Fallout 3 crashing thread

E-MU and Creative drivers are done by separate groups and have very little in common.
Where Creative's drivers are often considered a POS, EMU drivers are one of the things E-MU's pride relies on.
There is just no comparison between the two.

I have both Creative X-Fi drivers and EMU 0404 USB drivers installed and neither causes issues for me on Vista64. X-Fi drivers are a lot more complex than EMU drivers because they are meant for 3D sound in games so one would expect those drivers to have more issues but they don't for me.

It's crashed to desktop on me twice and I'm only about 20 minutes into the game. Crashed right in the middle of a fistfight with the gang picking on Amata. This will be VERY annoying if it continues.

http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index.php?showforum=36

We're definitely not alone or in a small minority. Your mind will reel in short order with the angst and hate being leveled against Bethesda on their own forums. That's the PC hardware/software problems area for Fallout 3. Some of that stuff is justified, I'm sorry to say. This really has to be one of the buggiest releases of a big name title I can recall in recent memory.

Daggerfall (made by Bethesda) puts every other game to shame for pure quantity and magnitude of bugs. The game couldn't be FINISHED before it was patched. They have a long history of buggy games.

Also, I rebound the pip-boy key, but apparently it will only open with the new key... you can't close it! I had to button mash to figure out how to get back out of the pip-boy, you need to press TAB (the default bind) to close it even if you've bound pip-boy to another key :/

The only bug that's annoying me is when I "alt-tab" to desktop and fallout stops responding. Other than that no complaints here about in game crashes.

No crashes, but using VAT slows down my game to a slideshow, and when the VAT sequence is over, the game runs horribly. Only way to fix it is to save, exit the game, then load again. Hoping for a patch soon.

This is on my MacBook Pro w/ Bootcamp, Win XP, 4gb RAM.

whole game is hopeless.. what a crappy coding :(

They very likely focused on the XBox 360 version over the others, this type of thing is not really uncommon. I had a ton of problems with the PC Oblivion myself, got the 360 version of FO3 as a result. Well that, and I can trade in console games for credit towards new games...

One thing to try guys, which I just did for the hell of it, skip running the "FalloutLauncher" thing, or whatever it's called. Run Fallout3.exe directly.

Ugh, only thing more aggravating than all these crashes, is the douches who come here and say "Durr its running fine here, must be you guys!" What business do you have posting here then if you are not going to give an entire lowdown of your computers specs and software?!

Works absolutely fine here. No crashes whatsoever.

Q9450 @ 3.6Ghz (1.28v)
Asus P5Q-E
ATi 4870 512MB
4Gb 6400 Corsair C4 2x2GB
Seagate 500GB 32MB HDD
HP LP2475W 24"
Creative X-FI
Antec Neo 650 Blue
Vista Home Premium 64bit

Some rare crashes here, when acessing terminals/comps, thats pretty much it, playing @ 1280x1024 with 35fps constant

Seems to be yet another issue with audio here, everybody bring up the "Run" dialog box (Winkey + R) and type in "dxdiag" (without the quotes). Go to the "Sound" tab and move audio acceleration slider all the way over to "off". Exit dxdiag.

Now give Fallout3 a try, you may hear some audio distortion, but at least it might stop the game crashing. If you're using an Audigy/2/4 you might want to check out Creative's website for the latest drivers which list "game specific crash issues" as a resolved item.

I played for 8h or so yesterday, and had about 4 crashes. Quite annoying. Fortunately, the game saves and loads super fast and it's quick to start up once you've commented out the intro movies in the fallout3.ini file and skip the launcher executable (which seems to be the only file doing the securom check!) and go directly for fallout3.exe

EDIT: Just went in to verify, and found I had fan speed locked at 20% in CCC. Oops. That explains the graphical glitches then.

I think I've resolved my crashing and audio issues.

