Bfg 7800gs Oc Agp

The 3D Mark 05 score was the overclocked score, the stock score was right around 6000. Sorry I'm at work and can't get you the actual score.

The back of the card has 1 DVI 1 VGA and 1 S-Video. I think it support HDTV but I'm not sure. I'll look at the box when I get home.

seeing as you can get a evga 7800gt and sli motherboard for $340.00 after $20.00 rebate.
http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merc...ore_Code=M&Product_Code=1909641&AFFIL=TH&NR=1

this would be good for people with old systems that would be a waste of such a powerful video card, a highend 754 socket sytems would be the only real use for this card, cause if you are on a 939 socket agp system, why not just get a free sli motherboard and faster 7800gt for the same price, as the 7800gs, and move all your other stuff over.

QUESTION

Does the card support transparency and gamma corrected anti-aliasing modes?

KickAssCop said:
QUESTION

Does the card support transparency and gamma corrected anti-aliasing modes?
A little over 2 weeks ago Hexus had a news posting about the release of the 7800 GS AGP. It was supposed to be launched on Feb 2nd and be a bridged G70 chip. So it should support whatever features the 7800GT/GTX support since it uses a G70 core.

I wouldn't ask the OP to remove the heatsink to check if the bridge is on package or not. :p

tbogstad said:
seeing as you can get a evga 7800gt and sli motherboard for $340.00 after $20.00 rebate.
http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merc...ore_Code=M&Product_Code=1909641&AFFIL=TH&NR=1

this would be good for people with old systems that would be a waste of such a powerful video card, a highend 754 socket sytems would be the only real use for this card, cause if you are on a 939 socket agp system, why not just get a free sli motherboard and faster 7800gt for the same price, as the 7800gs, and move all your other stuff over.

Damn, that's a good deal for a mobo and vidcard. Looks like I have some decisions to make. I'd havta get a new CPU as well, but i was planning on anyways.

Why is there no info at the Evga, XFX and BFG sites about a 7800 GS AGP card. Where is it. I don't beleive it.

Lestang said:
Why is there no info at the Evga, XFX and BFG sites about a 7800 GS AGP card. Where is it. I don't beleive it.
Because they're all still under an NDA until the official launch date. The OP had an inside connection of some kind and got his hands on a card that was pre-stocked at a retail store in preparation for the launch. That's how hard launches happen--the cards have to be in place well in advance. Nobody's gonna try to have a truck show up on the day of the launch in order to stock the cards "just-in-time," too many things could go wrong.

I too wish there was more info out on the card, even before its release... would be nice to know the specs (pipes, vertexes, etc etc)...

Commander Suzdal said:
Because they're all still under an NDA until the official launch date. The OP had an inside connection of some kind and got his hands on a card that was pre-stocked at a retail store in preparation for the launch. That's how hard launches happen--the cards have to be in place well in advance. Nobody's gonna try to have a truck show up on the day of the launch in order to stock the cards "just-in-time," too many things could go wrong.

qft

when for did it with the mustang origionally there was a bretty big mess that insued. buy a spot on all (4) channels at the same time and run the commercial, people want to see them so they go to the dealer the next day and its like black friday.

these card look to finally please the agp crowd, we hope.

BLiTzKRiEG said:
I too wish there was more info out on the card, even before its release... would be nice to know the specs (pipes, vertexes, etc etc)...
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2616&p=1

● 375 MHz Core/1000 Mhz Memory (BFG version: 400 MHz/1250 MHz respectively, according to our pal saintrobyn);

The memory clockspeed was probably changed to 1200 Mhz default (instead of 1000 MHz) after the article already was written - remember, that article's date is: November 22nd, 2005. ;)

● 16 pipes/6 vertex shaders (same amount as GeForce 6800 GT/Ultra, but slightly more efficient due to newer generation 7 core).

It should perform slightly better than a 6800 Ultra (and a lot better in high-resolutions), but run much cooler and have better features (TAA etc.). Obviously the last AGP graphics card ever by nVidia. All I can say is: EGGcellent. :)

Well some bad news for mwave purchases. They just called me and stated the card is listed as "discontinued" in their system and they were going to cancel my order. :mad:

Dang... That does sound like a nice bang for the buck card, and the last great AGP run... I wanna see some benchies on it too.

dilmonen said:
Well some bad news for mwave purchases. They just called me and stated the card is listed as "discontinued" in their system and they were going to cancel my order. :mad:
Fuckers. :mad: Damn it! :mad:

I edited my earlier post to reflect this out of stock situation. Hopefully someone still has truck-loads of these cards available... :(

Edit:
http://www.techonweb.com/products/productdetail.aspx?id=C51394&src=FG

This place is out of stock as well, but it has the PNY version for the lowest price...$291. Interesting...

