HP L2335 23" 16ms... sweet

Happy Hopping said:
Jeff, nobody buy this anymore. The price of this piece of sh*t is very high compares to the 24" Dell, and you gain 1 in. of screen real estate for a lesser price. Better spec.

Care to qualify that statement? If not, STFU.

canislupy said:

Thanks, canislupy.

The price of the HP is now down to $1099 at TigerDirect. That's a $100 difference from the lowest price people are getting on the Dell. I don't think price is an issue anymore.

And it has been well established that many HERE like the Dell better. However, for my purposes (professional Photoshoping), an S-IPS panel is recommended. The Apple 23" is widely used in this business, and since this is the same screen, I don't see how I can really go wrong. As stated in my original post a few lines up, the only thing that bothers me personally is the screen surface. It sounds like maybe you have both displays- can you comment on the screen surface of the two? Do you see the glitter on the HP?

I guess the only way I would consider the Dell is if I could see one in person. No stores anywhere are going to carry this, right? Any Dell owners want to invite me over to their house? =) I'm in the Los Angeles area =) I'll buy you a coke =) Maybe I'll post this in the Dell thread =)

Jeff

Actually, I do not have the Dell, nor have I seen it in person. So, unlike some posters, I do not try to bash a product I have no experience with. For all I know the Dell is the best thing since sliced bread, but that in itself does not in any way detract from the L2335 being a good monitor.

I use my L2335 for multiple purposes. Browsing, games and photoshop. The only problem with using it for photoshop is color matching. This is of course a problem for all LCDs, except maybe Eizo ColorEgde monitors (which really should still be profiled, but they are closer out of the box). I always used to get great results from my CRT without profiling, but I had to break down and buy a calibration system once I went over to LCD.

Not sure about sparkle. I'm probably too used to my L2335 at this point to be able to give you any subjective comparison without being able to do work side by side.

canislupy said:

HP is at $1099 for a 23", which is a 16 ms piece of shit w/ 500:1, 250 cd/m2.

Dell is at 24", 12 ms, 1000:1, 500 cd/m2. for a much lesser price than $1099.

why do you think this 2405 thread jump to 104 pages?

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=867944

Just because you screw up, doesn't mean you have to talk everyone else to make the same mistake.

Ok, happy, calm down. Response time is meaningless to me. I'm buying a display for color and tone accuracy, not games. If you can contribute to this thread by saying anything new like answering my questions about screen surface, then please do. Otherwise, we already have heard your opinions.

Hopefully someone will come through and I can see the Dell in person!

Jeff

i've had both and sold the HP models to people who use it in video and graphics work.

Here's my take.

1.) the HP panel overall is much better in construction. It's not only more solid it also has good heft to it. I cannot say the same for 2405fpw.

2.) HP consistently has come through for me in providing support and standing behind their products. i cannot say the same for Dell on a wide variety of cases.

3.) the 1" size increase is completely negligible as it really does nothing for the panel...the built in card reader is incredibly flakey and should be seen as a worthless bonus.

4.) Dell is also cracking down on those folks who dumped the HP panels for 850.00 i've recieved word that at least 3 of my business contacts @ dell have been fired for this.

honestly, i have a 2405fpw as my main screen. I've also had an L2335. I kept the 2405fpw simply because i had a buyer for the l2335.

dave

Happy Hopping said:
HP is at $1099 for a 23", which is a 16 ms piece of shit w/ 500:1, 250 cd/m2.

Dell is at 24", 12 ms, 1000:1, 500 cd/m2. for a much lesser price than $1099.

why do you think this 2405 thread jump to 104 pages?

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=867944

Just because you screw up, doesn't mean you have to talk everyone else to make the same mistake.

There you go again, in describing the specs of the L2335 you call it a POS right off the bat. WTF? If you can't qualify your statement, (yes, I'll say it again) S.T.F.U.

