[H]ardFolding Community Boxen Program

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would it be at all possible to have a list of parts needed to complete the next boxen? Maybe a constantly updated list (ie "parts needed for boxen 4", "parts needed for boxen 5", etc)? If people don't have the parts laying around, they may be willing to purchase the parts for the next system.

I dunno, just a thought.

I'll work on that.... problem is, my internet is still flaky as shit.... really starting to piss me off. I will get a list put together as soon as possible. For the last week or so, I have only had service for 5~10 minutes at a time.... hence my absence from the forums lately...

I'll work on that.... problem is, my internet is still flaky as shit.... really starting to piss me off. I will get a list put together as soon as possible. For the last week or so, I have only had service for 5~10 minutes at a time.... hence my absence from the forums lately...

Hurry up, the supply of tamales is starting to be almost empty :(

So, any updates?

I just found out that I may have access to lots of older, complete systems. Not sure just how old they are, but I can find out. What would be the minimum specs we're looking for? I know every bit helps, but some people may not want to use the space/time to house a boxen that doesn't do too much.

So, any updates?

I just found out that I may have access to lots of older, complete systems. Not sure just how old they are, but I can find out. What would be the minimum specs we're looking for? I know every bit helps, but some people may not want to use the space/time to house a boxen that doesn't do too much.

What we are looking for are boxen that can produce around 500 ppd or higher. (maybe a bit more, maybe a bit less)

A socket 939 AMD system or the original P$ and up would be the min that I would consider. I'm just one of three, so I will let Evil and Digi chime in if they want.

Sorry it been a little quiet lately ...

With Digital Exhaust’s internet down .. it has been slowing us down a little…

I am happy to report that we were able to sell some extra items that were donated and made $70.00 for the general fund. (Sold X1950 Pro & some PC2700 Ram)

The x1950 was a retired GPU1 card .. and we have tons of PC2700 Ram

This has helped in three ways.

1) Minimized the items that Digital has to store
2) Easier to determine what we have and what we need.
3) Added some cash to the general fund

That's Great! So where does that leave us? What do we need to get the next few boxen out the door?

That's Great! So where does that leave us? What do we need to get the next few boxen out the door?

I am not 100% sure at this point.
I will call Digital tomorrow and see where we stand since he his "net" is messing up.
(He has had comcast out there like 2-3 times ... and still no fix .... crazyness)

I am thinking about putting a nvidia GPU in Boxen #4 since we have some extra money.
We can take that $70 and buy something decent, .... start looking for good deals :cool:

Let me get an update and will will go from there.

I will call Digital tomorrow and see where we stand since he his "net" is messing up.
(He has had comcast out there like 2-3 times ... and still no fix .... crazyness)

I am thinking about putting a nvidia GPU in Boxen #4 since we have some extra money.
We can take that $70 and buy something decent, .... start looking for good deals :cool:

You should check out the FS theads and try to get someone to sell you a card for $70.

Do we have a windows licence to install so we can run the GPU client?

Good point, I'm not sure it's a good idea since anyone could steal the cdkey then invalidate the install if MS detect this.

Also, I know there is more useless junk around which may not be useful to build folding boxes. Why don't you try to sell them as junk bags (a bag of random parts for 10$+shipping with maybe a nice one like a TV tuner card that I gave) and get rid of more parts while raising even more money to get the right parts ?

I have a valid Windows XP CD Key if you need one. I put a new copy of Vista on a box, so I have no need for it.

Okay, It has been a while so update time ..

We have purchased two EVGA 384-P3-N966-TR GeForce 9600 GSO 384MB Video Cards

PsychoFanatic will run one under -[H]Boxen1

schenksmill will run one under - [H]Boxen2

Kendrick & I should have these two shipped out before friday and those two should have them online a few business days after that.

We are going to look at getting some more here really soon, so stay tuned for updates.

I have free electricity so I could run a bunch of headless units if needed ..

[F]old|[H]ard

Okay, It has been a while so update time ..

