black friday is coming!

This is not always true. For e.g., last year, arguably the best deal last year on BF was CC's 46" Sharp LCD TV that I think was selling for $1,300. (Obviously, that seems expensive now - 12 mos. later.) But that deal did not have a voucher. My friend got that TV last BF and he told me when the door opened, it was a mad dash to the opposite end of the store to pick up a flyer that allowed him to pay for the TV and then pick it up. He said most of the vouchers that were offered an hour before store opening were for laptops, computers, digicams, and a couple other TVs.

So, itachi, to answer your question, while the voucher isn't guaranteed, if you can run well, you'll increase your odds. Start training ASAP. ;)

Well in our store, we already have this dialed in. Like the last three Black Friday's we've done, we will have vouchers for the supreme door buster items. When we run out of vouchers, we run out of product. We have one voucher for each item. We will inform the people in the rest of the line that "such and such" product is now out. Now our store is on 100% private property. Anyone selling vouchers will get removed by security, who will be on hand at 3:30 a.m. (we start giving the vouchers out around 4:30, doors open at 5:00).

The only issue we had in the past is that sometimes we would get sent more product than what we had vouchers for. That means that after the faithful lined up customers get their product, there are still a few left. This is an issue if people have left because we told them we were out of an item. So this year we have a really nice color copier so we can make as many copies as we need. And they'll be signed by a supervisor so we can tell they're legit and not copies (in case someone brings a color copy machine to the line :p).

The last three years have been filled with compliments from our community. Most people are very impressed with our store's organization and preparation. And we move the line through fairly quickly as well. I can count on one hand (with fingers to spare) the times there's been an actual angry outburst in our store in the last four years we've been open, and I know of no fist fights (a block north at Wal-Mart there is usually a fist fight or shoving match every year - two years ago someone was stabbed in the parking lot!!)

Things to keep in mind:

1. Sales are regional. The leaked Best Buy ad on BFads isn't worth a damn. I've already seen several boxes labeled "$3.99 movies" come in, even though they're not advertised anywhere on that leaked ad. Our local sale and about two dozen other stores in this region all had different sales than last year's ad, as well. The secret sales were decent, too. Some of the items will be national, but I'm not going to put any weight into the pricing in the leaked ad. Last year and the year before we had a lot of $4.99 music CD's also, that weren't in the ad. (They won't even let us peek at these until the day before Thanksgiving. Wish I could tell you what we were gonna get!)

2. Each store will have their own unique way of organizing and planning for the BF rush. We have been planning and setting up for this in my store for two months.

3. Best Buy's general policy is to not price match other store's deals. Our store will not match deals from other stores. Sorry. Maybe your store will be different.

4. Just for fun we usually give out snacks to the people that are there when we show up (around 3:30-3:45). These are the craziest dedicated shoppers around. Usually some granola bars, cookies, or just some hot chocolate cheers them up quite a bit! :D If your local store doesn't do any of this, you might suggest it, as it really cheers cranky tired people up!

^ Wow, your store seems like a role model that other big box stores should follow. It looks like a well run and organized system. :cool: Kudos to your local management team :)

On a different topic, what would people say are the best 42"-46" LCD HDTV deals that will be available on or around Black Fri.? I'm doing the research for my sister and BIL. I think these are the candidates so far:

Sears Sharp 46" 1080p LC46SB54U $900
Sears Sylvania 42" 1080p $700
Dell Home Sharp 42" 1080p $780
Walmart Polaroid 42" $600

TIA.

does cyber monday fall in to this thread or does that gets its own?

I plan to hopefully find some decent online deals this year

^ Wow, your store seems like a role model that other big box stores should follow. It looks like a well run and organized system. :cool: Kudos to your local management team :)

On a different topic, what would people say are the best 42"-46" LCD HDTV deals that will be available on or around Black Fri.? I'm doing the research for my sister and BIL. I think these are the candidates so far:

TIA.

This is Africa?

I'm liking the price on the Polaroid but I don't know if the quality on this brand is decent. The dell one is $180 more but I think Dell might be more reliable in terms of warranty and quality.

TIA.

