black friday is coming!

One thing I learned at Fry's Black Friday is that 80-year old ladies will wrestle for "rebound" positioning and box you out. They can get very physical so watch out!

On the other hand, Best Buy does a ticketing system for FIFO queue instead of Fry's Free-For-All.
I think you're describing the chaos at Wal-Mart. Have you folks seen some videos about W-M's BF's? Calling them "animals" would not even describe them. :eek:

Here's the first leaked BF TV deal: 50-inch Samsung plasma for $899.99.

Specs from the Sears page..
720p Picture Resolution - 1024 x 768 pixel resolution presents video and text with outstanding clarity and resolution.

:/ I find the sharp much better, trading off 4" for 1080p, and LCD instead of plasma.

Plasma is fail for monitor. Would be pwnage to find a 52" for 1k or around there, though I wouldn't be willing to camp a day or two in advance. NOTYVM.

Specs from the Sears page..
720p Picture Resolution - 1024 x 768 pixel resolution presents video and text with outstanding clarity and resolution.

:/ I find the sharp much better, trading off 4" for 1080p, and LCD instead of plasma.

I also would take LCD over plasma (in general). I just mentioned the plasma deal since it was the first BF HDTV deal that was leaked.

I'm a Black Friday noob and I'm building a new system around that time. Any advice on which stores I should try first? (for buying computer parts like q9550, vraptor, 640gb aaks, 650w psu, gtx 280, giga ep45, 2x2 pc6400, x-fi)

I've noticed some decent deals popping up over the past few weeks... even bought a couple of them.

Got me wondering now if this will finally be an incredible BF.

^^There's two schools of thought on BF this year.

One camp believes the BF deals to be much better than previous years. Reason being is the stores will need to have incredible deals to lure people in due to the economy being the way that it is.

The other camp believes the BF deals to be more sparse than previous years as the stores won't be able to take the hit on the advertised deals just to get more foot traffic in the store.

It'll be interesting to see what the stores actually do. I think we'll see a mix of some stores having really good almost killer deals while the others will have deals that aren't unlike what you can find in the Sunday ads each week. I dunno, but we'll see.

I think what we might see are more "door buster" sales, where you can get some laptop or camera for 40-50% off normal price but with only 20 in stock. This is normal, but instead of just having 15 or 20 items we might see that number brought up to almost 30. Then you pair a similar item just above it, next model up for a decent price (nothing special) and start pushing those onces the limited supply runs out of the door busters. This will pull in people and those who miss out on the "door busters" might be willing to up their budget a bit for something else.

This is usually how I see things in the past four or fives years, but who knows really.

I <3 BF!

The $200 Q6600 at Frys with a (crap) mobo last year was my prize.

The year before was my $200 22" Westy. Both were great deals at the time. Can't wait to see whats up for this year!
holy shit EXACTLY the same, q6600 at frys, sold crappy mobo. Year before was 22 Westy at Best Buy.

I had such a miserable time the last time I camped out at best buy that I dont think I will be joining the frenzy ever again. My friend and I got there like 10 hours early and the line was already 100+ ppl long. But people kept coming and the lack of coordination by the employees created a line that twisted and turned like a snake who ate too many apples. I think we reached 1000+ ppl at its peak. Then a rumor spread about them opening early or something, and the people at the bend in the line close to the door started rushing the door and it triggered this massive pandemonium. Tents were trampled and everyone bum rushed the gate like 2 hours before opening time. I was stuck relatively close to the front being crushed from all sides, with people belching cigarette smoke into the air. I went for the 22" westy but those were all gone by the time I got in so I pretty much left empty handed. After that excruciating ordeal, I think im just going to camp out at bed bath and beyond... or sleep in.

I think what we might see are more "door buster" sales, where you can get some laptop or camera for 40-50% off normal price but with only 20 in stock. This is normal, but instead of just having 15 or 20 items we might see that number brought up to almost 30. Then you pair a similar item just above it, next model up for a decent price (nothing special) and start pushing those onces the limited supply runs out of the door busters. This will pull in people and those who miss out on the "door busters" might be willing to up their budget a bit for something else.

This is usually how I see things in the past four or fives years, but who knows really.
I'm also thinking this. Stores will probably have some tremendous deals just to get people excited and lined up there. But very few of the hundreds or thousands that line up will get in on those deals. But to not leave empty handed, they'll convince themselves to get other deals, which probably won't be much better than a weekly deal.

