Bfg 7800gs Oc Agp

I just installed the Forceware 83.40 Drivers on my machine and the 3D Mark 06 score for this card went up from 3263 to 3302. This is with the card being overclocked to 470 / 1350 and the drivers natively supporting the 7800GS. This is a good sign.

As for upgrading from the 6800GT to the 7800GS yes it isn't a drastic upgrade but I am a hell of a lot happier with this card for one major reason. My 6800GT was a dog when it came to overclocking and really didn't want to budge much without artifacting. This card is being very kind to me. :D

1c3d0g said:
Come on man, be realistic. :) It's called 7800GS, and not GT, for a reason. It has only 16 pipes, not 20, thus you can expect it to perform about the same as a 6800 Ultra, and perhaps even better in high resolutions. If you already own a 6800 GS, 6800 GT or 6800 Ultra, they're simply to close in performance to justify the purchase of this card. But it's a great graphics card for anyone moving from a 6800 and down. Like me for instance (6600 GT). ;)

Very true....

To me, I am happy with the GS in my second machine... not to mention the fact that it cost $150 less than the MSRP of the 7800GS, and isn't too far behind with the unlocks done on the core/overclocking...

So is the MSRP really set at $350 for the 7800GS?

I think for now until the AM2 boards come out, the 6800 GS is gonna have to do. I ordered it before I found out about the 7800 GS. I have an itchy trigger finger so I might get that 7800 GS before my next upgrade and sell the 6800 GS.

This is kinda exciting :) I'm going to hold off upgrading to PCI-E til M2 comes out. My proc is still going strong. I'm sure the price will soon stablize to $250 or so. So what do you guys think, X850XT or 7800GS?

1c3d0g said:
Come on man, be realistic. :) It's called 7800GS, and not GT, for a reason. It has only 16 pipes, not 20, thus you can expect it to perform about the same as a 6800 Ultra, and perhaps even better in high resolutions. If you already own a 6800 GS, 6800 GT or 6800 Ultra, they're simply to close in performance to justify the purchase of this card. But it's a great graphics card for anyone moving from a 6800 and down. Like me for instance (6600 GT). ;)

I agree, it isn't supposed to be a fantastic card, and I know the hardware doesn't make for great performance, but for that amount of money?! For some, like saintrobyn, it makes sense to grab this card, but I think for those with socket 754 systems the price of a 7800gt and a 754 pci-e mobo is much more sensible, and those with Athlon XPs should either consider a significantly cheaper 6800gs or move to a new system. Otherwise, wait for AM2.
I'd be surprised if these cards are ever sold for 250....it's the last of a dying breed.

I have a shuttle SN41G2 with a athlon xp3000 2GBram and a 6600GT running on a 19" widescreen 14440x900 so this new 7800gs will be an exelent upgrade for me. Else i'd have to ditch the whole system and spend £800 on a new shuttle. By the looks of it this will give me nearly 100% performance increase which should get my FPS in bf2 outa the 30's

Awesome! When I went to CompUSA today, the sales clerk didn't seem to know what the hell I was talking about. He said he couldn't even look it up without a SKU.
I love how these days the first thing people do when they get a new piece of electronics (or anything) that's just been released is to take a picture and put it up on the internet.

redfoot12 said:
Awesome! When I went to CompUSA today, the sales clerk didn't seem to know what the hell I was talking about. He said he couldn't even look it up without a SKU.
I love how these days the first thing people do when they get a new piece of electronics (or anything) that's just been released is to take a picture and put it up on the internet.

Oh give me a little credit; I played with my new toy for well over six hours before I posted a picture on the internet. :D I honestly was just doing the typical "hey look at me I got a new toy post" that everyone does when they get new hardware. I was not expecting this kind of turn out over such an innocuous little post. I figured I just missed the announcement of the card when I made the original post.

As for your local CompUSA, just go in with the SKU number (337091) and have whoever is at the customer service desk grab one for you. Better yet call first and have them put it on hold for you so that you can walk in, purchase it, and leave.

saintrobyn said:
As for your local CompUSA, just go in with the SKU number (337091) and have whoever is at the customer service desk grab one for you. Better yet call first and have them put it on hold for you so that you can walk in, purchase it, and leave.

That would work if all my local CompUSA stores didn't tell me "we don't have any, we have no clue when we're getting them, and no we won't reserve one for you. you can call back each afternoon to see if we got any."

