Bfg 7800gs Oc Agp

Sheesh, $350?!? Screw B&M stores... A quick search online and tehre are places taking pre-orders for under $300... Well, at least a PNY version is...

Onsale.com = $283.99
digitallyunique.com = $289.95
TechOnWeb.com = $291.72

This card looks to be an awesome value to me. Any my friend will FREAK when he upgrades from his 9600XT to one of these babies... And then just wet himself multiple times when it is overclocked...

Can't wait!

-JB

ShnikeJSB said:
Sheesh, $350?!? Screw B&M stores... A quick search online and tehre are places taking pre-orders for under $300... Well, at least a PNY version is...

Onsale.com = $283.99
digitallyunique.com = $289.95
TechOnWeb.com = $291.72

Nice find. :D

This card looks to be an awesome value to me. Any my friend will FREAK when he upgrades from his 9600XT to one of these babies... And then just wet himself multiple times when it is overclocked...

Can't wait!

-JB

LOL, just remind him not to get semen on his GeForce 7800 GS, like the someone did on their GeForce 6800 Ultra . :p

CKTurbo128 said:
Nice find. :D

LOL, just remind him not to get semen on his GeForce 7800 GS, like the someone did on their GeForce 6800 Ultra . :p

Yeah, I thought it was a pretty good find. Not quite [H]ot until it is actually available though.

As for that link, I must say, that was pretty friggin' hilarious!!! ROFLMAO! There is NO way that guy jerked onto his card...

Classic...

-JB

I just picked up a BFG 7800 GS from work as well. Its going in my extra system- I'll get some benchmarks when I get a chance.

System Specs:
Shuttle G4 8590
754pin A64 3700+
1 gb DDR 3200 (1 stick)
200GB WD 8mb 7200rpm HD
16x DL DVD+-RW drive
BFG 7800 GS OC AGP
Total = $ 700 + Tax. :)

BTW, my store (BBY) has had the 7800 GS's on the shelf for about a week just chillen- I think we are selling them for $299. Not a bad upgrade at all for those of you on a 9800XT or a 6800GT.

I decided to pick one up for the Shuttle which I bought on impulse at a great deal- Not sure exactly what Im going to use it for, but Im sure it would make a killed LAN rig.

EDIT: The above system is brand new, so I have ZERO software on it for benchmarking right now. Im currently downloading 3dMark and installing some games. I might even throw up a mini review if I get the time to get this finished.

still looking to nab one of these, hopefully this week, as i ship out my 6800ultra tommorrow.

bfg prefered, especially if it can be had for 300$

Schmiggy_JK23 said:
Im not quite sure. They guy said they had a 7800gs pci-e, how in the know he is, im not sure, maybe he was half clueless and thought I said 7800gt. Ill call back tommorrow and hopefully catch someone else who knows what is up.

hes wrong there is no pcie 7800gs sku (i work at compusa) and yes there was an email sent out saying to NOT sell the cards untill launch date, CompUSA in albuqerque, NM has 8 of them....im hording them behind my tech counter... :D

Yeah, does anybody know when the launch date is for these suckers? Or when the NDA lifts?
I hope I can grab one when they come out.

Anyone heard anything from EVGA on this card? My trade up ends on the 15th and if this doesn't come out it will be the 6800gs co.

i was under the assumption the release date was the 6th, thats what my local compusa told me anyways

349.99$

Now if we can get some info on unlockable pipes, though early reports suggest its a probably not.

Im running 470/1380 right now, just fine too.

this thing overclocks nice.

got mine tonight!! gonna run some benchies and such now :> ....280 employee discount btw....350 normal price.

If the 7800GS starts selling like hotcakes -- and with most people still using AGP systems I suspect it will -- do you think ATI will answer with e.g. an X1800 AGP? I'm not one to push for yesterday's technology, OTOH I seriously don't understand the rush to bury AGP, at least not yet. Does an AGP8X bus ever go fully utilized? If not, what's the point of PCI-E 16X (again, at least for now)?

Anyway if AGP becomes an exclusive Nvidia realm I hope they take full advantage of it. Maybe a 7800GT AGP or even G71/7900 AGP (drool).

link to review

This card is kinda crappy guys. dont let the 7 being the first digit fool you. get a x850 xt for 200 and save 150.

i guess u really have to overclock it to see a difference.

There are no x850 xt available at 200.00 in AGP. Remember we are talking agp here.

there was a 200 dollar deal at micro center recently iono if its still going.

Nice to see so many of these things hitting the shelves early.

However, I agree with what has been said above, if you can save any decent amount of money and you're only looking for a card to hold you over until AM2 then just pickup an X800XT or X850XT and overclock it. There are some instances where the 7800GS takes a lead ahead of the X850XT at stock clocks, and it does very well when overclocked, but an overclocked X800XT or X850XT would still keep it fairly close.

I guess if it was going to be at least a semi-permanent card for something it'd still make more sense to go with the 7800GS for the full SM3 support and whatnot, but I'd rather have more fun overclocking another X800XT-PE then picking up one of these.

