HP L2335 23" 16ms... sweet

Yes 2 monitors, one have 4 month and another 22 days.

HP2335.jpg

It fully supports 1920x1080 (HDTV) resolution, and it claims to support CVT 1.76MA, which is 1680x1050 @ 60Hz, but I have not tried it. Anyone else? 1600x1200 works fine, also claims 1600x1000 which I have not tried either. Helps if your app/drivers supports them as well. I think I've tried some of these other resolutions in games (without success), but its hard enough to find a game that supports 1920x1200 as it is.

canislupy said:
I think I've tried some of these other resolutions in games (without success), but its hard enough to find a game that supports 1920x1200 as it is.

Half-life 2; colin 5; Riddick supports 1920/1200 in the near future this resolution will be usual ;);)

Just wondering people who own this monitor, how do they find operating windows and normal pc activities. Does the bigger screen make it more complicated.

Also, someone please enlighten me on what firewire is... is it just an input to connect something like a HDD external ? does the HP have this ?

DanielVilla said:
Just wondering people who own this monitor, how do they find operating windows and normal pc activities. Does the bigger screen make it more complicated.

Also, someone please enlighten me on what firewire is... is it just an input to connect something like a HDD external ? does the HP have this ?

Personnaly I have found operating windows and normal pc activities more enjoyable...You can do so much at one time like having 2 browsers open, or having MS word open at the same time as a browser, or photoshop open at the same time dreamweaver is open..There is a lot of desktop space that you can use for multiple purposes. Also firewire is a apple creation that is suppose to compete with USB. Mostly found on Audigy cards, sony laptops and MiniDV camcorders....

DanielVilla said:

The bigger screen makes many tasks MUCH easier - as the previous poster says, you can have two large windows open side by side. That's the main reason I got it - very handy for software development.

Firewire may have started off as mainly a Mac interface, but it's very common on PC's these days. Gives about the same bandwidth as USB2, but with less CPU overhead. Very useful for things like external disks and DV camcorders for fast data transfer. Not bad when you condsider it came out around the same time as the original (slow!) USB spec.

The Firewire ports on the Apple monitor just connect to the ports on the Mac/PC - the idea is just to make them available on the monitor instead of the system box just for ease of plugging stuff in.

The HP monitor doesn't have them, but then it's not really a drawback as you just plug in directly to the system box.

I just got my HP 2335 3 days ago. Here is my review.

1. My LCD has no dead pixel or stuck pixel. But the light is slightly darker at the corner. Ok, I don't expect it is perfect!

2. I had IBM C220 and Viewsonic VP912B. The Viewsonic is much brighter than this monitor. I wish this monitor was brighter. (The brightness is set to 100%)

3. I connected PS2 by component cables. The FFX and FFX-2 looked very bad compared with the image on IBM C220. I believe the AD curcuit is quite bad. Fortunately, I have XRGB2+, I connected the PS2 through XRGB2+, the pictures looked much better on HP L2335. I concluded the component input may be for marketing, not for a real use.

4. Mine PC is a year old and have ATI 9800PRO. The DVD has a lot of video noise. It may be the 9800PRO problem. The DVD pictures looked better on VP912B or C220.

5. The ATI 9800PRO has a lot of noise when the background is black at 1920x1200. It is unacceptable bad expecially when the chip was running hard. I never played FPS and seldom play computer games. It does not make sense to upgrade the video card now.

6. Most movies I have are not 16:10 or 16:9, so there were a hugh black bar at the top and bottom.

In general, the LCD is ok. The resolution is good 1920x1200. I bought a 23" LCD because it is much lighter. I don't want to put a 80LB 21' bulky monitor on my desk. But it obvious has tradeoff. HP seems better than others in term of price and functions. However, the component, s-video or composite inputs may not be able to use due to bad picture quality. Anyone has the same experience?

Anyone uses ATI AIW 9800PRO card? It has a lot of video noise when the blackground color is black at 1920x1200. The noise is like many short "blue lines" jumping around from place to place. It is very annoying. Eventually, I may spend few hundred dollars for a new card! I have tried every setting and it still has a lot of noise. At lower resolution, I don't see this problem.

terencec said:

1. My LCD has no dead pixel or stuck pixel. But the light is slightly darker at the corner. Ok, I don't expect it is perfect!