I'm curious to see what CC will do. They recently announced that they're going to close almost 1/4 of their stores by next year. :eek:

... After that excruciating ordeal, I think im just going to camp out at bed bath and beyond...
That would be a good way to meet some chicks. :eek:

I'm helping a friend build a very low budget gaming system within the next month or so (overclock a $100ish core2duo and a $100ish video card)
definitely wont be camping out for deals but is there any chance at some good online deals on BF worth waiting for or would we be better off just browsing around now for cheap deals?

Obviously we can't predict what will be avail. on BF :p, however...

--Several of last years BF deals were available online as well as in-store. Shipping was additional, but to many that would be worth not fighting the crowds. This does not include door busters.

--Don't forget about Cyber Monday... the online equivalent to Black Friday... held the following Monday.

If a deal comes along before BF, that seems too good to pass up, go for it. It's a gamble either way! :p

A couple years ago, my wife actually was doing the Black Friday deals online THURSDAY night, for stuff online. Only thing we picked up that year was my 19" Samsung LCD monitor for $150 that I just replaced a month ago with my 22" for $179; it's still the third best monitor we have in our house (I have 10 computers at home in use). She got EVERYTHING else I was looking at getting from in line other than the monitor, and all of it ended up being free shipping.... I haven't gone out BF since, though I do check out the deals and ponder (oh, and I didn't camp that day... I literally walked up to the BB just as they were opening the door for the rush, as I had to drop off my stepdaughter at her dad's; I had my step son (living with us, the girl lives with dad) help, and we got the last one in the store. SCORE!

At any rate, check Egg, Frys, etc., late in the evening on T-Day (10-11ish) and then right after midnight; you should be able to score the limited to stock items then, just lay off the 1TB HDDs, as my lone 750 is cramped, and I want a 1TB door buster at $80ish.....)

wow.. I will actually probably have some money to burn this black friday... but the shit I want won't be on sale.. x58 mobo, triple channel ddr3 kit, core i7 cpu. lolz

but for reals, maybe there will be a deal on a ps3 ~or~ a good bluray player... been meaning to get one of those.. I wish I could get HellBoy2 on HD DVD.. waaaaah!!! ;)

wow.. I will actually probably have some money to burn this black friday... but the shit I want won't be on sale.. x58 mobo, triple channel ddr3 kit, core i7 cpu. lolz

but for reals, maybe there will be a deal on a ps3 ~or~ a good bluray player... been meaning to get one of those.. I wish I could get HellBoy2 on HD DVD.. waaaaah!!! ;)

Walmart has a ps3 deal up in their one day sale.

I second that... looking for deals on PS3, Nintendo DS (need 3 of them!), maybe Blu-ray, maybe HD TV finally.

Yeah, I saw the Walmart deal... it's the same $100 gift card offer they were running a lil' while back.
Good deal if you plan to get an additional $100 of Walmart merchandise. :rolleyes:

I shop there regularly, so it would work out for me... but yet, I'd still rather they just knock $100 of the dang price.

I second that... looking for deals on PS3, Nintendo DS (need 3 of them!), maybe Blu-ray, maybe HD TV finally.

Yeah, I saw the Walmart deal... it's the same $100 gift card offer they were running a lil' while back.
Good deal if you plan to get an additional $100 of Walmart merchandise. :rolleyes:

I shop there regularly, so it would work out for me... but yet, I'd still rather they just knock $100 of the dang price.
Black Fri. @ Walmart :eek:

wombatstew1 (3 weeks ago) Show Hide
+1
Marked as spam Reply

WHOA!! This is REAL???? I thought this was a staged event for a film or something. Do Americans really behave like that? -In a cheesy, 'low-quality-crap' store? What on Earth were they running for? McDonald's coupons? Sweat-shop sweat suits? Have some dignity, people! If this is what Wal*Mart is all about, I want NOTHING to do with it!!! Have they no idea how utterly stupid they look shopping there?!?! Good God!!!!

LOL LMAO :D:D:D:p

i went to office max for one black friday last year, and i can say i was surprised how quiet it was in the store, no one was acting like an ass or anything ;)

Mark my words: I'll never go to Walmart on Black Fri. Hell, I almost never go to there to begin with. :cool:

Last year, I went to Ace Hardware and it was also very quiet and orderly like you said OM was, matrix. :)

I keep losing screwdrivers, i cant wait to replenish my tool box!

