G80 naked with mystery chip

PigCorpse said:
The chip is all the way on the left...

+1 for SLI helper chip

it could also be something to do with the display... since it is right next to all of the outputs...

if its intigrated PPU
omg.gif
omg.gif
omg.gif
omg.gif

nah, its got something to do with the monitor outputs, sli stuff, or something along those lines. I'm sure we'll find out soon enough.

It looks exactly like the bridge chip on the GX2. And since its only on the gts version, I'm betting that it acts as a bridge to make up for the lack of the new double sli connectors on the gtx.

If it IS a bridge chip, I wonder if we can disable it...

Actually, it looks like it's on the GTX too...

8800gtx2h1umlaqvfiwkio5.jpg

PS - Yes Ms. Lethal this is my own bandwidth :)

Ah, didnt see the little mspaint over. the more I think about what it could be, the more confusing it gets. I still think it has something to do with PCI-E / SLI signaling.

I'm still considering a co-processor of some sort. I mean, there are 2 different memory busses on this chip right? With two different quantities of available RAM...

It's close enough to the ram chips on the left to access them with good latency.

I've also heard about Nvidia's new AA algorithm... Lossless AA, such as the R600 might be featuring.

Arcygenical said:
I'm doing some basic Photoshopping between the unblocked and blocked pic... and there are only VERY few photoshop artifacts...

There's only one that I would consider to be somewhat wierd... There's 3 solder patches about 2/3 of the way down on the green part of the chip, on the left side... The bottom one is totally inline with the base of the wafer portion of the chip.

It's *not* in a position that's covered up by the "Keep Out" censor, and it's also not in the first pics.

I dunno what it means...

Additionally, the words "Keep out" dont actually seem to be painted on... they look like the "removal" of the black mask. there are portions of the words that are lighter than others, almost like they're revealing something underneath... Something that *isn't* green like the chip on the unblocked pic.

There's a distinct lack of resistor material around each of the ramchips too...

Some small inconsistancies... but not enough to make this a definite photoshop. Photosleuthing is fun regardless :D

Right on!!! That's what I just noticed myself after comparing the pictures again a few mintues ago. Photosleuthed.. I like that!

Yeah, nothing green--it looks quite different in the original "masked" picture.

zg75 said:
mystery chip = ramdac

I liked the rumor that said it was a dedicated 79xx class gpu for physics

but yes its just a ramdac

Its probable a DX10 to DX5 converter so you can use your old windows 98 games :D :D

Unknown-One said:
Maybe its a buzzer to warn you if the card starts overheating?
i was thinking about that and i would say i like that but that just me :O

The RAMDAC is still used for DVI, but in a somewhat reduced fashion.

phide said:
The RAMDAC is still used for DVI, but in a somewhat reduced fashion.

thats true, finally we will be able to have great 2D image quality that is consistant across brands.

apparrently it assists with the DUal Link DVI feature from what i have read about it, is probably a great thing for those running multiple monitors

Wouldn't it be nice if it let you run multiple monitors and SLI at the same time? Can I dare hope?

Astral Abyss said:
Wouldn't it be nice if it let you run multiple monitors and SLI at the same time? Can I dare hope?

i think there may be hope.....the power is certainly there.....perhaps this is what it's all about, quad SLI on three widescreens......now that would be sweet

Why can't Kyle Bennett just comment on this.. what he thinks about this mystery chip?

It'd be interesting to hear just one sentence from him, what his guess is...

Kyle, no fear! If you turn out to be very wrong after it's officially revealed soon, we'd understand, so don't fear the personal embarrassment. heh heh.. :cool:

^^ dumbass, ever hear of something called "NDA" ?
He doesn't have to guess, he knows what it is. He just can't say.
You'll notice that the people who know what it is have stayed away from this thread. This is not by accident- if they engage us, we might be able to pose compromising questions.

Yes, Kyle and Brent know that its the new isolated RAMDAC, which gives us consistent high quality and /cross fingers, SLI with multimonitors.

yevaud said:
^^ um, ever hear of something called "NDA" ?
He doesn't have to guess, he knows what it is. He just can't say.
You'll notice that the people who know what it is have stayed away from this thread. This is not by accident- if they engage us, we might be able to pose compromising questions.

When you say "um", it makes you sound like a high school teenage girl!

Only girls like to say "um" ! While *rolling eyes* :rolleyes: or something like that.

Bo_Fox said:
When you say "um", it makes you sound like a high school teenage girl!

Only girls like to say "um" ! While *rolling eyes* :rolleyes: or something like that.

Fixed

its has more functions then the RAMDAC, be patient just a little more then week to go :)

Here, a dumbass.. that's better! LOL

I thought that a NDA was only necessary if Nvidia actually shared the details to Kyle and the other guys at [H]ardOCP.

Kyle! (yelling out for you...) , Do you know about this mystery chip.. YES or NO? Are you under a NDA with Nvidia?

That's all I want to know for now, out of curiosity.

Back