And it looks like Bit-Tech.net was right since December last year:

Bit-Tech.net said:
For those who can't read Chinese, here is a rough translation of the HKEPC forum post:

NVIDIA is showcasing the new 7800 GS to select companies to sell in the future. They say it will be the successor to the 6800 GT/Ultra for AGP owners. They say it'll sport a 375MHz core clock with 256MB of GDDR3 and 256-bit memory interface. Memory at a 1000MHz. All the same technology from a G70 except it'll have 16 pixel pipelines instead of twenty or twenty-four.

I think this is great news for people with solid AGP systems looking for a card that will increase performance in newer games. A 6800 GT/Ultra, or a X800 XL/XT AGP can run you from anywhere of $280 to $450. Seeing as you can get a 7800GT PCIe for $279 at newegg.com it hardly seems fair to AGP owners like myself. Since the card is of the "GS" name like the 6800GS it'll will probobly be easy on your pockets to.

Will you be maxing out your Socket 478/462 system? Or are you saving for an SLi monstrosity?
Sincere thanks to Adrian Diaz for the translation.
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2005/12/01/geforce_7800_gs_agp/

tbogstad said:

yeah, great for people with full towers. i have a shuttle sn95g5 xpc right now. so i'd need a whole new setup to do that. hence my getting an agp 7800gs. should last me until i upgrade the whole system to pci-e.

7800 GS for $300+ or a 6800 GS for $200? I'm trying to decide...
I currently have a 3.4 GHz Northwood, 1 GB RAM, 9800 Pro 128 MB. I'm not upgrading until the end of this year/beginning of next.

dilmonen said:
yeah, great for people with full towers. i have a shuttle sn95g5 xpc right now. so i'd need a whole new setup to do that. hence my getting an agp 7800gs. should last me until i upgrade the whole system to pci-e.

Im in the same boat as you...

The main reason I went with this card is becauase I didn't want to upgrade until the new AMD socket comes out. The motherboard and processor I am running now were given to me by a friend that just upgraded. The only PCI-E board I can find for a 940 Pin FX-53 is from Foxconn and it is $250. This card buys me some more time.

This is a very tempting card...on one hand I want a good card for BF2, on the other hand it would be on my fileserver (3.06Northwood / NeoHE 550 / 13 HDD) but i'm concerened about the power draw (currently using onboard vga) and the cpu bottle neck.

Hopefully reviewers will also do a cpu scaling chart with this agp card.

wow, this is interesting.

I wish it could be quadro modded somehow.

redfoot12 said:
I currently have a 3.4 GHz Northwood, 1 GB RAM, 9800 Pro 128 MB. I'm not upgrading until the end of this year/beginning of next.

I have this problem too, except I'm looking at a 6800GT vs a 7800GS.

Not all GTs are the same..

there are like 11 models of 7800GT from 400/1000 to 475/1125.
The GS is stock at 375/xxxx (BFG is 400/1250) So expect the same thing in 6 weeks to 3 months from manufacurers with the GS. I would not be suprised to see some OC's on here to 500/1350 or better. The cooling solution is the same as the GT, so if they have at all improved the core, expect even better overclocks.

The performance isn't what you start with, it's what you end up with.

what drivers are you usin on the card. try the beta 83.xx or whatever from guru3d.com. supposidly had support for 7800GS

I think the topic creator said something about getting it for 349US that seems like a good price point for it. Right between the MSRP's of 6800 GS and 7800 GT.

coldpower27 said:
I think the topic creator said something about getting it for 349US that seems like a good price point for it. Right between the MSRP's of 6800 GS and 7800 GT.

OK, let me clear a few things up:

1) I never said I paid $349.99 for the card, that is just the retail price. I get employee pricing which is significantly cheaper. So yes my insider source was me. :)

2) There is no street date for this card at least as far as CompUSA is concerned. After I posted this last night I contacted the buyer that handles BFG and he said that we are welcome to sell the cards now. I'm sure other retailers and e-tailers will soon follow.

Oh for all of you wondering, the 3D Mark 06 score for this card when overclocked is 3249.

man, dropping another 350 just for a 1000 point increase in 3dmark 06..... idunno....i think i'll just wait to get a new mbd and next gen video card....

kuyaglen said:
This is a very tempting card...on one hand I want a good card for BF2, on the other hand it would be on my fileserver (3.06Northwood / NeoHE 550 / 13 HDD) but i'm concerened about the power draw (currently using onboard vga) and the cpu bottle neck.

Hopefully reviewers will also do a cpu scaling chart with this agp card.
Hear, hear! If this thing drops to about $250, and if it isn't insanely crippled by my Athlon XP, I will probably use it to stave off the big CPU/MB/GPU upgrade a little longer. If the XP holds it back too much, might as well save for the big bite.

this all sounds familiar.. just like when the 7800GTX was first releasing they were over priced!.. way over MSRP... and now this card.. ill wat a month...

question.. some people know about this issue some dont.. the 6800 bug with Nforce 3 chipsets... do you elieve this card will have that issue?... or will it be the holy god and solve all the nforce 3 problems?

To the original poster:

Can you post the "power requirements", if it was posted on the box? I'm heavily considering this card (or from another company), ie watt/12+ requirement; I'm considering a new PSU just in case the one I have is just not enough...

