[H]ardFolding Community Boxen Program

Status
Not open for further replies.
Were those P4 motherboards you needed? I have a Matsonic
MSF27c (I think...I took a pic with iPhone and its a bit blury)
takes PC3200
Its new I think. Been in a box for a long time. Long story behind it, but I'll go to my house tomorrow and get the particulars on it. I also have some other stuff if you need it.
a couple all copper heat sink for CPU Probably for AMD but could be [H]ard Rigged :)
an AOpen 300w P/S
an Enermax P/S (pretty sure its much bigger than 300w)
an IBM Deskstar 10GB HD
a couple CD Drives and I am pretty sure there is a DVD-ROM only drive too
and cables of all sorts.

If any of it sounds like it might be useful, just let me know and I'll get more info on them Sunday when I go by my house.

I've got a couple 478 P4 2g cpu's.....if you have no need for the board, we could probably use it. I've got more optical drives than we need, and the same goes for HDD's. Good PSU's can always be used, as well as ram.

Don't really need any cables right now, we've got two giant boxes of them right now. I'm at the point where I could use some cases if anyone has any laying around......looks aren't important at all.....

Thanks for your offers.... if you want to send anything out, pm me and I'll get you my address....

Fold On!!!!

the Matsonic has a VIA Chipset P4X400+8235. No Video, but I do have an old AGP video card if needed. Do you need the copper HS to go with it?
The P/S is an Enermax EG465P-VE wwith 431W with the +12V @ 20A. It is the best I have right now. I also have an old case as well, but like you said it ain't pretty :), but it's free!!

the Matsonic has a VIA Chipset P4X400+8235. No Video, but I do have an old AGP video card if needed. Do you need the copper HS to go with it?
The P/S is an Enermax EG465P-VE wwith 431W with the +12V @ 20A. It is the best I have right now. I also have an old case as well, but like you said it ain't pretty :), but it's free!!

Perfect.

Yeah, I do need the heatsink, but I've got more AGP video cards than I know what to do with right now:)

That PSU is more than adequate for what we need, so it will work well.

Thank you so much for your participation in this project. Between your cash donations and now this....... honestly, my most sincere thanks to you man...

/beer and tamales for you!!!!

Check your pm....

Happy to have my old stuff go for something worthwhile instead of the dump! I'm packing it up now. I'll try to get it shipped today, but definitely by tomorrow.

Happy to have my old stuff go for something worthwhile instead of the dump! I'm packing it up now. I'll try to get it shipped today, but definitely by tomorrow.

good thing yes. BTW this is what they do to old computers in Russia

burningPCs001.jpg

let the burning begin!!
burningPCs002.jpg

burningPCs003.jpg

burningPCs006.jpg

toxic fumes...hmm... nice :)
burningPCs007.jpg

funny thing is that in a ton of techno junk u get more gold ratio than in a ton from the best gold mine of the world :p

And not only gold, but other useful metals, so recycling techno junk is a profitable business ;)

DE, I have 2 boxes on the way. P/S, copper heatsink, and mobo. They should be there Fri or Sat. Coming via USPS. I hope you can find room to put it with all of the other donations you have:D

DE, I have 2 boxes on the way. P/S, copper heatsink, and mobo. They should be there Fri or Sat. Coming via USPS. I hope you can find room to put it with all of the other donations you have:D

Thank you very much!

I'll find space one way or another... my wife has resigned herself to fact that our house is slowly turning into a rather cluttered boxen assembly factory:)

Thanks again to everyone that has taken the time and spent the money to contribute to this project... it's really amazing to see how generous the [H]orde is:cool:

I've been thinking (oh lord, look out) about this program a bit. How many boxen does it take to compete with one graphics card based folder? I think where possible we should try to put the cheapest video card that folds into the boxen. What do you guys think?

I disagree. Even though GPUs have a PPD advantage, a CPU can perform a wider range of computations. I can still fold with a P3 processor bought in 2000, but I can't fold on a x1950 ATI card that came out in 2005?

My thoughts were about PPD. Well that and PPW (Points Per Watt)and maximizing the amount of PPB (Points Per Boxen :D) Longevity was not as much of a concern. I am still folding on an AMD 3200+, but I am looking at an AGP 3850 to slide into it to get a lot more PPD without having to upgrade the whole system. That card would make massive improvements on my production on that boxen.

The idea of upgrading a boxen for GPU in certain cases seems fine by me. I have an 8800 GS that I bought this year specifically because I needed an interum card until Larabee was ready (hopes!!!). The added benefit of folding now has been an extra bonus. However, if this BETA falls just like the other one did, then it provided what points I needed as extra. I will still continue to have my E6600 (by then Q6600) folding full force regardless of what video card it has.

The parts in the program are free to the program. The cash should be for the shipping to the boxen's home. At this rate, we have nearly 6 boxes ready. I don't see a slow down just yet that warrants a need for greater PPD, when this PPD is just bonus to what we already have.

Good points. How long did the last Beta last? And yes I sent some parts to DE and it cost $25. i can't imagine how much a whole boxen would cost.

I would figure it to be around $30 for a fully assembled box. I think the GPU1 beta was about a year to year and a half. Also note that the SMP client is still in beta also. I don't know exactly what constitutes the end of this beta though. I figure a finalized installer and better release of CPU cycles when needed will be it.

Man....what a week......

I think I put in more hours at work this week than I have in about 10 years....thank God it's over:)

Anyhow, quick update.

