Fallout 3 crashing thread

I've probably put in about 5 hours worth of gaming and have not had any issues at all. *knocks on wood*

My configuration:
8800GT with latest drivers
Audigy 2ZS (also have an E-mu 0404 installed, but the Audigy is the default card for Windows)
WinXP SP3 32-bit
CCCP codec pack
2GB DDR400

Not a member just yet. Crash on exit hardly warrants membership. :D This was "a problem" with Oblivion too, but it was just an annoyance, didn't cause any issues in game.

Unless you're lucky, you'll find out before long I suspect. Unfortunately.

Unless you're lucky, you'll find out before long I suspect. Unfortunately.

I'm feeling lucky. I found that bringing Oblivion to Vista x86 yielded performance and stability improvements versus my XP x86 installation. In fact, Oblivion was broken on XP; literally copied my game files to Vista and it worked like a charm from then on out.. until now anyway (OBSE related though). :p

I'm feeling lucky. I found that bringing Oblivion to Vista x86 yielded performance and stability improvements versus my XP x86 installation. In fact, Oblivion was broken on XP; literally copied my game files to Vista and it worked like a charm from then on out.. until now anyway (OBSE related though). :p

Huh...I like your odds if this is anything to go by. ;)

Well my wife was playing last nite and when I got home she told me that she was having crashes every so often. Mostly when she was inside places... IE houses ect..

I fixed it and managed to double the FPS witha couple things.

1st... I Downloaded and installed the new Beta Nvidia Drivers. SLI didnt appear to do jack shit in the the old version. The load bar was good when you looked at nothing but if your turned to the horizon it just tanked. The FPS would float from around 24 to 50 depending on what you were doing. Since I installed the new drivers The FPS dosnt dip below 60 anymore. No matter what she does, its rock solid. She said that was crazy how much better it was to play.

2nd I reinstalled the game to get rid of some bad tweaks to the .ini files I did. YEs it was overkill but I couldnt remeber all the adjustments I had done. This was done mostly to make sure that the game install wasnt ANY of the trouble.

3rd I Set ALL video driver options I had been tweaking to the defaults. Just to have a basline to go from. I forced a few things, nothing you normaly wouldnt (turned off filtering optimizations)

Since ive done all this she hasnt had so much as a fart, hickup or crash and the game runs and looks ALOT better. The FPS I freedup alowed me to turn on some SLI AA and it still holds at 60fps. All in all im very happy with how this game is running.

Definitely backup your INI if you ever get into tweaking it again. Although, I think if you just delete it, FO3 will create a new one.

i think if you remove the ini file it will re-create it when you start the game up again.. for those that didn't back up their ini..

Definitely backup your INI if you ever get into tweaking it again. Although, I think if you just delete it, FO3 will create a new one.

Correct. No need to uninstall and reinstall the game.

1st... I Downloaded and installed the new Beta Nvidia Drivers. SLI didnt appear to do jack shit in the the old version. The load bar was good when you looked at nothing but if your turned to the horizon it just tanked. The FPS would float from around 24 to 50 depending on what you were doing. Since I installed the new drivers The FPS dosnt dip below 60 anymore. No matter what she does, its rock solid. She said that was crazy how much better it was to play.

I'll try these although I've been seeing mixed feedback about these drivers out there.

2nd I reinstalled the game to get rid of some bad tweaks to the .ini files I did. YEs it was overkill but I couldnt remeber all the adjustments I had done. This was done mostly to make sure that the game install wasnt ANY of the trouble.

Next time just delete the .ini file and fire the game up and it'll give you a fresh new one. ;)

3rd I Set ALL video driver options I had been tweaking to the defaults. Just to have a basline to go from. I forced a few things, nothing you normaly wouldnt (turned off filtering optimizations)

I'm pretty much good to go here.

I've had several lockups with audio that kept going after the video froze that were recoverable via ctrl alt dlt and one total hardlock. I also have CCCP installed (FFDshow).

