Could use some opinions on upgrades

Yes that Raidmax PSU is crap. Generally, most PSUs that comes with the case are crap. One of the few exceptions are Antec's cases and PSU combos.

Link to this tigerdirect $153 E8400?

what about OCZ Vendetta. $2.99 s/h at Tiger for orders over $100 but under 35lbs. The Vendetta a good unit. Close to the Xigmatek HDT-S1283 ya think?

what about OCZ Vendetta. $2.99 s/h at Tiger for orders over $100 but under 35lbs. The Vendetta a good unit. Close to the Xigmatek HDT-S1283 ya think?

Which Vendetta are you talking about? The 92mm or the 120mm version?

And no link for that E8400 TD deal?

The Vendetta (1) is virtually identical to the Xigmatek HDT-S963, which is the 92mm version. What you should be looking for is the Vendetta 2, which is virtually identical to the HDT-S1283. But oftentimes you can find the HDT-S1283 available for less.

The Vendetta 2 and Xigmatek HDT-S1283 are roughly identical in terms of performance. However, the original Vendetta is worse.

Pokin' around for a deal on a CORSAIR CMPSU-520HX 520W Modular PSU. Guess Fry's had one that was $99 - $30 MIR. But price was $119 a few minutes ago.

What Zero82z said.

Hmm, not bad: $150 for the E8400.

I know. Looking at other components for that low s/h. But only finding the E8400. Looking into cases at Tiger right now.

I'm liking the Cooler Master RC-590. Tons of ventilation, size is good. Like where the I/O ports on the front are with power switch. Could do without the blue lights and no filters. Don't see it at Tiger though.

Never bought from TigerDirect. Heard of it for some time now. Good place?

Haven't ordered from them since 2006 so can't offer up any recent experiences. But IIRC, they're all right. But I hate the fact that they list their parts by their after rebate prices if there's a rebate involved. Fuckin' stupid IMO.

I'm liking the Cooler Master RC-590. Tons of ventilation, size is good. Like where the I/O ports on the front are with power switch. Could do without the blue lights and no filters. Don't see it at Tiger though.

The 590 does have filters.

The 590 does have filters.

R you referring to the front face plates? I think these may just behind the mesh screen but there are several fan "ports" (for a lack of a better word) that don't seem to have them.

Yes, they are just behind the mesh front panel. However, aside from the side panel, there are no other intakes. Filters are not required for exhaust fan ports since air does not enter from them. You will also not find a case in that price range with filters covering all the positions.

Yes, they are just behind the mesh front panel. However, aside from the side panel, there are no other intakes. Filters are not required for exhaust fan ports since air does not enter from them. You will also not find a case in that price range with filters covering all the positions.

I see you're point. I know there are about, what, 7-8 fan ports. Bottom, top of case, side and so on. But you make a good point about the air flow. The thing to keep in mind is if you add fans to one of the available ports you may want to install a filter. My thought is, however, that dust may still get drawn in through the other openings.

It depends how you have your case set up, really. I actually own the case, and I've had no dust problems to speak of. I have two intakes in the front, two exhausts on top, and one exhaust in the back. I basically have all the fan ports filled except for the two side panel positions, and I rigged up a second intake fan in the front.

It depends how you have your case set up, really. I actually own the case, and I've had no dust problems to speak of. I have two intakes in the front, two exhausts on top, and one exhaust in the back. I basically have all the fan ports filled except for the two side panel positions, and I rigged up a second intake fan in the front.

Seems like a nice case. Like the fan options. Uncertain about the PSU going in the bottom but never thought to much about it.

You system very noisy then with these fans installed?

Having said that, I did find a case that fit your needs -- the Cooler Master RC-690. If you like it, get it from Provantage, where it's currently on sale.

I've found the RC-590 at Provantage: http://www.provantage.com/cooler-master-rc-590-kkn1-gp~7COOL04F.htm

S/h just under $20. Best deal so far. But read some shady things about Provantage. People making purchases only to have the price jacked up ATF and trying to pass this "new price" on via that sale. Anyone else heard about this?

My PC is actually very quiet. The amount of noise depends entirely on what fans you use.

Also, the PSU positioning at the bottom is great. It makes it easier to work with the motherboard and install/remove heatsinks, and cable management is pretty easy.

My PC is actually very quiet. The amount of noise depends entirely on what fans you use.

Also, the PSU positioning at the bottom is great. It makes it easier to work with the motherboard and install/remove heatsinks, and cable management is pretty easy.

Excellent point about working with the heat sinks, etc. I'm looking at the XIGMATEK HDT-S1283. Which looks pretty good sized.

Where'd you get yours at and how much, if you don't mind.