2. I had IBM C220 and Viewsonic VP912B. The Viewsonic is much brighter than this monitor. I wish this monitor was brighter. (The brightness is set to 100%)

3. I connected PS2 by component cables. The FFX and FFX-2 looked very bad compared with the image on IBM C220. I believe the AD curcuit is quite bad. Fortunately, I have XRGB2+, I connected the PS2 through XRGB2+, the pictures looked much better on HP L2335. I concluded the component input may be for marketing, not for a real use.

4. Mine PC is a year old and have ATI 9800PRO. The DVD has a lot of video noise. It may be the 9800PRO problem. The DVD pictures looked better on VP912B or C220.

5. The ATI 9800PRO has a lot of noise when the background is black at 1920x1200. It is unacceptable bad expecially when the chip was running hard. I never played FPS and seldom play computer games. It does not make sense to upgrade the video card now.

6. Most movies I have are not 16:10 or 16:9, so there were a hugh black bar at the top and bottom.

In general, the LCD is ok. The resolution is good 1920x1200. I bought a 23" LCD because it is much lighter. I don't want to put a 80LB 21' bulky monitor on my desk. But it obvious has tradeoff. HP seems better than others in term of price and functions. However, the component, s-video or composite inputs may not be able to use due to bad picture quality. Anyone has the same experience?

Anyone uses ATI AIW 9800PRO card? It has a lot of video noise when the blackground color is black at 1920x1200. The noise is like many short "blue lines" jumping around from place to place. It is very annoying. Eventually, I may spend few hundred dollars for a new card! I have tried every setting and it still has a lot of noise. At lower resolution, I don't see this problem.

i dont have noise... on my lcd which is 23'' also and the system that its on which ius a media center generic built by me YAY also only has a powercolor radeon 9800SE so... if it works on se it should work with PRO. =/

terencec said:

im running a powercolor 9800 OEM... I have no noise on black background @ 1920x1200. sounds like a prob with your video card more than the monitor. Mine looks fantastic with DVD's! Try running another vid card if you can borrow one or test the monitor on someone elses computer. If it works fine on another one then its most likely the video card. Hope this helps

terencec said:

Make sure that "Reduce DVI Frequency for High Resolution Displays" is ticked in the options for the video card. That might solve your noise problem.

I ordered one HP 2335 , hopefully I will get it before the weekend. I wanted to ask you guys if there any way of telling if the monitor is a refurbished one? The reason I am asking is this monitor is very expensive in Iceland, about $2700. I want to make sure they are not selling refurbished one's to make more money themselves. :p

Thanks!

terencec said:

When I first got my monitor, I used it with my laptop, with a built in ATI 7500, and it had similar noise as you describe (I was actually amazed the card even did that well).

I've now got it connected to a ATI 850XT PE, and no more noise - perfect picture.

When I ordered my L2335, I was joking about how it would really suck if I had a bright green stuck pixel in the middle of my monitor... sure enough, it did, as well as a few other stuck pixels here and there, and a serious backlight issue in the top right. So... I called HP, asked them to send me a replacement after being hassled a little (I was told by the HP guy I bought it from I could get it exchanged for ANY problem, even a single stuck pixel... HP's dead pixel policy, which they have BURIED on their website, says 3... hrm... odd. Anyways, HP took their friggin time sending me a replacement, which turned out to be a refurb... with over 50 stuck pixels (I stopped counting once I got to fifty...). So, after talking to someone at tech support with a thick Indian accent, they told me they'd send me a new monitor... which I have yet to recieve. If this one has anything wrong with it, I may just ask for a refund... does anyone else have a problem with weird vertical lines blurring together when running a component cable?

I'm running Gran Turismo 4 on this moniter... what should I set the game video settings to? Normal, Progressive (480p), or HDTV (1080i)? I get little vertical blurring when I run it at progressive, and some kinda odd things when I run it at 1080i.

Suggestions please?

not really.

the market is the market. it self-corrects when it needs to and frankly, that's the way it goes. I'm not pissed at all (esp. since i sell the L2335's) because i know HP will play the game. Look for some interesting panel developments later this year from them.

cheers,

dave

Peter740 said:
Don't you guys feel ripped off now that Dell has a 24" at cheaper price then the HP..?

I know one of my buddys feels ripped off because he just bought the Samsung 24" 243T a couple months ago for a little over $2K! :D

I just told him that my 2405FP has better specs than his and is $1K cheaper. :p

hey with 1 more inch and I spoke to my dell rep and can get it to me for 900.00 plus tax and free shipping... That is a deal right now... While the hp was good this is a great deal...
Let's see HP touch that... No way since they are losing too much money nowadays... They can't mess with Michael Dell... Dell is priced right...