Wait a minute, I just saw one of the closeup pics on the NVForums and I noticed there's no bridge chip! What core is this running???

-wil

Yep, it's been confirmed: the BFG 7800 GS OC is now available at CompUSA. I just picked one up at the CompUSA in Minnetonka, MN today. I believe there are two units left (for those MN people who want to get ahold of a 7800 GS OC now :p ).

Anyhow, I will install the card later and put up a mini-review of the card and how well it fares against a Radeon X850 XT. ;)

pigwalk said:
Wait a minute, I just saw one of the closeup pics on the NVForums and I noticed there's no bridge chip! What core is this running???

-wil

It's underneath the 7800 GS heatsink.

CKTurbo128 said:
Yep, it's been confirmed: the BFG 7800 GS OC is now available at CompUSA. I just picked one up at the CompUSA in Minnetonka, MN today. I believe there are two units left (for those MN people who want to get ahold of a 7800 GS OC now :p ).

Anyhow, I will install the card later and put up a mini-review of the card and how well it fares against a Radeon X850 XT. ;)

I would love to see your review and comparison with an X850XT. All I have to compare this card with is a 6800GT. Also, I would like to see how high you OC your card. Finally, there are a new set of drivers on Guru3D that support the 7800GS Natively. Here is a link

CKTurbo128 said:

Yes, please do! I too am trying to decide if I should go for a X850XT or wait for 7800GS. Many thanks! :D

Fry's in Las Vegas has about a dozen or so of the Evga 7800 GS's in stock for the same price as the BFG one, 349.99. The box doesn't show any specs though. They aren't on the shelf yet, for some reason they have them up in overhead storage in the aisles before PC Cases.

Xerack

Wondering if i should sell my 6800 ultra agp now and switch to the 7800gs, opinions?

Im switching to m2 and pci-ex once its out, and had planned to just sell the card then.

Just picked one up from CompUSA. :)

7800gs.jpg

saintrobyn said:
Oh give me a little credit; I played with my new toy for well over six hours before I posted a picture on the internet. :D I honestly was just doing the typical "hey look at me I got a new toy post" that everyone does when they get new hardware. I was not expecting this kind of turn out over such an innocuous little post. I figured I just missed the announcement of the card when I made the original post.

I was mainly commenting a general trend I see. I remember when some kid on the ign forums got Doom 3 a few days before launch day. On the avsforum some guy posted his pictures of a certain TV he got before anyone else on that thread. Then another guy comes here and posts a link to another forum that shows his 7800 GS pics. I guess I just love the internet.

Oh, and thanks for the SKU information but this particular CompUSA seems pretty bad. I'll give them a call though.

Schmiggy_JK23 said:
Wondering if i should sell my 6800 ultra agp now and switch to the 7800gs, opinions?

Im switching to m2 and pci-ex once its out, and had planned to just sell the card then.
I also have a 6800ultra and am wondering if i should upgrade to the 7800gs. My CPU however is a P4 at 3.3ghz. Im also going socket M and pci-e once that debues, but i would like a performance boost in games today. My 6800ultra scores about 5500 in 3dmark 05 now and with the 7800gs scoring about 6500 wouldnt that be a resonable upgrade? Is the 3dmark running so high just due to the higher overclock on the gs? Theyre the same amount of pipes and shaders, is the 7800gs architecture reworked in any way?

well, i'd be moving from a heavily overclocked 6800gt which scores around the same as your ultra. I've decided that for the price, there isn't any reason to sell my gt and upgrade. Yes the performance is a bit better, but at its current price you might as well buy a motherboard that supports your current proc and pcie (don't know if thats possible on the intel side, but it is for the AMD side) and a 7800gt for even better performance along with pcie upgrade path.

just food for thought :)

Nextman916 said:
I also have a 6800ultra and am wondering if i should upgrade to the 7800gs. My CPU however is a P4 at 3.3ghz. Im also going socket M and pci-e once that debues, but i would like a performance boost in games today. My 6800ultra scores about 5500 in 3dmark 05 now and with the 7800gs scoring about 6500 wouldnt that be a resonable upgrade? Is the 3dmark running so high just due to the higher overclock on the gs? Theyre the same amount of pipes and shaders, is the 7800gs architecture reworked in any way?