I'm Canadian, so I purchased all of my components from a retailer called NCIX. I doubt that information will help you though. I don't remember exactly how much I paid for it.

I'm Canadian, so I purchased all of my components from a retailer called NCIX. I doubt that information will help you though. I don't remember exactly how much I paid for it.

True. But I used to live in northern MN, eh.

Both are very good PSUs. Speaking as an owner of the HX520, I would say the only reason to get it over the BFG PSU would be if you want a modular PSU. Aside from that, the price premium isn't really worth it since both PSUs are of roughly equivalent quality.

I have the 520HX so of course my answer is gonna be a little biased :)

They're both great quality PSUs and they offer similar amounts of power. Both are supported by great companies. It's really down to whether or not you want modular cables or not as Zero82z said.

And you're damn lucky to get a choice like that. Back when I built my rig (Early 2007), the Corsair 520HX was a steal at $105 and was one of the few PSUs worth buying in that price AND wattage range. Nowadays you can get equal quality PSUs or higher wattage/amperage PSUs for cheaper or around the same price.

And you're damn lucky to get a choice like that. Back when I built my rig (Early 2007), the Corsair 520HX was a steal at $105 and was one of the few PSUs worth buying in that price AND wattage range. Nowadays you can get equal quality PSUs or higher wattage/amperage PSUs for cheaper or around the same price.
The HX520 is still one of the best choices for a modular PSU in that wattage range though. The only other ones really worth considering are Seasonic's M12 line (basically the same thing internally as the HX520), Antec's Neopower line (made by Seasonic and also pretty much the same thing as the HX520), Silverstone's ST60F (which isn't as good), or BFG's MX-550 (modular version of the LS-550).

The HX520 is still one of the best choices for a modular PSU in that wattage range though. The only other ones really worth considering are Seasonic's M12 line (basically the same thing internally as the HX520), Antec's Neopower line (made by Seasonic and also pretty much the same thing as the HX520), Silverstone's ST60F (which isn't as good), or BFG's MX-550 (modular version of the LS-550).

Should have made myself clearer: the 520HX was one of the few PSUs worth buying in that price AND wattage range, modular or not. Nowadays you have non-modular PSUs that are of equal quality PSUs or higher wattage/amperage PSUs for cheaper or around the same price.

But you are right about the Corsair 520HX: Still one of the best choices for a modular PSU in that wattage range.

No, I know what you meant. My point was that when dealing specifically with modular PSUs, the HX520 still represents a good value compared to its competition. My post was more of an addendum to the point you were making.

Okay, how difficult is it to go back and:
  • remove OEM heat sink/fan (seems easy enough)
  • clean up the CPU (and with what?)
    • to later OC

Now Newegg is out of stock of the XIGMATEK ACK-I7751 Retention Bracket as of the other day. :mad:

What the hell is that small wing/flange supposed to do on the XIGMATEK HDT-S1283? Provide air flow?

Thoughts on this: Sunbeam CR-CCTF. At Newegg it includes the Tuniq TX-2, $10 MIR and free s/h. Is there a retention bracket for the Sunbeam? Curious about install and the size of this compared to the HDT-S1283 when installing on the GA-EP45-UD3R.

Okay, how difficult is it to go back and:
  • remove OEM heat sink/fan (seems easy enough)
  • clean up the CPU (and with what?)
    • to later OC
Not difficult at all.
What the hell is that small wing/flange supposed to do on the XIGMATEK HDT-S1283? Provide air flow?
It's pretty much useless. It's supposed to direct airflow onto the components below the heatsink, but in practice it doesn't help much.
Thoughts on this: Sunbeam CR-CCTF. At Newegg it includes the Tuniq TX-2, $10 MIR and free s/h. Is there a retention bracket for the Sunbeam? Curious about install and the size of this compared to the HDT-S1283 when installing on the GA-EP45-UD3R.
The Sunbeam uses a different mounting system than the Xigmatek. There is no bolt-through bracket available for it. I hear the mounting system is also a bit difficult to work with, but it probably isn't a huge deal. Performance is comparable to the Xigmatek.

Nice!

The local Microcenter, although across the metro, has the Xigmatek HDT-S1283 for $29.99.

Use a coffee filter instead -- poorman's lint-free cloth.

Rec'd your post via email update but don't see it here. You talking about this thing:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowI...ermalright LGA775 RM LGA775 Retention Bracket Doesn't look like it uses bolts but plastic clips. Is the retention bracket metal?

or is it this one: http://www.heatsinkfactory.com/thermalright-lga775-bolt-thru-kit-p-16470.html

The Sunbeam uses clips to connect and apparently doesn't have a retention bracket (bolt through) according to Zero82z.

Back