Bfg 7800gs Oc Agp

Do people even read the threads they post in anymore? The 7800GSAGP will not be available until the vendors officially announce it. It should be available at your local rip off shop (Best-Buy/CompUSA) For around 349 GreenBacks.

I bought mine yesterday and the damn thing didn't work. I spoke to the BFG guys and we just came to the conclusion that I should try to swap on out at Best Buy (if they have any to swap out--there was only one left after I grabbed mine).

BronxBartoni said:
Do people even read the threads they post in anymore? The 7800GSAGP will not be available until the vendors officially announce it. It should be available at your local rip off shop (Best-Buy/CompUSA) For around 349 GreenBacks.

Been out for a week already, looks as if availability is not going to be a problem.

quadnad said:
however for most people price still will be. damn things cost an arm and a leg for little performance benefit...

anyone have any guesses as to whether the price will actually drop to ~250-280?
Well if anyone actually read my posts, you will see you can get a PNY one shipped to you for $291.95 at digitallyunique.com

ShnikeJSB said:
Well if anyone actually read my posts, you will see you can get a PNY one shipped to you for $291.95 at digitallyunique.com

sry, I'll qualify my statement. Does anyone have any guesses as to when the higher quality (my preferred) manufacturer's cards will stablize at lower prices? i.e. eVGA, XFX, BFG

quadnad said:
sry, I'll qualify my statement. Does anyone have any guesses as to when the higher quality (my preferred) manufacturer's cards will stablize at lower prices? i.e. eVGA, XFX, BFG
I dunno, but is it me, or do nVidia and ATi tend to do a "6-month product update/refresh, then 6-month complete redesign/revamp"? I would guess that halfway into that cycle they would drop to that level, so maybe 3 months from now, I would expect to be able to get a BFG/XFX/eVGA card for $250-$280.

Just my guess.

Most places online will probably have them for around the $290 mark within a couple weeks-

I had an interesting email exchange with a (senior) NV marketing rep today. I asked him why NV decided to develop the 7800GS, and not the 7800GT AGP most of us had been hoping for. He replied that it's a matter of power budgets and unit returns. Apparently NV is concerned they'll have too many returns from people who buy the card and don't have either an adequate power supply for it to work, or a fast enough CPU to realize any performance gains out of it.

I found the response interesting for three reasons. First of all, if NV is worried about people installing a 7800GT in underpowered AGP systems, they could simply create (or modify) the card's system requirement specs with regard to CPU and power supply. Problem solved, at least for the most part.

Second, his explanation doesn't really make sense in the first place, since people are going to have more or less the same issues with the 7800GS. I mean, if a given customer doesn't see a performance increase with a GT, they're sure as hell not going to see one with a GS.

And lastly, his response was interesting because it didn't mention any technological barriers with actually bridging the 7800GT to AGP, beyond the system requirement specs described above.

But over the course of these exchanges I tried to read between the lines, and there was a definite disingenuity to his responses, to the point where now I believe the 7800GS is being released as nothing more than a shill. At its price point it doesn't make sense for anyone to buy it. It's certainly not a $300 or $350 upgrade for existing 6600/6800 owners, and owners of older cards can upgrade to an X850 XT for ~$200 with equal or better performance. In a few or several months NV can turn around, point to the 7800GS's dismal sales and use that as justification to drop all future AGP development.

I could be totally off base here, as a matter of fact I hope I am.

Everyone keeps talking about X850XT for $200, but microcenter no longer have them on sale. (In fact, I tried buying them 5 times with 3 different credit cards but none of them will take for whatever reason, so I gave up). Now the cheapest that I can find them are close to $400.

I dont understand why everyone keeps saying the X850 is faster. From what I've seen the 7800GS stomps on the X850. I notice its not much faster and hell even a bit slower at stock speeds in a few benchies, but the gains from overclocking are massive. This is the Ultimage enthusiast AGP card as when overclocked it trounces the X850 even when highly overclocked by a signifcant margin. It's pretty much as I expected with this card. The overclocking is nasty and if there are pipline modifications then nothing is touching it unless X1800 AGP cards come about.

Lord_Exodia said:
I dont understand why everyone keeps saying the X850 is faster. From what I've seen the 7800GS stomps on the X850. I notice its not much faster and hell even a bit slower at stock speeds in a few benchies, but the gains from overclocking are massive. This is the Ultimage enthusiast AGP card as when overclocked it trounces the X850 even when highly overclocked by a signifcant margin. It's pretty much as I expected with this card. The overclocking is nasty and if there are pipline modifications then nothing is touching it unless X1800 AGP cards come about.
QFT

And it'll be even faster once Sm3.0 use is more prevalent.

Lord_Exodia said:

I agree. But unless you're tethered to your motherboard or have some other very specific reason as to why you wouldn't purchase a new motherboard and a 7800gt for even better performance at the same price, the 7800gs makes no sense.

hmm, looks like e-tailors are a little slow to pick this one up. Monarch is price gouging, and both Newegg and ZipZoomFly don’t even have it.

BestBuy and CompUSA have a crapload of them on the shelves, but again there is some major price gouging going on there (7800GS for same price as the GT at BestBuy :eek: )

Well, i didnt want to make a mid cycle upgrade when am2 and ddr2, and g71/g80 are around the corner.

This card have given me quite a bit of improvement over my 6800ultra, especially in cs:source. And it overclocks like crazy, im happy on the purchase, and i made money even selling the ultra. Had some best buy gift cards, so I only paid 330$

A good reason to upgrade will come out eventually, I just didnt see a need for it yet. Running in 1280x1020 I dont need a whole lot of juice.

quadnad said:
I agree. But unless you're tethered to your motherboard or have some other very specific reason as to why you wouldn't purchase a new motherboard and a 7800gt for even better performance at the same price, the 7800gs makes no sense.
Because if you are like my friend, it isn't that simple... He has a Socket 478 Northwood P4 and 1.5GB DDR333 RAM (not to mention a PATA hard drive), so a motherboard upgrade would mean not only would he have to buy a new processor, but new RAM and probably a new hard drive. He is a college student, ya know, and we can't be throwing out tons of money. The only reason he can get a new card at all (to replace a long overdue 9600XT) is because I am pitching in as a birthday gift. Geez people... Not all of us are rich spoiled high school kids or people with an actual career to pay for all of this...

-JB

Hello everyone:

I have a BFG 7800 GS OC AGP, the information of the card and the BIOS are:

- G71 board p492h2
- BIOS: 5.71.22.21.16

I overclock the card stable at GPU: 538 and Memory 1474. My question is do you know any update of the BIOS that I can make in order to improve the performance? Any one had tried to use the BIOS of a GT or GTX (is the same GPU as far I Know) Thanks in advance

Best Regards
Frank

i can't get this card to get good frame rates when converting movies. HELP!

is evga the same thing? LOL

Back