I wouldn't upgrade based on 3dmark #s. No offense. Find some real world gameplay #s, they should be available soon. I wont be surprised if they are very close. Someone with an ultra would probably be better off keeping that card. It depends on how overclockable and what the performance difference is in a real world gaming scenario. In the first 5 days of Feb there will be review like mad. No doubt the cards will be paired side by side in many games at many different resolutions. Patience is your friend right now.

Ok here here are some real world numbers, the settings listed are the ones I play at:

Half Life 2: Lost Coast
1280x1024 Resolution
All settings on high
No AA
Anis. Filtering 2X
HDR Full
No V-Sync

77.37 FPS

F.E.A.R.
1280x960 Resolution
Everything Maxed Out
No Soft Shadows
No AA
Anis. Filtering 4X

Ave. FPS 50
Min FPS 27
Max FPS 105

FPS Distribution
0% below 25
26% between 25 and 40
74% above 40

Why, tihs way people can at least experience good grpahics on old AGP machines. This is also a good way for those SocketA/754 AGP'ers to hold off and do a full upgrade into pci-e and sM2.

Hey saintrobyn,
I called CompUSA with the SKU # you posted. One of the managers of the store said they had 4 of them in. I went over there this afternoon and they told me they couldn't sell them to me until February 6. I was slightly disappointed but I can wait.
Thanks for your help though.

CKTurbo128 said:
For those that wanted to see how the GeForce 7800 GS fares against the Radeon X850 XT, my mini-review is now up:

http://ckturbo128.proboards4.com/index.cgi?board=computerhardware&action=display&thread=1138544120

Because I had limited time, I only benchmarked the two cards in the 3DMarks and some games. I will try to add some more benchmarks of the two cards.

I know it's not the best review, but I hope it helps people that are deciding between a X850 XT and a GeForce 7800 GS. ;)

Thanks for the benchmarks! It would be interesing to see some #'s in Half Life 2 though. So based on the current prices/availability/performance, would you recommend X850XT or 7800GS?

i just called up there, and they said that the price was $2,006. That was the only price they would sell it for before the Feb 6 release date, lol. Though that was kind of funny.

1c3d0g said:
Must've been some [H] bastard pulling your leg... :p

Unfortunatly no [H] leg pulling. The price is now $2060.60 to represent a street date of 2/02/06. For all of those who got one early, enjoy it. Everyone else is gonna have to wait until Feb. 6th.

Well I just sold my 6800Ultra for 400$, so a 350$ "upgrade" to a 7800gs should be a pretty good deal.

Figured I'd better sell it while i could. I paid 315$ for it. Nice little profit, lol.

So as soon as any one sees the BFG 7800gs online any where, please post it here, or pm me, id appreciate it!

Im going to call compusa tommorrow, but maybe i can find it a bit cheaper online.

Some pretty nice info and pics on the GS. I'm a little surprised to see it performing so close to the X850XT, but ah well. With baseline performance looking like that, I'd still be FAR better off picking up an X800XT-PE to voltmod and overclock, as I should be able to achieve results fairly close to what's being seen from the 7800GS atm.

I dunno, I guess it doesn't matter much right now...the only reason I'd be going to a nicer setup is to play Oblivion when it eventually comes out, so whatever card gets me respectable performance in that single game for the lower price wins.

Schmiggy_JK23 said:
damn. My local compusa only has the pci-e version right now, and they couldnt give me a date on a release.

A PCI-E version? This has just peaked my interest like no other!!! Explain more if you can...

If there is a 7800 GS PCI-E version, can this be the 7600 we all been waiting for? Damnt all these new cards coming out is really getting out of hand :D I was basically set on a Xfire X1600XT(just to mess with :D) setup but now a 7800GS is peaking my interest so much, if the price is reasonable that is.

But man I dont know, im not doubting you at all, but a 7800 GS will have to be in the 250 price range. I mean the 7800 GT is at an average price range of 300 if not lower with specials and MIR and a 6800 GS is at a 200 price range. But the AGP version is at MSRP 350, but that is AGP, so who knows.

Im not quite sure. They guy said they had a 7800gs pci-e, how in the know he is, im not sure, maybe he was half clueless and thought I said 7800gt. Ill call back tommorrow and hopefully catch someone else who knows what is up.

Nextman916 said:

do not upgrade from a 6800 Ultra, just save up some dough and switch to PCIe

Back