miniG5ized

Fanatik

Limp Gawd
miniG5ized

Hello all. Well here is my latest project called miniG5ized. If you can`t tell from the title I`m minimizing a G5 case. I`m making it so it can fit an MATX mobo, atx psu, full optical drive and three hdds. Also did I mention it will be watercooled. For those of you that don`t know me since this is my first project log at [H] here are some mods i have completed.
Soldam revamped.
soldam.jpg

Ecube.
IMG_0060.jpg

Now that you know me a little bit better here are the specs of miniG5ized.
MSI-RS480M2 mobo
FX57
x850xt pe
2gb ocz
Ultra Xconnect psu
Pioneer DVDrw
2x 120 gb samsung hdds
1x 160 gb samsung hdd

Watercooling:
2x c-system mag pumps
Aqua Computer Cuplex XT CPU block
Alphacool mosfet coolers
Alphacool bga coolers
GFX Alphacool NexXxoS GPX for gpu
Angel eye window res
HTF3 Single 80 rad

Enought chit chat. Here are the pics
Here is how the inside of the case will be setup with the parts. I will have the optical facing up. I`m going to move that stealth thing the case has to the top. I will then put a fan controller in the empty slot left behind.
IMG_0250.jpg

IMG_0249.jpg

Also to the right of the optical I`m creating an acrylic enclosure to duct air to the rad and to exhaust the air out the top. It will have two 120mm aluminum sanyo denki fans. One on top and one on the bottom. The cube enclosure will be a duct attaching the fans to the rad. I will use aluminum fan adapters to adapt the 120mm fans to the enclusure which will be 80mm. The rad will be in between somewhere. The hardrives will go right below the optical. I will be able to fit three of them. The chrome fan is there to represent how thick the enclosure will be and to see how close it will come to the video card.
IMG_0251.jpg

IMG_0252.jpg

Here it is being cut down.
PICT1726.jpg

PICT1727.jpg

PICT1728.jpg

Done.
PICT1729.jpg

PICT1730.jpg

The leftovers
PICT1732.jpg

PICT1733.jpg

PICT1734.jpg

This is the cover G5 uses to stealth their drives. It very nice. Instead of being a flap that swings down it slides down. Very clean.
PICT1735.jpg

PICT1736.jpg

This is where it is going now.
PICT1737.jpg

Till next time.

how are you planning to reattach the pieces of the case? brackets? welding? duct tape?

The windows that will be cutout from the top and bottom sections made from acrylic will hold the peices together. I will also use metal l brackets for the inside parts.

aaaarggh!!!

OH MY GAD! you kill this beautifull case!!! :eek:

:D

well, i think this is a good project. i follow it! Suscribe!

Started the bottom window. All the pics are without the handles in place. It just made cuttting easier.
IMG_0505.jpg

Beveled the edges
IMG_0508.jpg

Light blue plexi i will be using for the windows.
IMG_0519.jpg

dry fitted
IMG_0523.jpg

IMG_0524.jpg

IMG_0525.jpg

Pic of screws I`m using.
IMG_0526.jpg

IMG_0527.jpg

Fanatik you should really think about Tig welding the case.

definitely one of the more innovative mods in recent times... looks very interesting.
i'm invincible!

Just so you know, that sound which you heard while you were cutting up this G5 case was the collective outcry of Apple fans around the globe.

I assume you've already taken care of the security arrangements to prevent any unfortunate 'incidents'? :eek:

Other than those scenes of carnage, nice mod and a very nice garden ^_^

Oh and a question are you gonna be adding the handles back on? Cause that would be slick!

Oh yes the handles are going back. It wouldn't be a G5 without them. :D Its just when cutting and drilling it was easier without them.

I would tig weld the pieces together but I don't have the machinery or know how to do it. I'm gonna put metal aluminum plates over that seam before bolting the window down to cover the seam. It will be a decorative piece but it'll serve the purpose of hiding the seams.

Oh that's my moms garden. I'll send her those compliments. :D

Really looking forward to seeing this one done. So far, it's looking good, but I can't help but feel that the window is kinda out of place. I think the project would look a whole lot cleaner without it, but that's just my two cents.

Keep up the good work!

Well here is what has been done since last update. I drilled holes for the rivets that will hold brackets in place. The bracket will hold the two bottom pieces and the two top pieces together.
IMG_0531.jpg

Cut a notch in the plexi for the bracket.
IMG_0533.jpg

Here is what I`m going to use to hide the seams. Its just an aluminum plate to hide it. Still thinking about the design of it.
IMG_0538.jpg

Here it is with the bracket put together.
IMG_0541.jpg

IMG_0543.jpg

IMG_0544.jpg

After doing this I decided that the screws needed to be changed. Also I had to do something different than just drilling holes around the window. I decided to dress it up a bit and be different. Instead of the large screws with the washers I`m going to use set screws. This way they look clean and are flush with the case. Here is a pic of them. I`m still waiting for them to come in.
MSSX.jpg

This is the pattern I will use for the screws. It will be one large set screw with two smaller ones next to them. I think the pattern looks very nice.
IMG_0545.jpg

