Post a screenshot of your linux!

Uhm, if those are JPEG artifacts, all well and good, but, if those are video card artifacts, then it's serious if you get any at all. Artifacts are always a sign the card is being pushed too hard and it will tear up if it's making them. Even a Radeon 9600 will tear up from that EVENTUALLY, though admitedly that's one card that can take them for a long time without ill effects.

The reason I'm making sure of this is because of that little dot in there.

BTW, Ion Silverbolt, neat picture. I normally don't like that type, but that one is pretty cool.

It's a hardware artifact, yes. The card is an old (6+years?) Glint300sx monster (full-length PCI :D ) with lots and lots of ram chips that I guess were leading or bleeding edge when it was new. One of them is probably acting up a bit. (I really doubt there exists any software to overclock this particular card. )

Hrm. These days, people have used bios flashes to modify clock speeds (usually because they have flashed to a higher version card and their current can't handle such high speeds.) Anyway, I guess an older PCI card might be able to take some abuse. I'll bet you are right that it's memory though. I was thinking you had a modern card. These days they are a bit more sensitive and something like that can do permanent damage in the long run.

BTW, I've seen a few with too many chips like that. My V2 1000 PCI (which I still can't seem to get rid of) probably has more silicon on it than whatever that stuff is that makes up the PCB.

Anyway, I do wonder, what's with the background? It looks like it was a 20x20 or so image resized up to a full desktop. d-:

How did you guys get those pretty colors?

linuxphoto.gif

Lol. Hey though, use the 2.6 kernel with framebuffer mode and you can get some nice text mode stuff. ^_^

As usual I changed everything after a couple of months... heh. Here is my new desktop.

Gentoo / Linux 2.6.8 - Xfce 4.0.6
Running XMMS and Eterm in the active desktop with a desktop right-click menu open.

gentoo.xfce4-2.png

Nazo said:
Hrm. These days, people have used bios flashes to modify clock speeds (usually because they have flashed to a higher version card and their current can't handle such high speeds.) Anyway, I guess an older PCI card might be able to take some abuse. I'll bet you are right that it's memory though. I was thinking you had a modern card. These days they are a bit more sensitive and something like that can do permanent damage in the long run.

BTW, I've seen a few with too many chips like that. My V2 1000 PCI (which I still can't seem to get rid of) probably has more silicon on it than whatever that stuff is that makes up the PCB.

Anyway, I do wonder, what's with the background? It looks like it was a 20x20 or so image resized up to a full desktop. d-:

Well, if you study the dmesg in the xterm, it's not exactly a new computer either. :D
(If my radeon started doing this I'd be much more nervous.)

The background ... is supposed to look like that, I think.
Getting a new one is somewhere far below "getting everything up" when compiling/installing new systems. (Not too many recent packages exist for FreeBSD/alpha, so it's mostly compiles.). I'll get back to this thread when I've had time to polish everything. :)

Heres my new desktop, I decided to switch to gnome. Love it so far..
new12.jpg

xveganx said:
why hasnt this thing gotten a sticky yet?
Cause desktops will change all the time. Also, even if it was sticky some dolt would come along and start a new thread for the exact same thing every few weeks anyway.

[H]EMI_426 said:
Cause desktops will change all the time. Also, even if it was sticky some dolt would come along and start a new thread for the exact same thing every few weeks anyway.

Very true, but this one is promising....

Kind of like show your worstation in case modding but theres show your rig and there almost the same... but I feel this is a quite promising thread too.

How about we show our linux box and desktop (try something new)???

I love most of the backgrounds! We should make an amendment to post the location of the background...if available.

Based off of debian, this distro looks promising...Santa Fe has good hardware detection and lots of cool open source apps allready installed (firefox, thunderbird and lots more). Plus you get the added debian benefit of built in APT and Synaptic for package management. It seems to only work off of live cd for now, but it's still in the Release Candidate stage...

sflinux.jpg

Those are desklets for the gDesklets program. Those icons you see are the Starter Bar desklets. Really cool and they animate too...

Thanks!!!

ok, I have never been able to get gdesklets working, so ill just stick the the menu for now.

I thought they look familiar.

I think I just downloaded all of them and put them in the default folder for icons in Fedora.

linux.jpg

Brand new fresh install of linux, I just installed it a few minutes ago, finally got my internet working

I will post my desktop as soon as I install Mandrake 10 on my Dell 9100. Never really have used Linux that much so I am installing it on my laptop so that I can learn it.

Back