I tried disabling the creative helper process (CTHLPR) and have had only one freeze in 8 hours of straight play.

I have weird crashes when loading a level.. dunno why but its driving me nuts.

Mind never crashed in-game. But when I try to exit it always freezes and I need to kill it from Task Manger. :(

Great post, re: the wiki.

I have also had an issue where my stats inexplicably dump as related to combat/VATS (I'm currently level 12 with 100 small guns, 80 energy weapons, finesse, and both VATS accuracy perks) to the point where in close quarters im getting 12-15% on a torso. I repeated the issue and made sure I was clean (no drugs), well rested (no injuries), and free of any ill effects or rad poisoning. My stats were somehow working again if I saved, closed the game, and restarted. This problem only really manifested itself after I bought a robot outside of the Robocorp quest. Scared me pretty badly as I'm about 20 hours in and only just getting to Rivet City.

I am experience this from the wiki
"Crash on loading screen when trying to load saved game. "
but there doesn't seems to be fix for it in the wiki, anybody found a fix for it?

I am experience this from the wiki
"Crash on loading screen when trying to load saved game. "
but there doesn't seems to be fix for it in the wiki, anybody found a fix for it?

Does this happen to all of your saves? If not, load back to your last one that works. Otherwise, it sounds like a corrupt save file, somewhat common with Oblivion. If it's your only save, try going into your My Games\Fallout3\saves folder and restore the last bak file (lucky for us, we have backups). I think all you need to do is rename it by removing the .bak file extension.

it freezes my pc randomly, sometimes it runs fine for like 6hrs then it randomly freezes but then it is fine again

yet all my other games i play are fine

Holy cow, 7 pages already.
The Bethesda forums are a mess, every other thread is a new error.
This is crazy. Is this why theres no demo? I wanted to try it out first, but I'm definitely not going to buy it in this condition.

That sux....
cause GTAIV isnt out till December...

Still lots of crashing. Tried all the possible fixes from the Bethsoft forums. The game is plain broken. X-Fi and Nvidia gfx cards seems a very troublesome combination.

Appalling QA from a company renowned for its buggy releases. I'm almost at my wits ends with this game. I'd post my thoughts on Bethesda but it's not really for the public domain!

Holy cow, 7 pages already.
The Bethesda forums are a mess, every other thread is a new error.
This is crazy. Is this why theres no demo? I wanted to try it out first, but I'm definitely not going to buy it in this condition.

That sux....
cause GTAIV isnt out till December...

Yes sirree, Bethsoft forums are being hammered. I can't keep up with all the threads. There is a new poll on there called "How long can you play FO3 before freezing" FFS, the winner is below 1 hr

Still lots of crashing. Tried all the possible fixes from the Bethsoft forums. The game is plain broken. X-Fi and Nvidia gfx cards seems a very troublesome combination.

Appalling QA from a company renowned for its buggy releases. I'm almost at my wits ends with this game. I'd post my thoughts on Bethesda but it's not really for the public domain!

oh wow 1-2% of the entire market for the game are having issues for shame.

so i got the keyboard issue fixed... but now my sound is missing when the NPCs talk at the party..

and i dont use x-fi or sound blaster.

i use on board Asus P5E soundmax sound on x38 chipset..

I was crashing right and left for a while. I thought it was heat, but that proved not to be it. I reinstalled my creative drivers, but I am not sure thats it. I defragged my computer, too.

I have the Steam version.

Then, on the window that comes up that says "Play, options, etc" I hit options, took the check mark out of "Show all resolutions" set it for my monitor (1680X1050), reduced the anti-alasing from 4 to 2, set ansotropi from 16 to 4 and it works perfectly. I havent had a crash in two days, probably 16 hours of play.

Computer Details in Sig. I dont know if its a freak occurance or not, but its working for me now....

probably been mentioned before, but I found a crash I can probably recreate fairly easily. all it is, is turning on the V slow-motion at the same time an NPC wants to initiate dialogue.