A) Turned off music
B) Run fallout3.exe directly

Specs:
Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Q6600
4 Gigs ram
EVGA 7900 GTX with latest WHQL driver
Onboard Realtek HD sound with latest driver from Realtek
No ffdshow, k-lite, ac3filter, etc installed
No anti-virus installed
Disabled the onboard wireless NIC I wasn't using
Windows XP SP2 32-bit

I think I've resolved my crashing and audio issues.

A) Turned off music

All music or just the radio?

B) Run fallout3.exe directly

If I made a shortcut off of that, does that suffice?

Do I have to keep the disc in the computer? I've been able to play without a disc but maybe it's starting to be sensitive and I should leave the disc in?

Honestly though: I'm not going to handicap and dumb down my rig and gaming experience to try and defeat and get around what's clearly some faulty and subpar coding that's affecting a lot of people on a myriad of configurations.

This is why I use 32 bit xp, I know it will work. 25 hours here and I think I had one ctd

I've had 2 crashes so far, when using doors that initiate a level load.

Vista 32bit.

My crashes have been seemingly random although I'm tempted to say they happen where maybe there's a LOT of action going on at once.

This is why I use 32 bit xp, I know it will work. 25 hours here and I think I had one ctd

Unfortunately, there are plenty of XP users like you also having issues.

My crashes have been after I quit the game will crash and
lock up the PC.

My copy has never crashed, that is strange

No it isn't. My copy of STALKER almost never crashed but there were LOTS of people with extremely frequent CTD issues. The problem was recognized and patched out. So some people can run fine while others get game breaking bugs. This is why it's so asinine when people say "well I'm not crashing it must be your POS computer". This following slight rant is not targeted at you ;)

For reference, my computer is rock solid stable. I've had it running for over 2 months at a time without any reboots and this is under heavy use. It functions as a 24/7 media pc (records all my TV watching with a capture card and BeyondTV HD OTA and Cable) and a gaming computer (and I play lots of games, and lots of different games). I do design work in Photoshop and Indesign as well on the side.

There is exactly one application that blue screens my computer... TF2 starting up. No other program or game has given me a blue screen, ever. Some games have crashed out (Fallout 3) for example, but only one has managed to blue screen my pc so far. My computer will happily run for months at a time if I avoid loading TF2 more than a few times in that period of time. I don't have any other issues with my computer. So I can say with some confidence that it's not a POS computer issues, it's a POS game bug issue.

All music or just the radio?

If I made a shortcut off of that, does that suffice?

Do I have to keep the disc in the computer? I've been able to play without a disc but maybe it's starting to be sensitive and I should leave the disc in?

In the audio settings I just turned back "Music" all the way down. I left all other audio levels alone. Radio, dialogue, etc are untouched.

Yes, a shortcut is what I did.

Formatted my PC today.
Fallout 3 works fine now.
Just played 2 hours!!
Great so far though I've only just started.,,,
It seems I chose to KILL EVERYONE....
See how that goes...

In the audio settings I just turned back "Music" all the way down. I left all other audio levels alone. Radio, dialogue, etc are untouched.

Yes, a shortcut is what I did.

I wonder why music would even matter?

Since the beginning, I've been using a shortcut made directly off of the .exe.

I disabled my onboard realtek hd and installed an m audio revo 5.1. I went from frequent crashes to none since knock on wood...

My crashes have been seemingly random although I'm tempted to say they happen where maybe there's a LOT of action going on at once.

Unfortunately, there are plenty of XP users like you also having issues.

not really, most of the issues I have seen are people on vista or x64 OS

I had one crash very early in the game, and not after that. I do get some distortion in the audio when the radio is playing, and I am near an enviromental sound like a burning car or wind.

This is Vista 64bit by the way.

I wonder why music would even matter?

Since the beginning, I've been using a shortcut made directly off of the .exe.

Beats me.

But I just played for another hour with zero issues. Never used to be able to do that.