Dude, its a Dell, its cheaper (not necessarily better, just cheaper). So of course it will have a huge thread, Dell's always do because of the deals that they will give. So fucking what? That in itself DOES NOT make it a better monitor. As I said, I personally have no experience with the Dell, maybe it is better, but the only person who can say that is someone who has used both side by side extensively.

You know what? I don't know why I let you get me all worked up, as you only appeared on this thread after the Dell was released clamoring about how the HP sucked and the Dell being the best monitor ever without providing a shred of proof other then giving specs and prices which mean didly shit. You know what I smell... troll.

How did I screw up? I had my L2335 over a year ago. Where was you precious Dell then?

canislupy said:
There you go again, in describing the specs of the L2335 you call it a POS right off the bat. WTF? If you can't qualify your statement, (yes, I'll say it again) S.T.F.U.

You see, in this world, when we buy things, we compare something called the spec., short for specification. We look at the spec., compares which brand name has a better spec., then we compares the price (the cost to purchase an item with a $ sign next to it). And that's how we buy things.

After reviewing the HP one more time, you are somewhat correct to a certain extent, it is not entirely a POS, however, I already have door stoppers in each room, so thanks, but no thanks.

You know what? I don't know why I let you get me all worked up, as you only appeared on this thread after the Dell was released clamoring about how the HP sucked and the Dell being the best monitor ever without providing a shred of proof other then giving specs and prices which mean didly shit. You know what I smell... troll.

I think the opinions from that 104 pages thread of hundreds of members are quite enough. Practically, most of them said the same thing. By your twisted logic, they are all troll then?

How did I screw up? I had my L2335 over a year ago.

As a ?? Door stopper? Paper weight? Dart practice board?

ludesj said:
Ok, happy, calm down. Response time is meaningless to me. I'm buying a display for color and tone accuracy, not games. If you can contribute to this thread by saying anything new like answering my questions about screen surface, then please do. Otherwise, we already have heard your opinions.

Hopefully someone will come through and I can see the Dell in person!

Jeff

You see, instead of listening to phoney used car salesman, the decision making of people (customers) around the world can't be wrong.

Go to Yahoo.com, click Finance. Then key in the HP & Dell stock symbols. Both co. just announced their Q1 in the last 7 days.

HP -- revenues reduces, forecast FLAT.
Dell -- revenues increases, forecast of next QTR--raise est.

In short, more people around the world takes up a lot more market shares on Dell's products instead of HP. They can't all be wrong, so go w/ the trend.

Happy Hopping said:
You see, in this world, when we buy things, we compare something called the spec., short for specification. We look at the spec., compares which brand name has a better spec., then we compares the price (the cost to purchase an item with a $ sign next to it). And that's how we buy things.</QUOTE]

So what? Specs do not make one thing better than another at everything. You have to base you buying decision on what you need, not what the specs say is bigger, faster or brigher. Specs, do not tell the whole story of the quality and performance of product.

Happy Hopping said:
After reviewing the HP one more time, you are somewhat correct to a certain extent, it is not entirely a POS, however, I already have door stoppers in each room, so thanks, but no thanks.

So, you are saying you have 2 or more HP L2335s then? And you don't use them? Hey, I'll be glad to take them off your hands seeing as how you're so dissatisfied with them.

Happy Hopping said:
I think the opinions from that 104 pages thread of hundreds of members are quite enough. Practically, most of them said the same thing. By your twisted logic, they are all troll then?

What is this, a popularity contest? Do I care how many pages there are on a thread? No. Like I said, maybe the Dell is a really good monitor, I don't know, I haven't used one. But you cannot say that it is better than the L2335 just because some numbers look better and it wins a pop contest.

Dude, you're the one using twisted logic. They are not trolls, as they are not coming on this thread bashing the L2335 without giving any reason why the Dell is a better monitor to the HP. If you really do have both the HP and Dell monitors, then please, show me your review comparing them. Or heck, I'll even accept someone elses direct comparison review that proves your point.

Happy Hopping said:
As a ?? Door stopper? Paper weight? Dart practice board?