I received OhSoCheesy's donation, and everything is in perfect shape! Big time thanks and a beer and a warm tamale to you my friend!!!

My work schedule was not anticipated, and I had no idea I would be putting in the hours I did. Because of this, I was not able to get everything I had planned on done, but I will get caught up this weekend. I have a very light schedule next week, it's "summer break" at school next week, so my hours are really light. I will get the first two boxen out to their new homes on Monday, and I should be able to get number three together and shipped out by Wednesday or Thursday.

Sorry for the delay guys..... but like I said, I'll get back on schedule asap!!!

Thanks again to everyone!!! Fold On!!

We appreciate your efforts DE! Don't kill yourself. Work will always be there. Remember, family may not! So take care of your wife (and kids??). Then have a go at putting #3 together. Go enjoy one of those tamales n beer you are always talking about and take a load off. Enjoy your weekend!

Since, digital_exhaust has been busy .... and did not have time to post today...

Good News .... Boxen #1 is shipped and on it's way ..
Boxen #2 will be out the door in a day ...

digital_exhaust will post details soon ...

Sorry guys... life has been a bit of a whirlwind for me the last two weeks, and unfortunately, things haven't settled down quite yet.

As Evil said, Boxen 1 is finally on it's way.... got it out yesterday. It's on it's way to schenksmill, and I will get number 2 out to PsychoFanatic this afternoon.....

The specifics on the boxen are as follows....

P4 2.8g (thanks to Xilikon), 512m ram running the diskless client. Pretty basic, but they are both 100% stable and have been putting out about 150ppd.

Should have some news regarding 3 and 4 by Monday afternoon, I'm still waiting for some information regarding some potentially exciting donations.... I will post back as soon as I have any solid information...

Fold On guys..... and don't forget the beers and tamales:)

it just shipped yesterday? oh well i'm sorry i didn't tell you guys this earlier but xilikon had asked for my shipping info way back on the 22nd so i thought it was shipping within like a day but anyway yeah i'm going to be on vaca. from july 7th-14th so i won't have that boxen up and running till the 14th/15th. i mean my parents are going to be home so no worries about said boxen sitting outside all the time. but just wanted to give you guys the heads up.

Edit: it was kendrak lols it's been a loooonnnggg day. :D

I'm going to assume that Digi just wants to the box out of his living room and if it takes a few extra days to get pluged in thats fine. You could also tell your folks just to take it out of it's box and plug it in and hit the powerbutton. they way we have these set up thats all there is to getting them running.

it just shipped yesterday? oh well i'm sorry i didn't tell you guys this earlier but xilikon had asked for my shipping info way back on the 22nd so i thought it was shipping within like a day but anyway yeah i'm going to be on vaca. from july 7th-14th so i won't have that boxen up and running till the 14th/15th. i mean my parents are going to be home so no worries about said boxen sitting outside all the time. but just wanted to give you guys the heads up.

No worries man... I had no idea that Xil had your shipping info..... oops:eek:

It's fine... I have been "slacking" due to some uncontrollable circumstances lately and these boxen should have shipped out much sooner than they did... but it's on it's way now.

And really, Kendrak is 100% correct... just have your folks plug it in and fire it up... or don't, either way, it will be folding along soon enough:)

Thanks for helping out with the project, and beers and tamales to you man..... Fold On!!

Huh, did I ask for shipping infos ? I'm confused about that as well...

**Program Notes**

I have updated the 2nd Post on Front Page with information about Boxen 1 & Boxen 2.
Boxen Stats and Status is listed there.

WHOO HOOO!!!!!

Just got a nice box o' goodies from jws2346!!!!

Lot's of good stuffs here!! Several CPU's and a pile of ram, a couple of video cards and all arrived in mucho perfecto condition!!!!

I finally have some real time off this weekend and will get an inventory together and posted up.

Thank you all so much for contributing....... and jws..... beers and tamales to you dude, thank you:)

Excellent! Thanks jws2346! and glad to see you back among us DE. I look forward to seeing where we are at. Thanks for your work!

what's up with Boxen 1 & 2? I clicked the badges on front page and they only show 1 day of folding. Am I doing something wrong or are they not folding?

what's up with Boxen 1 & 2? I clicked the badges on front page and they only show 1 day of folding. Am I doing something wrong or are they not folding?

Had some shipping issues but all is well now....and I do genuinely apologize to all of those involved for the delays and inconvenience.....I can assure you this kind of thing will not happen again.

Its no problem, just wondering. believe me I understand how things can get crazy. We appreciate your efforts and your house being our warehouse!

Had some shipping issues but all is well now....*SNIP*.....I can assure you this kind of thing will not happen again.

Digital had a few too many beers and was trying to ship these off ... and the poor people at wendys could not figure out what we wanted ...

All is good now ...

so what happened? Did you send them tamales instead of the computer? :D As long as you don't send the beer you're ok. :)~

and [H]Boxen3 comes to life thanks to OralDlight

Thanks for helping out!

Thanks OralDlight for _?_ helping out! Are we missing parts? Is there something we need to get the next one up and running?

i have an AMD x2 3600 laying around somewhere, but no HSF. I may also have a 200GB PATA drive available....

digital_exhaust has been very busy. I'm not sure where the program is at right now. Thanks for the offer! This is a very generous group. It is humbling to be a part of it.

So does anyone know where we are at on the next box? It is supposedly coming to my office to fold. If there is something we need to get it out the door, please let me know. I might be able to fund a missing part or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back