can do something about it, might turn out to be working better. OpenGL legacy support is an actual global broken thing and those that read this thread should add feedback to support getting this fixed.

Last edited:
Kinda disappointed, not seeing any speed improvement at all with these new drivers.

Looks like the HD5xxx cards are lost and forgotten... guess I will never have a truly 100% working crossfire setup :(

Tax return time = new Nvidia card on my wish list.

Yeah, I had received a second 5770 for Christmas this year and was psyched. Got them both hooked up and had so much trouble with micro-stuttering and less than average performance that I just returned the one I got for Christmas and now I'm trying to sell my other 5770 to get a 6870. I almost decided to go with Nvidia but they are just too expensive.

Each WHQL driver is 3 months old before it's officially released.
WHQL only takes days (from compile date to submission to user download: 11 days on the current nvidia drivers and 19 days on Cat 10.12, which included the Thanksgiving holiday weekend). Are you talking about the drivers that MS provides for download?

In any case, WHQL does not take months. I don't understand why the quoted claim is repeated over and other. A simple check of the file dates shows the idea is completely wrong.

Yeah, I had received a second 5770 for Christmas this year and was psyched. Got them both hooked up and had so much trouble with micro-stuttering and less than average performance that I just returned the one I got for Christmas and now I'm trying to sell my other 5770 to get a 6870. I almost decided to go with Nvidia but they are just too expensive.

CFX in the 5000 generation was just totally FUBAR. My 5970 was faster with CFX off, the microstutter was too much. I've heard the 6000 series fixed this but I'll hold onto my money for a while.

CFX in the 5000 generation was just totally FUBAR. My 5970 was faster with CFX off, the microstutter was too much. I've heard the 6000 series fixed this but I'll hold onto my money for a while.

This is not true of the entire generation, else it would be reported as such. CF performance on the HD5s was poor in a few problematic titles, but on the whole it was at least as good as with the HD4 series.

These have been the best drivers for me in quite awhile, but I still get microstuttering quite a bit.

Back