This is just about one of the dumbest replies I have ever heard.

Happy Hopping said:
You see, instead of listening to phoney used car salesman, the decision making of people (customers) around the world can't be wrong.

Go to Yahoo.com, click Finance. Then key in the HP & Dell stock symbols. Both co. just announced their Q1 in the last 7 days.

In short, more people around the world takes up a lot more market shares on Dell's products instead of HP. They can't all be wrong, so go w/ the trend.

Oh wait, no... I think this might actually be the dumbest reply I have ever heard. My bad.

I hear people are jumping off of bridges these days, they can't all be wrong... why not try it?

I have the HP L2335 and I bought the Dell 2405 to replace it a month or so ago. Needless to say, the Dell has been sent back for a full refund and I still have my HP. Why you say. Well, the Dell was a lot harsher on my eyes. I don't know if it was the 'glitter' effect or what but I could not look at that screen for more than a few minutes without having some serious eyestrain. I tried changing the picture settings as well, although I couldn't change much as it was hooked up through DVI. Nothing I changed made much difference.

Don't get me wrong, the Dell is stylish, the contrast is good, it is bright, very bright actually. I actually had the two screens, side-by-side comparing the two. I just like my HP more. I play games on it, photoshop, everything. It handles everything so well. There is no need to bash the HP. They are both good monitors.

Thanks for the reply, kraken. Very nice to hear from someone who has owned both! I actually just placed my order this morning with tigerdirect. And now you've reassured me that I made a good choice! =)

Jeff

ludesj said:
Thanks for the reply, kraken. Very nice to hear from someone who has owned both! I actually just placed my order this morning with tigerdirect. And now you've reassured me that I made a good choice! =)

Jeff

Even though you really can't go wrong with either monitor, I am sure you will be more than happy with your HP. I have had mine for almost a year and it has been great.

Anyway, have fun with your new monitor. :)

kraken0698 said:
I have the HP L2335 and I bought the Dell 2405 to replace it a month or so ago. Needless to say, the Dell has been sent back for a full refund and I still have my HP. Why you say. Well, the Dell was a lot harsher on my eyes. I don't know if it was the 'glitter' effect or what but I could not look at that screen for more than a few minutes without having some serious eyestrain. .

was it the brightness? have to try to turn the brightness down?

Happy Hopping said:
was it the brightness? have to try to turn the brightness down?

It wasn't so much the brightness, although I did have to turn that down. It was almost a glitter effect. The only way I can describe it is you look at a CRT monitor for a while with the refresh set to 60hz or so. It was that same kind of eyestrain. Comparing it to my HP, the HP seemed a lot more.... solid, I guess is the word I would use.

It also seemed like the Dell had a very narrow FOV. If I were to move my head around slightly, the colors would change and that glitter effect would show up. It was weird, hard to describe. I just know that I wasn't going to be able use that monitor, as I can sit at my HP for hours and not have any eyestrain whatsoever.

I don't know, maybe eventually my eyes would have adjusted to it, but why bother when I have a great monitor already. :)

kraken0698 said:
It wasn't so much the brightness, although I did have to turn that down. It was almost a glitter effect. The only way I can describe it is you look at a CRT monitor for a while with the refresh set to 60hz or so. It was that same kind of eyestrain. Comparing it to my HP, the HP seemed a lot more.... solid, I guess is the word I would use.

It also seemed like the Dell had a very narrow FOV. If I were to move my head around slightly, the colors would change and that glitter effect would show up. It was weird, hard to describe. I just know that I wasn't going to be able use that monitor, as I can sit at my HP for hours and not have any eyestrain whatsoever.

I don't know, maybe eventually my eyes would have adjusted to it, but why bother when I have a great monitor already. :)

Just curious, but if you liked your HP so much why did you order the Dell?

turtles said:
Just curious, but if you liked your HP so much why did you order the Dell?

I thought it would be a better monitor, the specs looked better. I was going to eventually sell the HP on Ebay to cover the cost of the Dell.