My local repair shop cites frequent and very troublesome repair issues with Sylvania and Polaroid LCD panels. Sharp has some decent buys this holiday season, but I am avoiding them because of their price-fixing scam with LG. I hate that crap.

I used to bash on Vizio a LOT, and I still hear that their plasmas are crap, but I was put in my place by some very knowledgeable and well-researched individuals that their LCD's happen to be quite good and quite reliable for the money. Unless that has changed, I would put my money on a Vizio before any Polaroid or Sylvania. I personally know three people with Sylvanias. One of them always has a distorted picture. No matter what aspect ratio they use the image just doesn't look quite right. And the other two had backlighting or serious pixel droppage issues within the first year. 0 for 3 in my book.

I'll keep my eyes out for some good buys. :D

TIA.

Thanks for the compliment by the way. Here's a sick deal:

http://www.6ave.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=PANTH42PZ80U

Don't forget to use code "AFL5"

Way nice TV. Love Panasonic plasmas, and it's 1080p too. $800 w/FS. (never heard of these guys but they seem legit.)

Beowulf if you game alot your best bet is an LCD. Plasmas burn in easily.

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

cvinh, by TIA, I meant "Thanks in advance." LOL

My sister and BIL won't use the TV for gaming. They also prefer LCD over plasma b/c LCD uses much less power than plasma.

I get nervous recommending off brands like Vizio, Polaroid, and Sylvania, but no doubt that they're often much cheaper than name brands such as Sharp and Samsung. Hmm ...

You have something against LCD's?

No no no. In fact I just ordered a 40" 1080p myself! Hope it's here in time for the family when they come for thanksgiving!!

I guess I said "but it's LCD". Hahaha. I didn't mean that in a bad way, just that it's not a plasma. I'd take LCD over plasma for gaming, but plasma does look a notch better on standard def TV, and even some HD content. I like that Vizio LCD. I've seen it at Sams. Looks very nice for the price.

LCD & Plasma are so good nowadays. Can't go wrong with either really. I wouldn't have posted that LCD deal if I didn't like the TV, silly!! :D

BF seems so mainstream now. The media is having a frenzy with it. I remember not too long ago my friends had no idea what it was. Cyber Monday is next to follow, pretty soon it will be just as bad. I have seen more ads on tv and the net then ever before. Its going to be a mad house.
Just my $0.02.

I just went to CC to pick up something and they already have a rope out for a line. :p It's raining lightly and I don't know who would be foolish enough to line up so early anyways.

The guy at the register told me that anything that I picked up in store today would be 10% off. The info might be worth it to someone.

BF seems so mainstream now. The media is having a frenzy with it. I remember not too long ago my friends had no idea what it was. Cyber Monday is next to follow, pretty soon it will be just as bad. I have seen more ads on tv and the net then ever before. Its going to be a mad house.
Just my $0.02.

Why's that bad? Doesn't that just mean better deals in the long run?

I received a bunch of ads in the mail today. Walmart seems to have some great deals, but I refuse to go there, let alone on Black Fri. That ad did mention to check out walmart.com for Cyber Monday deals.

Ace Hardware doesn't have any FAR deals that they did last year. :( Pep Boys is giving out $10 to the first 50 customers. JCPenney opens at 4 a.m. and has some good sales, such as clothes at half price. I received a rare ad from Lowe's, but the stuff I want was not advertised on sale there. Even Albertsons grocery store is getting into the act w/ a few sales that are only good for 8 hours on Fri. (noon to 8 pm).

In less than 16 hours, hardcore people will start lining up for Black Fri. shopping. :eek:

Why's that bad? Doesn't that just mean better deals in the long run?

The deals aren't nearly as good as they were before, only now everyone and their mom is there trying to beat you to the few deals that are any good.

Does anyone know when the ads for Fry's are released? 4:30am right? Or whenever the paperboy hits..

damnit someone post up the ad ASAP!! :)

I received a bunch of ads in the mail today. Walmart seems to have some great deals, but I refuse to go there, let alone on Black Fri. That ad did mention to check out walmart.com for Cyber Monday deals.