Why do people keep bringing up the X850XT? It's slightly slower at stock and considerably slower when both are overclocked, it usually goes for more money and most importantly, it lacks SM3 (which is inexcusable). With all the games coming out this year based on SM3 why would anyone choose the X850XT over the 7800GS? I just don't get it. :confused:

unohoo said:
Why do people keep bringing up the X850XT? It's slightly slower at stock and considerably slower when both are overclocked, it usually goes for more money and most importantly, it lacks SM3 (which is inexcusable). With all the games coming out this year based on SM3 why would anyone choose the X850XT over the 7800GS? I just don't get it.

I agree with you except for the price difference; there has been a deal at microcenter for something around two months for $250. Considering some of these people are paying $350 (?!) for this card, I can see why someone would go for the X850. Of course, now that deal is over, but I figure that the deal was going on for so damn long that if you were in the market for an AGP card you'd have already picked up on it.

Morale of the story is this: Seriously reconsider a 7800gs purchase if you're paying ~350 for it. Some are stuck with AGP for one reason or another, so this card would make sense, but for that money, most can pay for a 7800gt and a new PCI-E mobo for better performance and a better upgrade path.

unohoo said:
Why do people keep bringing up the X850XT? It's slightly slower at stock and considerably slower when both are overclocked, it usually goes for more money and most importantly, it lacks SM3 (which is inexcusable). With all the games coming out this year based on SM3 why would anyone choose the X850XT over the 7800GS? I just don't get it. :confused:

Yea, you really want to have SM3. I love these people asking for cheap soultions that will just "get them by" for appx 1 year, and the response they get is some guy like "OMG LOL! yuo needs to get teh X850 XTPEOMGWTF and run them in crossfire sli mode LOL n00b!!12@!1 :rolleyes: :mad: :p "

If its a 7800GS you want because you are a die hard AGP fan, go for it. Overclock and enjoy UT2007.

quadnad said:
I agree with you except for the price difference; there has been a deal at microcenter for something around two months for $250. Considering some of these people are paying $350 (?!) for this card, I can see why someone would go for the X850. Of course, now that deal is over, but I figure that the deal was going on for so damn long that if you were in the market for an AGP card you'd have already picked up on it.

Morale of the story is this: Seriously reconsider a 7800gs purchase if you're paying ~350 for it. Some are stuck with AGP for one reason or another, so this card would make sense, but for that money, most can pay for a 7800gt and a new PCI-E mobo for better performance and a better upgrade path.
I actually purchased one from microcenter when they were on sale (they're back up to $400) and think it's a decent card, but it's lack of SM3 really diminishes it's worth IMO.

I have a quick question. I noticed that the card recommends 20A to be coming from the PSU the the card. My friend has a CoolerMaster 400w/440w peak PSU and only 17A would be going to the card. Would this be enough to run the card stabley, and even overclock it?

Thanks guys. Oh, and the X850XT compared to a 7800GS is stupid... SM3.0 is where it's at... Not to mention nVidia's drivers are better (well, Xtreme-G's), and I REALLY like Transparency AA. Plus, who says you have to buy retail? Like I said before, for $291.95 SHIPPED you can get a PNY version from digitallyunique.com...

-JB

I have a EVGA 6800 vanilla that I can step up until the 15th, but I am trying to decide if I should go to the 6800gs or the 7800gs?

b18turbo said:
I have a EVGA 6800 vanilla that I can step up until the 15th, but I am trying to decide if I should go to the 6800gs or the 7800gs?

If you grab yourself a 6800gs and unlock the pipes, you'll have yourself a GT essentially (with minimal oc'ing). If you REALLY want a little more performance than go for the gs, but the price/performance ratio is kinda disappointing.

ShnikeJSB said:
I have a quick question. I noticed that the card recommends 20A to be coming from the PSU the the card. My friend has a CoolerMaster 400w/440w peak PSU and only 17A would be going to the card. Would this be enough to run the card stabley, and even overclock it?

Thanks guys. Oh, and the X850XT compared to a 7800GS is stupid... SM3.0 is where it's at... Not to mention nVidia's drivers are better (well, Xtreme-G's), and I REALLY like Transparency AA. Plus, who says you have to buy retail? Like I said before, for $291.95 SHIPPED you can get a PNY version from digitallyunique.com...

-JB
No one?

God are these instock anywhere? wtf happened to hard launches. I was going to buy a 6800gs today but then I do my daily browse of [H] and i see the 7800gs is out now (on paper at least) if it can be had for $100 more then the 6800gs i think its pretty worth it but now stuck wanting to get it and its not even available!

iLLuSioN said:
God are these instock anywhere? wtf happened to hard launches. I was going to buy a 6800gs today but then I do my daily browse of [H] and i see the 7800gs is out now (on paper at least) if it can be had for $100 more then the 6800gs i think its pretty worth it but now stuck wanting to get it and its not even available!

It's out, the problem is that most stores broke street date, either by accident or on purpose to catch up with the ones that did by accident.

saintrobyn said:
It's out, the problem is that most stores broke street date, either by accident or on purpose to catch up with the ones that did by accident.

You know of any place online that has em instock?

Back