Peter740 said:
hey with 1 more inch and I spoke to my dell rep and can get it to me for 900.00 plus tax and free shipping... That is a deal right now... While the hp was good this is a great deal...
Let's see HP touch that... No way since they are losing too much money nowadays... They can't mess with Michael Dell... Dell is priced right...

nice...now stop thread crapping and move on. :)

dave

Peter740 said:
Sorry Dave....

lol

no worries...i understand the need for competition and i'm eagerly waiting to find out about the reliability of the 2405. however, as was pointed out to me by various customers, the Dell model for LCDs usually has some failures.

i'd love to discuss this in a separate thread, however, so...when the first 2405 reviews start popping up, let's take a look at them then.

dave

Peter740 said:

Post after you've returned it 6 times before actually getting one that doesn't have dead pixels and backlighting problems... Hey, I hope Dell proves me wrong this time, I really do, but I'm sure as hell not going to hold my breath on this one being any better than the previous LCDs out of Smell computers. :p

Peter740 said:
Don't you guys feel ripped off now that Dell has a 24" at cheaper price then the HP..?

$520+ tax cheaper than HP. It seems HP uses very deep margin.

canislupy said:
Post after you've returned it 6 times before actually getting one that doesn't have dead pixels and backlighting problems... Hey, I hope Dell proves me wrong this time, I really do, but I'm sure as hell not going to hold my breath on this one being any better than the previous LCDs out of Smell computers. :p

But take a closer look, they are made by the same OEM manufacturer as the HP. Check it out:

S-video, component and composite video, Analog & digital, exact same dot pitch, Picture in Picture, rings a bell?

It's LG philips who made for them.

For review, very favorable:

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1764458,00.asp

by contrast, the review on Benq 23" is very poor by the same co.

For an extra 3% off on top of $1079, go to

http://www.fatwallet.com/stores.php

Happy Hopping said:
But take a closer look, they are made by the same OEM manufacturer as the HP. Check it out:

S-video, component and composite video, Analog & digital, exact same dot pitch, Picture in Picture, rings a bell?

It's LG philips who made for them.

For review, very favorable:

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1764458,00.asp

by contrast, the review on Benq 23" is very poor by the same co.

For an extra 3% off on top of $1079, go to

http://www.fatwallet.com/stores.php

lovely... now, as i asked Peter740, please stop thread crapping and, when an actual legitimate review (extremetech? you're fscking kidding me!) comes along that tests both longevity and actual panel performance out of the box, we'll discuss it in another thread.

ciao,

dave

wow...since it came out on Mar 1, it is taking the public by storm, it is only 2 days and we have 5 threads just on this subject:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=867944

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=874539

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=875073

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=874987

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=849786

talk about a hot demanding product. The way I see it, even if HP is better in a hypo. scenario, the price is almost 2 to 1, so why should anyone buy HP at their price?

and why would Viewsonic introduce the VP231wb at a price point well above the 2405fw?

trust me...these questions are rhetorical UP and TO the point where you recognize the difference in quality and precision. I KNOW that my L2335s and my Viewsonics will last for years; the same CANNOT be said for Dells.

dave

Viewsonic doesn't have a 23" in wide aspect ratio.

As to HP, well, I sell them in my region, their service is very poor. They used to be good when they are called Compaq, but in the last 2 yr., not good at all.

I got a HP P910 as discontinued sale, 19" Trinitron, brand new, only last 3 mth., HP refuse to honor the 3 yr. warranty to my customer.

HP management is very poor. As another eg., see this:

http://www.engadget.com/page/24/

now HP is getting hit for producing cartridges that can stop working before they’re even used. If the class-action suit goes ahead as planned it could represent anyone in the United States that purchased an HP inkjet printer since Feb. 2001. Yowsa, now that’d be a big payout.

Or this:

http://www.engadget.com/page/25/

We don’t have a definite confirmation on this yet, but one blogger’s raising a whole lot of ruckus because apparently his HP laptop’s BIOS has a mini-PCI card whitelist—upgrade the card with a non-HP-approved device, and your laptop won’t boot..........