Ace Hardware doesn't have any FAR deals that they did last year. :( Pep Boys is giving out $10 to the first 50 customers. JCPenney opens at 4 a.m. and has some good sales, such as clothes at half price. I received a rare ad from Lowe's, but the stuff I want was not advertised on sale there. Even Albertsons grocery store is getting into the act w/ a few sales that are only good for 8 hours on Fri. (noon to 8 pm).

In less than 16 hours, hardcore people will start lining up for Black Fri. shopping. :eek:

You know what's crazy? We were prepping until after 1:00 tonight for Black Friday at my Best Buy. At around 9:45 p.m. our first customer lined up for BF!!! No freaking joke. I set up his tent, stuck a generator, TV, and DVD player in front of it, and a little space heater with a sleeping bag inside. Crazy. Beyond crazy. Spending tonight, all of thanksgiving, and then another night in front of Best Buy in a tent .... :eek:

You know what's crazy? We were prepping until after 1:00 tonight for Black Friday at my Best Buy. At around 9:45 p.m. our first customer lined up for BF!!! No freaking joke. I set up his tent, stuck a generator, TV, and DVD player in front of it, and a little space heater with a sleeping bag inside. Crazy. Beyond crazy. Spending tonight, all of thanksgiving, and then another night in front of Best Buy in a tent .... :eek:

that is crazy....and sad.

He better walk out of your store with a 250" Plasma. If he walks out of there with a universal remote, that person should be stoned.

that is crazy....and sad.

He better walk out of your store with a 250" Plasma. If he walks out of there with a universal remote, that person should be stoned.

You know what my guess is? He's going to nab as many doorbusters as he can (we have vouchers for them, and they are one per customer, but each customer can get more than just one doorbuster, just not more of the same doorbuster, depending on if vouchers are left or not). then he's going to sell them on eBay. He peeked out to say goodnight when we were leaving and he looked the shrewd type that would do that. Seemed like a nice kid that maybe wanted to make a few extra bucks on the side for college, while snagging some good $4 flicks and cheap flash drives or something. who knows.

whatever his reasons, crazy and lame as he is, it's at least slightly [H]ardcore to be able to stick it out like that. We'll see if he makes it. Maybe I'll swing by and give him some hot cocoa tomorrow. :p

Does anyone know when the ads for Fry's are released? 4:30am right? Or whenever the paperboy hits..

damnit someone post up the ad ASAP!! :)
The ads were up when I woke up (early) this morning. Gettings thanksgiving day food ready... it's going to be a long day. As usual, a two page ad is out today with some of the in-store deals and there will be a longer ad with more deals tomorrow. Some of the stuff in today's ad are already available on frys.com for the same price (see my thread in hot deals). You'll have to pay shipping on most of those items if you order online.

My mother went to Kmart to buy my dad a Sony S350 Blu-ray player for $175. They only had 6, and were gone, but she went to Wal-mart 4 HOURS LATER and they still had some and price matched it.

So, moral of the story, go to Walmart and price match stuff. Most people won't be doing it.

Frys ads are already out. Seems to be pretty piss poor deals this BF all around. Usually frys has alot of good stuff but, this year is blah. I feel sorry for all the fools waiting in the rain and cold at places like best buy lol.

I honestly don't know what they're all waiting in line for. There are better deals online right now, and quite frankly any other day of the year. :p

Wow, that is nuts! And I thought it was pretty crazy when a friend texted me today at 10:30 a.m. saying he drove past a Best Buy and already saw people lined up in front of the store. :eek:

If I do go out for BF in the morning, it'll be at a smaller store, such as Pep Boys. I may swing my Lowe's for the hell of it (some decent deals in their ad I received yesterday). Then again, maybe I'll just sleep in like I did today. :cool:

For those who want the mega PDF with all BF deals, check out the SD link I posted a few days ago. It was last updated on 11/24 and has over 500 pages of PDFs (over 100 MB). :eek:

I did some light BF shopping, but nothing big. I stopped by CC to check out the DVDs. Most of the good stuff was gone, but I picked up a $3 and $4 DVD. There was a good crowd, but since I went late morning, the eye of the storm had long passed.

I heard that pregnant woman suffered a miscarriage. :(

I have to say that just about everyone I ran into today was very pleasant. I saw no ill will at all which really surprised me.

Back