G80 naked with mystery chip

J-Mag said:
The 7950gt has HDCP support, but I don't recall seeing an extra chip...

I'm pretty sure the 7950gt uses the silicon image chip for HDCP support, but it's considerably smaller then that chip. According to things I've read, both G80 and G73 have HDCP support built into the actual graphics chip, but you never know...

yeah, its to big to be hdcp. from what iv seen HDCP decoding doesnt need as many pins as a wafer can provide, so it usually just uses your standard side saudered deal.

i donno man it just hit me like a sack of bricks.

atis referance memory design for the R600 really does shit-kick that of Nvidias for the G80, well at least according to the rumers
R600: GDDR4 (pushing higher then 2GHz), True 512bit bus, 1024mb on highest end versions (two sided 16 dimms X 64mb per dim)
G80: GDDR3, 128bit bus for ???? 256bit bus for core, 512mb for core and 128mb for ???? (strange array of 12 dimms, 8X64 and 4X32)

see what this says in the benchmarks.

That score is slightly better than 7900GTX SLI...not bad considering this is a single chip.

That puts it right on target, then--new top-of-the-line being equivalent to old top-of-the-line in SLI.

Do you ever stop to think how cool it is, first of all that we can expect such massive performance gains each new generation, second of all that SLI is so commonplace that we use it as the benchmark for new single card performance? Three years ago there was no SLI to serve as the benchmark!

Nice, now whose got 1.4 grand for 2 of these in SLI? :D
Im going to sell my 79GTs to get either the GTS or GTX not sure. Prob the GTX after reviews flood the forums, but only till reviews. I dont want go get it and find out that dx9 content is ok but it really optimized for dx10 material. I know thats not fully true but hey, im patient.

What's the "standard" score in 3Dmark05 for a 7900GTX SLI?

I'm talking, no overclocks on the GTX's at all...

w1retap said:
512 normal video ram, 128 dedicated to special tasks like AA. ^_^
That is not the nature of this configuration.

My guess on the mystery chip? I don't believe it's a physics chip, but it's not completely out of the realm of possibility. If you compare the chip itself to G70, it's astonishingly similar. Also notice how far it is from the GPU, which rules out a couple possibilities. A physics chip could be as far away from the GPU as possible being a separate processor. If I recall correctly, the hardware Havoc 3.0 demonstration posted a few weeks ago was running on an "unannounced nVidia card".

In all honesty, I wouldn't like this. If I want physics, I'll buy a separate card. Don't strap G70 two inches from a 700 million transistor behemoth, sell it to me for ~$650 and tell me "tough shit".

ManicOne said:
8800GTX performance numbers (synthetic). Legit result from Victor Wang (XS guy):

http://vic.expreview.com/index.php

3D05, 19114, oced X6800 @ 3882.5MHz. GTX at stock.

Yep.. that's pretty good.. a little slower than my 1900s though.. just a hair.. with my cpu @ 3.5 also.. that's still a great score with one gpu. crazy...

I(illa Bee said:
yes pointless... very very pointless. I have seen it before, the last card they had with 2 internal power inputs on it was ajoke. They said you need 2 seprate cables plugied into it. yet tons and tons of people used Y adapters and they worked jsut fine. Its not like the cables cant move enought power thru them...

I garentee you that if the 8800 or whatever it is has 2 plugs and I get 2 of them for SLI, I will use y adapters on each of my PCIe power plugs form my enermax 600w and it will work just fine.

That enermax has two rails, right? 18A max each? If the GTX takes more than 216W and what the PCI-E slot can provide, then just using a splitter won't work. I think.

meatfestival said:
Also remember that the card is running stock. Overclocking will get it over 20K easily

yeah - and the score I was thinking about with my cards was also generated at their stock numbers. I got like 19400 or so with my cards at stock and cpu @ 3.550 ghz..

Anyways, I don't think we're going to see the great headroom of OCing which we saw with some other generation cards.. seems like to me that the default numbers are in the high/safe range already and OCing is yeilding less real gaming benefits... as in, the random crashes from OCing don't make the couple extra fps worth it.. ofcourse there will be peeps who will no matter what, but personally I am loosing interest in OCing in favor of less hassle + extreme reliability in all 'human happy' ambient temps.. maybe I am wrong about this tho.. who knows.. they cards might OC extremely well.. also with all the operations they perform per cycle they should yeild even more performance per mhz OC'd.. I guess we'll have to wait and see :)

revenant said:
also with all the operations they perform per cycle they should yeild even more performance per mhz OC'd..
That's a pretty fair assumption. Also consider that we may be able to directly modify the clocks of the stream processors separately from the operating frequency of the GPU as a whole, which is a fairly enticing idea. With the high number of stream processors, mild overclocks may yield significant increases in shader performance.

W... W... Waaaaait a minute!

I see no mounting holes around that chip :| How about us that watercool, how are we going to cool that bastard :O

I see, with my little eyes, eight mounting holes in total, and four directly around the chip/IHS.

Wow, it looks like it's either a HUGE chip or there is some kind of heatspreader (a la CPUs) on it.

I am sure there will be a pleathora of aftermarket cooling setups for this beast. :)

phide said:
I see, with my little eyes, eight mounting holes in total, and four directly around the chip/IHS.

Eh, I meant around the secondary chip... the mystery flavour so to speak.