We have purchased two EVGA 384-P3-N966-TR GeForce 9600 GSO 384MB Video Cards

PsychoFanatic will run one under -[H]Boxen1

schenksmill will run one under - [H]Boxen2

Kendrick & I should have these two shipped out before friday and those two should have them online a few business days after that.

We are going to look at getting some more here really soon, so stay tuned for updates.

Nice! Great job guys! I think in the short run (who knows what 3-6 months will bring) these will put up a good amount of work for the team.

We will keep this in mind..... if we can gets parts for systems you will be on the list.

cool deal .. rummaging around I see that I have a in older intel chipset mobo with a 2.4b chip and an msi mobo with an xp +1700 .. throw 256 on each and run the notfred cd on them ..would they qualify? (as far as producing enough to make them worth while)

[F]old|[H]ard

I've got free power, a S939 CPU + Mobo with a free PCIe 4x slot kicking around... If I get a cheap PSU I might be able to utilize my free power for this...

It will take a few week before we can order a third card.

As of right now, we have $15.00 dollars in the Donation Account.

We will have another $100 once Kendrak and I get the MIR's back on the video cards.

Once we get that money back , or more donations , we can get the next round of cards!

I've got free power, a S939 CPU + Mobo with a free PCIe 4x slot kicking around... If I get a cheap PSU I might be able to utilize my free power for this...

A good deal on a good PSU is what you need.

A cheap PSU will not last a long time under a constant high load like multi GPU folding will cause.

A good deal on a good PSU is what you need.

A cheap PSU will not last a long time under a constant high load like multi GPU folding will cause.

Well, it's only got a single PCIe slot, so, with an 8800GS we'd be looking at a constant 220w draw or so. I'm poor enough as it is, so I don't think I'd be able to afford a card any better than that! Any cheap 500 watter would probably do it... I could wait on a deal with a corsair 450 TX... I think they're 20% off right now with a deal on newegg.

Well, Time for a little update.

First, we are very happy with the GeForce 9600 GSO Cards we got.

Thanks to PsychoFanatic & schenksmill for giving them a good home!

[H]Boxen3 seems to be down, so we will check with Oraldlight

So that bring us to [H]Boxen4

Both Kendrak & myself, got the first rebates back, and the team has $100.00 for another card.

We need the members to look for good deals on cards again.

After this, we will be out of money, and will have to decide what to do next.
We can have a fund-raiser or wait a while to see what happens.

Thoughts?

Well, Time for a little update.

First, we are very happy with the GeForce 9600 GSO Cards we got.

Thanks to PsychoFanatic & schenksmill for giving them a good home!

[H]Boxen3 seems to be down, so we will check with Oraldlight

So that bring us to [H]Boxen4

Both Kendrak & myself, got the first rebates back, and the team has $100.00 for another card.

We need the members to look for good deals on cards again.

After this, we will be out of money, and will have to decide what to do next.
We can have a fund-raiser or wait a while to see what happens.

Thoughts?

Here's another 9600GSO for $50 AR with free shipping. If you need another name/info to get this rebate (should we decide to get this card) I can help out with that if needed.

If this turns out to be true, this may be the last cheap good Nvidia GPU we have access to. Even with that aside, it might be time to consider diversifying a bit and start looking at what it would cost to put a couple ATI cards in the mix if we're going to continue doing this.

If we decide to go the ATI card route, they seem to be a bit pricier than the NV cards, but I'm not that up on the ATI side right now so that may not be the case. If it's going to take more money for that maybe we could consider a fund raiser to add the needed cash.

Even with a 50 precent hit on the NV cards $50 is had to beat for 2500 ppd.

The 9600GSO cards (the old ones with the proper amount of shaders) just can't be beat.

I say we get another while the rebate is good, get the $50 back in a rebate raise a bit more $$ and buy the best deal at that time, rince repete.

Its a great program and at these prices all the more effective.

^ I'm pretty much in agreement... get t' clicking...

Here is a 9800GTX for $150 no rebates.
Here

Its a good deal if you want only one card or don't want to mess with rebates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back