Lowes

Task Force 46-Piece Tool Kit
ADD TO LIST
Early Bird
$9.98

Taslk Force 71-Piece Screwdriver Set
ADD TO LIST
Early Bird
$9.98

Mark my words: I'll never go to Walmart on Black Fri. Hell, I almost never go to there to begin with. :cool:

Last year, I went to Ace Hardware and it was also very quiet and orderly like you said OM was, matrix. :)

Yeah... Walmart and Black F are a bad combination. The only time I shop at Walmart normally is at around 2 in the morning because 1) they are one of the few stores around me that is open that late and 2) because the masses of trailer trash have shrunk (there is actually a trailer park immediately adjacent to my Walmart). When it comes to black Friday I usually just go later in the day, though then again I usually have to work in the morning anyway. Heh, my first real day of work at BestBuy was on Black Friday. Those geniuses took a kid (me) whose only experience with the registers was standing in a group of ten new employees and watching someone work the register for ten minutes. As you can imagine that just made the chaos all the more chaotic.

lol, the thing that surprised the most about working at BestBuy on blackfriday was the number of customers who weren't there for Black Friday deals and just wanted to do their regular shopping. Seriously, if you don't have to battle the crowds why would you?

im praying for some good online deals. The stores on black friday just make me wanna kill myself.

What would the past years show as being the best place for Hard Drive deals on Black Friday?

I've always waited outside of a best buy or circuit city with a couple friends and picked up random crap i didn't need.

But this year I need four 1TB drives, or 2 or 3 750GB drives to add to my raid5 storage server..

Any suggestions?

I'm hoping for a cheap Blu Ray Drive and a good video card. Honestly though, Frys BF deals have sucked the last couple of years.

What would the past years show as being the best place for Hard Drive deals on Black Friday?

I've always waited outside of a best buy or circuit city with a couple friends and picked up random crap i didn't need.

But this year I need four 1TB drives, or 2 or 3 750GB drives to add to my raid5 storage server..

Any suggestions?

There are some $100-109 deals for 1 TB HDDs popping up a few times a week lately.

There are some $100-109 deals for 1 TB HDDs popping up a few times a week lately.

ya I've seen those and the only reason I haven't pulled the trigger on them is because I'm hopin for a Black Friday ridiculously cheap deal for like the first 50 people at a B&M store somewhere..

I'd be pretty pissed if I bought 4 at $110 and on Black Friday at the place I'm at they have a few of them in stock for $60 lol

ya I've seen those and the only reason I haven't pulled the trigger on them is because I'm hopin for a Black Friday ridiculously cheap deal for like the first 50 people at a B&M store somewhere..

I'd be pretty pissed if I bought 4 at $110 and on Black Friday at the place I'm at they have a few of them in stock for $60 lol

In that case, you'll be better off waiting until BF. Most likely, a better deal will be available. And if it isn't or somehow you can't get in on it, then it's all but guaranteed that sub-$100 1 TB HDDs will continue to be available in Dec.

In that case, you'll be better off waiting until BF. Most likely, a better deal will be available. And if it isn't or somehow you can't get in on it, then it's all but guaranteed that sub-$100 1 TB HDDs will continue to be available in Dec.

ya that's what I figured would be best.

I'll be waiting in line at some major chain store (Best Buy, Circuit City, Fry's) while constantly refreshing webpages on my iPhone.

Now I just need to figure out which store I should comit to standing outside for 5 hours for...

meanwhile, I'll have to take it easy on the HD Movie rips... 1.4 TB has dwindled down to 100 GB free space way too quickly.

Staples has had Maxtor drives on BF for the past several years.

Last year I grabbed 320Gb drives for $20.00, and year before was 200Gb for $20.00

Not sure if they'll have 1Tb, but you may want to watch their fliers. ;)

Looking for a Wii? Sams Club has the Wii Family pack with 3 controllers for $224 on BF. Likely a door buster item.

I will be staying in - was in Chicago a few years ago when the PS3's had come out. Rumor was that people were shooting others waiting in line to buy the PS3's because of the cash they had to bring to purchase it.

Last year at Best Buy (near St. Michaels Church in Chicago) I showed up around 3am. The line was already several blocks long and it was just not worth it to try and get a $299 laptop.

ya but most of them either have problems (seagate 7200.11 I believe) or are the WD greens.

I will most likely be going to the City Of Industry (CA) Frys.

My BF/xmas list so far:
1 or 2 1TB hard drives (if I get 2 then I will be looking for a RAID controller as well)
CD-Rs
DVD-Rs
Slim Jewel Cases OR Slim DVD Cases
New Computer Chair
Compatible Bluetooth dongle for phone

Still adding... I would love to rebuild my comp but im waiting for new Windows OS, core i7, x58, ect. before I rebuild.

Back