Darn I just ordered a evga 6800GS CO...oh well I probably couldn't have afforded the difference anyway.

And besides if I get lucky I might be able to use evga's trade-up on it.

redfoot12 said:

Without a doubt, you should buy the 7800 GS! I have a 9800 Pro in my other machine which also has a P4 in it....a 2.8GHz O/Ced to 3GHz with 1GB of RAM. Anyway the difference won't be that great going from a 9800P to a 6800 GS. I honestly didn't see that much difference going from a 9800P to a 7800 GTX myself and I'm pretty anal about these things. Maybe my expectations were too high or something but I wasn't really pleased until I went to my current 7800 GTX 512. I felt that the 7800 GTX should have performed like the 7800 512.

So for me at least, there would be no question as to which one to get. The 7800 GS wins hands down! Oh and I'd get either a BFG or an eVGA...that is assuming they'll make one.

saintrobyn said:
Oh for all of you wondering, the 3D Mark 06 score for this card when overclocked is 3249.

Only 400 points more than my 6800GS AGP...

What speeds was it overclocked to?

BLiTzKRiEG said:
Only 400 points more than my 6800GS AGP...

What speeds was it overclocked to?

I have settled on a healthy and stable overclock of 470 / 1350. The drivers I am using are the Forceware 83.10 which I was able to use once I hacked the .inf install file. Like I said I really could care less about the 3D Mark score, what I care about is the fluidity of the games I play. The only thing I look at 3d Mark for is a comparison of how my system was vs how my system is after a change and as a way of testing stability after I upgrade or overclock.

Umi.Ryuuzaki said:
To the original poster:

Can you post the "power requirements", if it was posted on the box? I'm heavily considering this card (or from another company), ie watt/12+ requirement; I'm considering a new PSU just in case the one I have is just not enough...

Here is what the box states as a power requirement:
"A minimum 400W system power supply (with 12V current rating of 20A or more)

Kwincy said:
Also, does this card support HDTV output? I can get rid of my crt and use my 30 inch widescreen tube-based TV if it does. My 6800 OC AGP doesn't.

Kwincy

The box does state that it will do play back of True High Definition Video, for what ever it is worth.

saintrobyn said:
Here is what the box states as a power requirement:
"A minimum 400W system power supply (with 12V current rating of 20A or more)

Excellent, sounds good. I meet it. Now, to find one out here in the SF Bay Area...LOL.

I think I got too excited too soon....coming from a 6800gt, I don't really think I'll be seeing much of a boost. At least not one strong enough to justify the current price point, then again that could change once proper drivers are released for it. If it finally settles below the price point of the 7800gt, then it'd make more sense, but I think as for now because 754 motherboard's with pci-e are so cheap, paying 350 for a vid card with sub 7800gt performance isn't the best decision for me.

I think I'll just continue on my wait for AM2...or if I get impatient maybe I'll grab a pcie 754 motherboard and sell my mobo and vid card while I can still get something for them :D

quadnad said:
I think I got too excited too soon....coming from a 6800gt, I don't really think I'll be seeing much of a boost. At least not one strong enough to justify the current price point, then again that could change once proper drivers are released for it. If it finally settles below the price point of the 7800gt, then it'd make more sense, but I think as for now because 754 motherboard's with pci-e are so cheap, paying 350 for a vid card with sub 7800gt performance isn't the best decision for me.

I think I'll just continue on my wait for AM2...or if I get impatient maybe I'll grab a pcie 754 motherboard and sell my mobo and vid card while I can still get something for them :D

For me it wasn't a hasty decision. My wife wanted an update to the videocard in her system and I was about to blow close to $800 getting a 7800GT, 1GB more of ECC Registered PC3200 RAM, and a Foxconn NFPIK8AA-8EKRS which is the only SLI, 940 Pin, single proc board I can find.

When this card came in it solved my problems, I gave my wife my 6800GT and I was able to hold off on an upgrade until the AM2 procs come out.

saintrobyn said:
For me it wasn't a hasty decision. My wife wanted an update to the videocard in her system and I was about to blow close to $800 getting a 7800GT, 1GB more of ECC Registered PC3200 RAM, and a Foxconn NFPIK8AA-8EKRS which is the only SLI, 940 Pin, single proc board I can find.

When this card came in it solved my problems, I gave my wife my 6800GT and I was able to hold off on an upgrade until the AM2 procs come out.

Makes a hell of a lot more sense for you. I'm just dissapointed because I was hoping for FAR better performance (~7800gt+), so I could justify the purchase :)

Come on man, be realistic. :) It's called 7800GS, and not GT, for a reason. It has only 16 pipes, not 20, thus you can expect it to perform about the same as a 6800 Ultra, and perhaps even better in high resolutions. If you already own a 6800 GS, 6800 GT or 6800 Ultra, they're simply to close in performance to justify the purchase of this card. But it's a great graphics card for anyone moving from a 6800 and down. Like me for instance (6600 GT). ;)

Back