I was crashing right and left for a while. I thought it was heat, but that proved not to be it. I reinstalled my creative drivers, but I am not sure thats it. I defragged my computer, too.

I have the Steam version.

Then, on the window that comes up that says "Play, options, etc" I hit options, took the check mark out of "Show all resolutions" set it for my monitor (1680X1050), reduced the anti-alasing from 4 to 2, set ansotropi from 16 to 4 and it works perfectly. I havent had a crash in two days, probably 16 hours of play.

Computer Details in Sig. I dont know if its a freak occurance or not, but its working for me now....

There are known problems with AA. Particularly with VATS.

I saw a fan made fix thread there, I wonder if that'll be the future of videogames: "Screw it, put some shiny graphics and nice 3d models in there and let the fans finish the game"
content.gif
ecstatic.gif
eeek.gif

I saw a fan made fix thread there, I wonder if that'll be the future of videogames: "Screw it, put some shiny graphics and nice 3d models in there and let the fans finish the game"
content.gif
ecstatic.gif
eeek.gif

Probably. The fan 'fix' is reported to not work for most and it only works on a ripped version of the game (according to some)

Call me lucky. around 30 hours in the game and not a single crash or freeze since the first day. :)

Vista 64 Ultimate
8Gb RAM
ATI 4870x2, playing at 2560X1600
X-Fi Titanium

:)

109 pages of bugs isn't exactly 1-2% of the entire market.

http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index.php?showforum=36

109 pages of same people posting in different threads, actually there was some research done and based on game sales for PC and the amount of threads it came out to less than 1%. However that is taking that all people with problems are posting a thread about it which is obviously a little off. But no more than a few percent surely.

Call me lucky. around 30 hours in the game and not a single crash or freeze since the first day. :)

Vista 64 Ultimate
8Gb RAM
X-Fi Titanium

More like a miracle, I wouldn't get too comfortable though, one crash and you'll get many more.

What ATi driver are you using?

oh wow 1-2% of the entire market for the game are having issues for shame.

Where are you getting that figure from?

I don't think anyone really knows for sure.

Vista 64 Ultimate
8Gb RAM
X-Fi Titanium

You're very lucky.

Pete Hines says we should expect a FO3 patch today. From Eurogamer.net

16:11:35 -
dl77 asks: Will there be a patch to add southpaw controls for the left-handed people out there? And what about a fix for the various PC niggles?

Pete Hines: Well on the 360 the console itself actually handles that. You change it in your control options, so we don't bother doing it in the game. I'll have to check on how PS3 works.

As far as fixes, there's a PC update coming out later today that will address a few PC-specific things that have come up. Can't give you any details yet beyond that as far as what else might be in the works for any of the three platforms.

I cant remember last time a game just random crashed for me just like that, its not drivers, its not overheat issue on either cpu or gpu, its not Os issue.. its crappy sloppy game coding.. i seriously doubt a small quick patch will fix anything.

well i turned down some of my settings last night and went 5 hours without crashing..

i tried tweaking the ini and it caused even more crashing.. i removed all my ini tweaks and turned some settings down to were it was smooth gameplay and zero crashes last night..

so if you have any ini tweaks or anything like that remove them, and start from the bottom of the settings to see if that helps.. and if it does slowly move your settings up..

before that i was getting crashes every 45 minutes..

I cant remember last time a game just random crashed for me just like that, its not drivers, its not overheat issue on either cpu or gpu, its not Os issue.. its crappy sloppy game coding.. i seriously doubt a small quick patch will fix anything.
Bet you $100 it's an audio driver.

Uninstall your sound card completely, try playing the game (driver still uninstalled, no sound), see if it still crashes.

quick question. will the 7900GS be able to handle this game on the 1920x1200? (qx6800, 2gb, XP32bit)

Back