IMG_0549.jpg

IMG_0550.jpg

Then I started the cutting for the top window. I finished the top window but forgot to take a pic of it but it looks the same as the other window so its nothing you havent seen.
IMG_0554.jpg

IMG_0555.jpg

Finally this is where i left off. The brackets that will hold the whole thing together.
IMG_0559.jpg

Since I couldn`t work on the case anymore because I didn`t have screws to hold everything together I moved on to the acrylic that will be on the front and back. Here it is being smoothed out after cutting it out.
IMG_0563.jpg

Here is the frosted look I will have when I stencil the logo on. This was just a test to see how it will look. It is frosted on both sides. When I put the logo on it will be only frosted on one side so it should be more transparent.
IMG_0566.jpg

Then I started working on the bevel edge the clear acrylic will have. I moved the slant on the sanding wheel to give me the right angle I needed. Man i love this dremel scroll saw. Makes things so much easier.
IMG_0567.jpg

Almost there.
IMG_0570.jpg

Finally i get the edge I want. That black mark is a sharpie line I drew so that I wouldn`t sand too much off and to keep the edge uniform.
IMG_0574.jpg

IMG_0575.jpg

IMG_0576.jpg

It got a little messy.
IMG_0577.jpg

Then I started to play around with a scrap piece of plexi to get flame polishing done. I learned you need to have a very smooth edge or the file marks will show up. As you can see here.
IMG_0578.jpg

So even though the sanding wheel made things easier I still have to hand file the edges and get the marks off. I will then use 1000 grit paper to make them smooth. I still need to do this. I was only able to finish one edge out of four. I need to get this lines out of the edge before flame polishing.
IMG_0581.jpg

Starting to get most of them out. Using a small needle file.
IMG_0582.jpg

IMG_0584.jpg

Here are both peices. Not done yet
IMG_0596.jpg

After stoping there I moved on to the MDF jig that will help me get the curves on the bottom and top of the acrylic pieces. This is one of the four pieces that will be cutout to this shape to build the jig. I was only able to cut one curve out.
IMG_0586.jpg

IMG_0595.jpg

I sent you a PM about something else but I put here so you would see it.

xrdotimcr

In your first pic, Is that a lamp? It looks like it has an lcd screen rigged to it.

the chopping freaked me out - but seing your meticulous plexi polishing skillz made me subscribe 2 see where this is going - so far so good

Fanatik said:
Yes its an ikea lamp. I took it off the base and made a bracket so it can swivel on the back of case. THen I took off the lamp enclosure and put the lcd on there. Here is the worklog and the gallery shots.
http://www.austinmodders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=88
http://www.austinmodders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=427

IKEA lamp, huh? Aren't they building an IKEA out in Round Rock or someplace? I was just back home in Austin a few weeks ago and saw in the Statesman that they'd purchased, like, 27 acres of land for the behemoth. It'll make it easier to get lamp enclosures, I guess. ;)

Keep up the good work!

Nice. Thanx for the news. That would be awesome. I love that store but driving to houston all the time to buy things kinda of sucks.

This'll be an awesome mod to watch, oh and fanatik, were you at quakecon this year? would've sworn I saw one of your mods in the pre-reg line.

amalgamas said:
This'll be an awesome mod to watch, oh and fanatik, were you at quakecon this year? would've sworn I saw one of your mods in the pre-reg line.
Yes all of us Austin Modders were there.

Got the screws in. These look way better and cleaner than what I was going to use. Once they came in I dropped what I was doing and had to install them to see how they looked.
IMG_0598.jpg

IMG_0603.jpg

IMG_0605.jpg

Finished the MDF jig for the front and back acrylic. I added tape so it wouldnt scratch the acrylic when bending.
IMG_0607.jpg

IMG_0615.jpg

Bent
IMG_0618.jpg

IMG_0622.jpg

I also finished the brackets and riveted the whole case together.
IMG_0625.jpg

IMG_0627.jpg

IMG_0628.jpg

When this is complete, put this next to a normal G5, just to give perspective. And where are the pic's of the first acrylic? Huh? Yeah the one you messed up, lol. Looking great.

Yea I had to do bend another sheet cuz I messed up one but its not a mistake I`ll use it for the inside when I start making the drive brackets and air duct inside. :D Yea I know its hard to tell the size of it but you should see it in person. Its really small. It barely goes up to my knee. I`ll put it next to a lian li v1000 to show you how small it is.

Here are the pics of it next to the v1000. When you consider the handles it is way smaller. The handles do add some height to it.
IMG_0631.jpg

IMG_0635.jpg

IMG_0638.jpg

sweet mod, I'm liking the way you kept the handles.

And that is one secksi window on the lian li!

Have you considered getting rid of the bottom handles (feet)? That would make the size difference even more pronounced.

TotalEclipse said:
Have you considered getting rid of the bottom handles (feet)? That would make the size difference even more pronounced.
As well as completely ruin this mod. It's supposed to look like a G5, remember?

Also without the handles my air duct system wouldn't work. I'm gonna have a fan on the bottom of the case suck air in and go through this air duct system to the rad and then expell the hot air out the top. Without the handles the case would sit on the floor and the fan wouldn't work.

Back