G80 naked with mystery chip

I would be shocked if the [H] doesn't already have one (or more) 8800gtx's. They would have had to sign NDA's before getting the hardware. I'm not sure, but I think the NDA includes a clause that says they can't even talk about the NDA (for example, when it expires) because this by itself gives away details like launch dates.

I think it's safe to say that Kyle and Brent are in a dungeon somewhere near Dallas (the old SSC site, I think) putting together a 20+ page review of this, which you'll be able to read at 12:01am CST on Nov. the 8th.

So I have a question. Do you guys expect the 8800's to be available for sale at say 12:01am on Nov 8th? Are we all gonna start refreshing newegg and all the etailers sites for prices and availability? I figure that tuesday night at 12:01am would be the time to start looking to place orders. Or will they more likely be avilable for sale on that wednesday in the afternoon some time? Ideas?

All right, cool.. Kyle being in a dungeon making a review on the 8800.. hopefully it's going to be an improved review with more benchmarks and details, better than the limited reviews on HardOCP.

Anyway, Nvidia and TSMC said that they are already fabbing 65nm chips right now. I guess that means Nvidia is prepared to release an 8900 or something like that to compete with the R600. It should be released at around March, 2007--6 months after the fabbing process started.

It's roughly the same thing with the 7800GTX 512 in November/Dec. 2005 on 110 nm and then 7900GTX in April on 90 nm in order to defend the champion X1900XTX released in January. Except, this time the updated G81 will probably beat the R600 if there are some design changes.

Savoy said:
So I have a question. Do you guys expect the 8800's to be available for sale at say 12:01am on Nov 8th? Are we all gonna start refreshing newegg and all the etailers sites for prices and availability? I figure that tuesday night at 12:01am would be the time to start looking to place orders. Or will they more likely be avilable for sale on that wednesday in the afternoon some time? Ideas?

Eh, all I know is that I bit the bullet with the 7800GT, about a month before the 7900GT's came out. It's just not as easy for a Canadianer to "ebay" or "step up" to a new GPU without an insane amount of shipping or tax fees.

I'm waiting it out to the refresh... Or at LEAST until they make a good waterblock for it ;).

Savoy said:

i am thinking it may be hard to get them for anything resembling a reasonable price at launch

INQ says

OUR FRIENDS from China published very detailed pictures of the Geforce 8800 GTX and GTS cards.

Many of you noticed the smaller chip that accompanies G80 on the GTX board. You can clearly see it on the site.

We popped the question as we wanted to know what it is doing. It turns out that the small chip on the Geforce 8800 cards is an Nvidia NVIO chip. It provides dual 400MHz RAMDAC and Dual - Dual Link DVI output, TV Out and HDCP. Our informative friends call the chip External Video I/O Chip or simply External RAMDAC. We don’t have any idea why Nvidia needed that, as RAMDAC has been normally part of the chip for generations.

The detailed review in, Chinese, is here but you can always translate it but you can see some cool DX10 rendering pictures and detailed specs here. µ

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=35385

Cool, so what do I win?

It is a Ramdac, after all.

I wonder if there's going to be a TV tuner at some point, now that ATI has abandoned the TV wonder series.

i guess i am wondering if this will allow SLI on multiple monitors, that's probably the biggest impact something like this could have i think, VIVO is typically used in HTPC's and those don't usually get 25cm long $700 video cards

yevaud said:
Cool, so what do I win?

It is a Ramdac, after all.

I wonder if there's going to be a TV tuner at some point, now that ATI has abandoned the TV wonder series.

Respect.

You win our respect, Gawd.

Yeah, I think the main reason for this was to reduce the die-size of the physically huge G80 chip made on an aging 90nm process.

Bo_Fox said:
Yeah, I think the main reason for this was to reduce the die-size of the physically huge G80 chip made on an aging 90nm process.

it was due to less electrical noise plus the ability to independantly control the quality of the display output irrelevant of design and manufacturer.

i guess i am wondering if this will allow SLI on multiple monitors, that's probably the biggest impact something like this could have i think, VIVO is typically used in HTPC's and those don't usually get 25cm long $700 video cards

Quadros can already do multi monitor SLI... they don't need an extra chip.

External RAMDAC sounds kindof neat... I wonder if it will improve analog video quality. When it comes to analog video, ATI really is the best of the two major players (at the moment)...

Yashu said:
Quadros can already do multi monitor SLI... they don't need an extra chip.
I'd never heard this before. Would this be a good reason to do a BIOS or driver hack to make your cards detect as Quadros, and could you do so without sacrificing any of your gaming performance?

kleox64 said:
it was due to less electrical noise plus the ability to independantly control the quality of the display output irrelevant of design and manufacturer.

Yup, that's a good reason, but the catalyst for this was to reduce the enormous die size on 90nm, as per the INQ.

Back