I see 2 off-center holes... I wonder how well something like that would work :S

Lets just hope it doesn't put out THAT much heat, and a passive solution will work (although I doubt it).

revenant said:
Anyways, I don't think we're going to see the great headroom of OCing which we saw with some other generation cards.. seems like to me that the default numbers are in the high/safe range already and OCing is yeilding less real gaming benefits... as in, the random crashes from OCing don't make the couple extra fps worth it.. ofcourse there will be peeps who will no matter what, but personally I am loosing interest in OCing in favor of less hassle + extreme reliability in all 'human happy' ambient temps.. maybe I am wrong about this tho.. who knows.. they cards might OC extremely well.. also with all the operations they perform per cycle they should yeild even more performance per mhz OC'd.. I guess we'll have to wait and see :)
I give you this from Kyle as evidence that your second thought is closer than your first:

Kyle Bennett said:
G80 OCing is going to be something awesome btw. More fun than a barrel full of Fudos. ;)

G80 nvidia sneak peak.. ;)

http://www.nvidia.com/content/event...ty_redefined_general/reality_redefined_bg.jpg

reality_redefined_bg.jpg

phide said:

this mystery chip is obviously being cooled by the same cooler that covers the entire card, it sits just under the fins where the heat is blown out of the cooler, so the cooler will no doubt be making contact with the GPU, memory IC's as well as this mystery chip

the holes are for the various screws that hold this cooler securely in place

Arcygenical said:
Eh, I meant around the secondary chip... the mystery flavour so to speak.

I see 2 off-center holes... I wonder how well something like that would work :S

Looks like the exact same hole mount pattern that the 7900GTX power regulator heatsink used, so the alpha cool block will work.

Eh, I've got lots of stock 1U copper HS... I'll make my own :)

They might even use a HS just like the Vreg HS's on the older models...

I just dont wanna buy another block :mad:

revenant said:
Yep.. that's pretty good.. a little slower than my 1900s though.. just a hair.. with my cpu @ 3.5 also.. that's still a great score with one gpu. crazy...
braggin much?

Arcygenical said:
Eh, I've got lots of stock 1U copper HS... I'll make my own :)

They might even use a HS just like the Vreg HS's on the older models...

I just dont wanna buy another block :mad:

Only problem is that is the worst area for airflow in the entire card (if you replace the primary HSF that is).

Also wasn't there that guy who made his own copper v-reg 7900gtx sinks? I know he a website sellin em, but damn if I remember the name.

Attention guys....

You know, I think that this "mystery chip" is a fake. It just does not look right to me. I think it's been photochopped.

The original pictures had this area blurred out, saying "Keep out"

Then now we can see it??? Also, the chip looks just like a GPU chip from a 7900GT or something like that.

If it was real, a chip that big should be aligned with the memory chips.. right between the middle of the second and third memory chips vertically would make more sense.

I just don't buy it yet.

Bo_Fox said:
Attention guys....

You know, I think that this "mystery chip" is a fake. It just does not look right to me. I think it's been photochopped.

Then now we can see it??? Also, the chip looks just like a GPU chip from a 7900GT or something like that.

If it was real, a chip that big should be aligned with the memory chips.. right between the middle of the second and third memory chips vertically would make more sense.

I just don't buy it yet.

No I agree with this... But I'm still turning the "cogs" so to speak... If it is real, I'll need something to cool it.

Also, J-Mag I've got an 80mm fan that would be directly within it's path... so, it should be alright.

Additionally, the mounting holes look to be about the same size as an adjustable NB HSF... Like the zalman series. As long as the heat isn't too bad, I'll use my spare passive Zalman.

Yeah, it could be either a DirectX9 or a Physics chip that uses 4 of the memory chips on the left side.

However, I will probably bet that it's a fake photoshopped picture.

Bo_Fox said:
Attention guys....

well that was then, this is now. when the boards get released to people, you know new images are going to come to light, NV just wanted to keep ATI in the dark for as long as they could
nope, its not a G71, the G71 has a differant logo on it, it doesnt look like any of the cores i recognize
please explain.

I'm doing some basic Photoshopping between the unblocked and blocked pic... and there are only VERY few photoshop artifacts...

There's only one that I would consider to be somewhat wierd... There's 3 solder patches about 2/3 of the way down on the green part of the chip, on the left side... The bottom one is totally inline with the base of the wafer portion of the chip.

It's *not* in a position that's covered up by the "Keep Out" censor, and it's also not in the first pics.

I dunno what it means...

Additionally, the words "Keep out" dont actually seem to be painted on... they look like the "removal" of the black mask. there are portions of the words that are lighter than others, almost like they're revealing something underneath... Something that *isn't* green like the chip on the unblocked pic.

There's a distinct lack of resistor material around each of the ramchips too...

Some small inconsistancies... but not enough to make this a definite photoshop. Photosleuthing is fun regardless :D

Bo_Fox said:
Attention guys....

I just don't buy it yet.

i disagree, i think it is real, it's smaller than any G7X GPU, and if my theory is correct, and it is some sort of HDCP/DRM component or post processing thing, it makes perfect sense for it to be where it is

as far as the Keep Out censorship, i think that was the first image to hit the net, and the person was making an attempt at not showing off too much, likely wanting to not "piss off" whomever game them the sample to take the pictures to begin with, or not to piss off Nvidia directly, why else would somebody take the time to censor it out if it wasn't really there to begin with

Back