Enabled my onboard audio, set it to primary, plugged my speakers into it instead of my audigy2...and the crashes have stopped.

My onboard sound card is a Realtek HD Audio.

From what I've read most issues have t do with Audio/Video codecs, mainly FFDSHOW.
Since they are embedded into the system once you install them, it might not be easy to solve these issues.
I'm kind of disappointed in Bethesda for not checking out any of these issues...
I tried every method in the forums and googled the issue to death and came to one conclusion - format the PC or don't play till they sort everything out.
After a format I got it working straight away and now I'm layering my other stuff back on slowly.
Only regret I have is forgetting to Uninstall/Deactivate Far Cry 2 before my format....
There goes one of 5....

Why would only Bethesda's games have issue with FFDShow? And no, I will not format a PC just to play one game.

It's crashed for me around a dozen times so far (not counting crashing when exiting the game either - Oblivion had the same issue). There seems to be no common reason for crashing, it will happen anywhere anytime. My X-Fi had issues with the Enclave radio. This was fixed by using ALchemy and setting the buffers etc. The sound is still crackly in V.A.T.S. Also had stuttering but setting max prerendered frames ahead lower helped a little.

Pretty poor QA at Bethesda (as per usual) This is the first game in a while that has crashed constantly. Stalker Clear Sky was meant to be buggy but that didn't crash for me once.

Dito,

Issue with my random crashing is 100% related to incompatibility with video drivers. In full screen mode, i crash out every 5 min, however in window mode I don't.

No issue with vats.
I ffdshow installed (installed it after I started having problems) and that did not resolve the issue. Can only hope for a patch soon that will fix it.

I'm on 8.27.77 already, probably 3/4 of it in windowed mode

I've simply resigned myself to the fact that I got to play a nice demo of Fallout 3 and the game simply doesn't exist for me yet until it gets fixed. That's all there is to it. I'm not reinventing the wheel for bad coding on one game especially when my system runs everything else perfectly.

So I got FO3 as a birthday gift and finally get to see what you all are going through. So far, no CTD, it did the typical "Oblivion has stopped responding" on exit. Err.. Fallout3..

Haven't gone outside yet, but played for about a good hour.

Playing in Vista x86 SP1
SB Audigy SE
Radeon HD4870 w/ Cat 8.10 hotfix 2

Funny thing is I tried Oblivion and it wouldn't launch.

So I got FO3 as a birthday gift and finally get to see what you all are going through. So far, no CTD, it did the typical "Oblivion has stopped responding" on exit. Err.. Fallout3..

Haven't gone outside yet, but played for about a good hour.

Playing in Vista x86 SP1
SB Audigy SE
Radeon HD4870 w/ Cat 8.10 hotfix 2

Funny thing is I tried Oblivion and it wouldn't launch.

Welcome to the club. :(

well i spoke to soon.. now i am crashing right and left..

its odd, for the first part of the game no problem.. i got to the GNR and now i crash about once every 30 or 40 minutes...

my system

Vista64 w/SP1
ATI 4850
4Gb DDR2
Audigy2 - i heard this may be the culprit - does anyone know any sound tweaks?

well i spoke to soon.. now i am crashing right and left..

its odd, for the first part of the game no problem.. i got to the GNR and now i crash about once every 30 or 40 minutes...

my system

Vista64 w/SP1
ATI 4850
4Gb DDR2
Audigy2 - i heard this may be the culprit - does anyone know any sound tweaks?

There's nothing wrong with anyone's systems, including yours.

The game needs to be patched. It's bad coding somewhere. Don't reinvent the wheel for it.

I was the same way. I had a small handful of crashes until I got to a certain part in the main storyline and now it's essentially unplayable. I know within 5 minutes of firing it up I can count on a crash.

Welcome to the club. :(

Not a member just yet. Crash on exit hardly warrants membership. :D This was "a problem" with Oblivion too, but it was just an annoyance, didn't cause any issues in game.

Back