Oh well.

:)

I don't know why this Happy Hopping kid decided to come in here and shit all over this thread.

This has been one of the most useful threads for deciding which monitor to get - I've purchased an L2335 and I should have it on wednesday in no small part to the experiences people have had with it and reported to on this forum.

If he doesn't like the monitor, fine. One post would have been fine. If he likes the Dell better, who cares? The title of this post is HP L2335, not "HP vs DELL." I'm sure the Dell screen is very nice, and the HP screen is very nice too.

Oh well. I appreciate all the feedback that's been posted on this thread even if this kid doesn't.

cbreaker said:
I don't know why this Happy Hopping kid decided to come in here and shit all over this thread.

This has been one of the most useful threads for deciding which monitor to get - I've purchased an L2335 and I should have it on wednesday in no small part to the experiences people have had with it and reported to on this forum.

If he doesn't like the monitor, fine. One post would have been fine. If he likes the Dell better, who cares? The title of this post is HP L2335, not "HP vs DELL." I'm sure the Dell screen is very nice, and the HP screen is very nice too.

Oh well. I appreciate all the feedback that's been posted on this thread even if this kid doesn't.

i agree.

dave

since happy hopping turned this into an HP vs Dell thread, i'll change it to a Hate Happy Hopping thread, roar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I got my HP last week, and have been using it since for retouching. I'm overall happy with my purchase. Of course, the size is great. The screen real estate is very useful. It's amusing to me that I have to actually turn my head to look at another part of the screen! Brightness looks good all across and even on the edges, which are only slightly less bright, and possibly very slightly yellowish. There's no pink, and no dingy edges as I have seen on some Apple displays.

But unfortuneately, it does indeed share the glitter effect with the Apple displays. I'm getting used to it, but I wish it wern't so. I don't think it would bother me if I wern't doing retouching. Also, the blacks aren't very black at all, especially at night. This doesn't really effect usability, just aestetics. So probably not the best screen for DVDs or games. But I feel confident knowing that I have an Apple screen, with its high reputation in graphics work, in a more flexable and less expensive package.

So thumbs up! =)

Jeff

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a great forum man!
ive ordered l2335 and maybe able to pic up tomorrow. I still hav a chance to cancell it coz i havent pay yet. The reason holding me bak is the 2405fpw. I m frusted. Dunno which to get.
L2335 = $1750nz
2405fpw= $ 1759nz (no stock till 25 june) we dont really hav coupons like ppl in the states.
lucky ppl~!...

I ve been lookin through all these threads. Dont seem to hav a pic of both lcd side by side..
did anyone see any??
help is appreciated~!! i hav to decide b4 tomorrow~!!

ludesj said:
So I got my HP last week, and have been using it since for retouching. I'm overall happy with my purchase. Of course, the size is great. The screen real estate is very useful. It's amusing to me that I have to actually turn my head to look at another part of the screen! Brightness looks good all across and even on the edges, which are only slightly less bright, and possibly very slightly yellowish. There's no pink, and no dingy edges as I have seen on some Apple displays.

But unfortuneately, it does indeed share the glitter effect with the Apple displays. I'm getting used to it, but I wish it wern't so. I don't think it would bother me if I wern't doing retouching. Also, the blacks aren't very black at all, especially at night. This doesn't really effect usability, just aestetics. So probably not the best screen for DVDs or games. But I feel confident knowing that I have an Apple screen, with its high reputation in graphics work, in a more flexable and less expensive package.

So thumbs up! =)

Jeff

Glad to hear you like the monitor. I do a lot of photoshop work on mine and it is just so much better for that than the Dell 2405 was when I tried it. Games work great too. The black levels could be better, but they aren't bad.

The fact that you can also use the monitor as a TV is a bonus too. There aren't too many 1080p capable LCD TVs for this price, well none that I know of. So, enjoy. :)

Still love mine I got last October :).. Movies, PS2, Photoshop, dual surfing, etc....Love it..Better than my dells at work..