Seriously, what kinds of companies would have the guts to challenge their consumers to this kind of showdown? Is HP trying to publicly hemorrhage consumers?

dave_graham said:
and why would Viewsonic introduce the VP231wb at a price point well above the 2405fw?

trust me...these questions are rhetorical UP and TO the point where you recognize the difference in quality and precision. I KNOW that my L2335s and my Viewsonics will last for years; the same CANNOT be said for Dells.

dave

Now that is bull, first of all we have 3yr warranty on our dell displays... I have had mine's for a while and have had no problems whatsoever... Second the HP or viewsonic is not a better quality display cause they don't make it themselves and LG provides the panel to HP... Also the dell display panel is made by samsung and which is one of the best panels there are and at 860.00 w free shipping plus 1 more inch, I will take the dell anyday over your hp or viewsonic... Enuff said... Please don't be a hater and say the hp or viewsonic is better then the dell in quality just because you want to peddle more of your displays here... But hey if you really feel your display is better then match the dell price at 860.00 shipped free and I will take one... Lemme know...

#1.) this thread was set up for L2335 users. As i was (and still am) able to beat the pricing of most resellers in selling L2335 panels ONLY, it was offered as a service. The fact that i made absolutely nothing on any of these monitors (quite literally) prolly means nothing to you, but, take from it what you will.
#2.) Dell consistently has problems with reliability. Consistently. A warranty does not assuage this at all. The major complaints with the L2335 have consisted of a few minor cosmetic problems (i.e. the bundled vga cord bumps against the silver plastic leaving scuffs marks), a few "black bar" problems (that were rare and randomn at best), and few dead pixel issues (which were replaced with all the speed required). The complaints with the dells have been on build quality (trust me, i've had a few on this; the frames are horrible, the plastic used is subpar, etc.), the use of poor backlighting (geez, hop into the 2005fpw threads sometime), and poor service/support (that's actually more system than just panel related).
#3.) to quote a famous movie star: "It's not the size, it's how you use it." Let's be quite honest: even though the same LG panel is used in the Apple, HP, BenQ, and other displays, the implementation of these panels is quite different. Apple displays, for example, have a decidedly pink hue to them. The same problem is not present in the HP L2335 but the L2335 is known for a weaker backlight. The Viewsonics are known to have screen-door issues (but then again, no one, to my knowledge has reviewed the 231 yet) and some glare-control due to the screen coating (this is a VP912b problem). BenQ has some build quality issues and the LG version of the same is in the same boat.

So, i can understand your pissiness at my comments, but they're based on knowing the industry, the results, and just using the damn monitors. i've had (at any given time) all of the 23 inch models through my office. I've returned all of them. I'm waiting for my VP231 to come in and i'll give that a thorough test. Hell, i'll prolly get a 2405fpw and test that out to0 (i've got one on order right now anyway). But, above all else, i keep returning to my trusty VG191b and VP201b Viewsonics because their build quality is excellent, their presentation is excellent. The same cannot be said for most of the other monitors i've dealt with (with a big emphasis on the DELL monitors i've tested recently).

over and out.

dave

Happy Hopping said:
Viewsonic doesn't have a 23" in wide aspect ratio.

yes they do. http://www.viewsonic.com/products/desktopdisplays/lcddisplays/proseries/vp231wb/

it is in the channel and will be available mid-month.

Happy Hopping said:
As to HP, well, I sell them in my region, their service is very poor. They used to be good when they are called Compaq, but in the last 2 yr., not good at all.

i've dealt with them from Compaq onwards. I've run into snags here and there but overall (and as a reseller) i've never encountered a problem with them.

Happy Hopping said:
I got a HP P910 as discontinued sale, 19" Trinitron, brand new, only last 3 mth., HP refuse to honor the 3 yr. warranty to my customer.

if it was DC'd....chances are the warranty was invalidated. that'd be an issue to take up with your channel rep.

Happy Hopping said:
HP management is very poor. As another eg., see this:

http://www.engadget.com/page/24/

now HP is getting hit for producing cartridges that can stop working before they’re even used. If the class-action suit goes ahead as planned it could represent anyone in the United States that purchased an HP inkjet printer since Feb. 2001. Yowsa, now that’d be a big payout.

lol...how does this have ANYTHING to do with panel manufacture?

Happy Hopping said:
Or this:

http://www.engadget.com/page/25/

We don’t have a definite confirmation on this yet, but one blogger’s raising a whole lot of ruckus because apparently his HP laptop’s BIOS has a mini-PCI card whitelist—upgrade the card with a non-HP-approved device, and your laptop won’t boot..........

Seriously, what kinds of companies would have the guts to challenge their consumers to this kind of showdown? Is HP trying to publicly hemorrhage consumers?

HP is what HP is. *shrug* i mean, Dell's got their head so far up Intel's ass it's not funny any more. My sister-in-law has an HP laptop that's using a non-HP mini-pci card; nothings wrong with it. *shrug*

dave

Back