Happy Hopping said:

Your a fuckin' moron!! STFU!! Ok so your saying AMD sucks because there stock price is less than Intel?! AMD has pioneered new technologies and I have owned both new intel and amd systems and prefer the performance of my AMD 64! You can't judge the quality of a product by stock price! I bet you dont even know that Dell doesnt even produce the LCD panel for that monitor! Samsung does! That goes for HP also... LG (a corporation affliated with philips) manufactured the HP LCD.... In my experience with both samsung LCD's and LG LCD's, I like LG's better! So stop with the bashing and being a lil' punk ass bitch! :p

for anyone interested hp dropped the price of the L2335 to $1199... might be time for me to buy a 2nd one :)

bought a l2335 today. Its not bad. Expect for the 2 dead pixels around the middle.. =(
how many pixels was it to get it replaced??
anyway..
watchin movie is soso... i dont think any LCD on da market today can produce liquid smooth frames. also a high hertz in Hi resolution..

Still waitin for the Dell2405 i bought from sum1 from states... havent heard from him since...
paid already....but...
doubts r creepin in my mind.
friendly guy...though
i ll just wait for a few days..
hes probably busy =>

Why has L2335 thread died down... ??
evry1 moved 2 2405fpw threads?

I was considering this LCD but ended up buying the 2405fpw. It'd be great to have some pics and a comparison of both when you get the 2405fpw.

Also HP has a very forgiving return policy. If you have 1 dead pixel you can call up and return it. But then again you take your chances having it again with the replacement.

swoop56 said:
I was considering this LCD but ended up buying the 2405fpw. It'd be great to have some pics and a comparison of both when you get the 2405fpw.

Also HP has a very forgiving return policy. If you have 1 dead pixel you can call up and return it. But then again you take your chances having it again with the replacement.

sorry , dont think i ll b gettin a 2405fpw...
read this....i m one of the latest victim.....damn...

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=913088

swoop56
watch out for Rmenkin~! dont buy anything from anyone on this forum~!

Krazy_Joe said:
for anyone interested hp dropped the price of the L2335 to $1199... might be time for me to buy a 2nd one :)

where do you see this? I just checked HP's site and it's $1399.

john4455 said:
Wow, the f2304 (the version of the L2335 with speakers) is on sale for $799 after a $100 rebate : http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/s...1=flat_lcd&catLevel=2&product_code=P9612A#ABA

I'm not sure it has all the inputs of the L2335, but it is the same panel.
I wish I could find more reviews of this monitor. There is a crappy Cnet review but they rate image quality as mediocre :( I don't see how that's possible though considering it uses the same panel as the L2335 and Anandtech just gave it a rave review.

saiyan said:
Wow. The L2335 LCD just got a very positive review at AnandTech .

Not bad for a LCD that was released over an year ago.

Its a great pannel and they also say it is very competitive against the new dell 24" samsung pannel!

john4455 said:
Wow, the f2304 (the version of the L2335 with speakers) is on sale for $799 after a $100 rebate : http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/s...1=flat_lcd&catLevel=2&product_code=P9612A#ABA

I'm not sure it has all the inputs of the L2335, but it is the same panel.

Did anyone actually get this price?

I checked it the first night and it said "sold out - no stock". The following morning the website was done. Later that day the website was back up but the $700 instant rebate was gone and the monitor was back to $1499.

It seems this was a mistake on HP's part.

Kuttermax said:
Did anyone actually get this price?

I checked it the first night and it said "sold out - no stock". The following morning the website was done. Later that day the website was back up but the $700 instant rebate was gone and the monitor was back to $1499.

It seems this was a mistake on HP's part.

UPDATE: Just checked the website again. The monitor now has a $200 instant rebate along with the $100 mail-in rebate bringing the total price to $1299. Not bad but no where near the $799 price.

Can someone help me with calibratig my L2335? I have used several calibration progs, but just can't seem to get it right. Can someone post their OSD settings? Color, brightness... etc? That would be a help.

Back