Post your Phenom II and Sempron unlock or failed unlock results here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gigabyte Users: I tried several combinations and the key combination seems to be having Hybrid mode as well as Auto turned on. This unlocked my Phenom II X2 550 from 2 cores to 4 :) My Mobo is the MA790XT UD4P, anyone else using this motherboard just as a reference I was able to oc my X2 turned X4 up to 3.9ghz (213x18.5) on air cooling alone, I used the stock AMD cooler with 3 case fans and a PCI fan aimed right at the processor area.

Amazing experience getting all this to work, now if only my damn audio input would work (check AMD mobos for my issue if you can help!!)

Add 1 to the X2 Unlock success :)

Is it just me or are the PII 720's starting to look like a horrible choice for people with high hopes? I shoulda gotten a PII 550 :(

Is it just me or are the PII 720's starting to look like a horrible choice for people with high hopes? I shoulda gotten a PII 550 :(

Well, for the $150 I paid for my 720 it was a solid pick. Even with only 3 cores. I use it in my work computer, which I run Virtual Machines, Creative Suite 4 and FPS gaming. (Left 4 Dead, UT3, Far Cry 2) The machine excels in everything I throw at it and is completely stable, and much faster than my older Athlon X2 5600+.

It would be nice if the 4th core unlocked, but even with just 3, this chip was a very solid pick for the money. Buying a P2 X2 and hoping to unlock to X4 seems too risky to me. Especially for a work computer like mine, where 100% stability is crucial.

Well, for the $150 I paid for my 720 it was a solid pick. Even with only 3 cores. I use it in my work computer, which I run Virtual Machines, Creative Suite 4 and FPS gaming. (Left 4 Dead, UT3, Far Cry 2) The machine excels in everything I throw at it and is completely stable, and much faster than my older Athlon X2 5600+.

It would be nice if the 4th core unlocked, but even with just 3, this chip was a very solid pick for the money. Buying a P2 X2 and hoping to unlock to X4 seems too risky to me. Especially for a work computer like mine, where 100% stability is crucial.

I have seen first hand 11/11 x2's unlocked to X4 with significant OC'ing (varying from 3.6-4.0) on standard air cooling so I think that while sure every once in a while there will be an x2 that wont unlock, the high majority of them do so long as you have a capable mobo with the proper bios version... for me I had to update my bios to f4g in order to be able to unlock but my friends x3 would not unlock even though his mobo was the same.

I would say if your planning on purchasing a processor knowing that you want to unlock to x4 the x2 is a great buy, just be smart with your mobo choice.

Unlocked X3 720 easily.

Mobo is Gigabyte MA-790X-UD4P.

They got a bios update this month I think, or at least the newest bios was updated this month, around beginning June. Bios F5a. Worked flawlessly.

I enabled ACC "Auto", did nothing upon reboot. Enabling ACC along with changing "Auto" to "Hybrid", made a message appear to change the.. firmware? I think .. and I said yes, it updated, and then computer shut down and restarted. When it came back up, I have four cores :).

I ran P95 for around 30 mins on 2.8 ghz, and for another 30 mins on 3.0 ghz (I know, not very long), but I've been heavily gaming/leaving comp on for long times and it works flawlessly @ 2.8ghz and @ 3.0 ghz. I currently have it on 3.0 ghz with stock cooling. Will try for 3.4-3.6 ghz when I get a new HSF. From what it looks like, I'll probably be able to do 3.4 ghz max. Which won't be bad at all, because I think I'd only be able to do 3.5-3.6 with three cores.

No temperature changes what so ever. Core temps have been disabled however.

x420.png

Hey guys, Just got Mobo last night. Picked up CPU first day Indy Frys had them in stock. Unlocked !!!

AMDUnlockedX2550.jpg

Phenom 550 @ 3.3 Air so far :D # 0921FPMW
Gigabyte MA 790X-UD4P Bios F5a (Thanks HondaGuy )
sorry for small pic !!!

Thanks AMD and Gigabyte for the Quad :cool:

I'll be damned, I gave my system one last crack at unlocking using the beta R7GD225A bios and soab I now own a Phenom II x4 :D

I'm going to make my work for this thread a little harder and start listing the boards/bios that are known to unlock so everyone bear with me over the next week while I hunt this info down and update accordingly :)

just for the heck of it i think i'm going to try my luck with an x3 seeing its only $20 more and if it fails i still have at least 3 cores.

the X2 550BE's cost $100
the x3 720BE's cost $120

how recent have these "unlocked" CPU's been purchased?

Unlocked Phenom II X3 720 @ 4 cores now, MOBO = GA-MA790X-UD4P, BIOS = F5.

Everything runs stable 4 cores @ 3.0 ghz, however, @ 3.2 I get system lockdown after 30 minutes, I'm using stock cooler and default voltage. Do you think I should increase voltage for more stability ? Or get a better cooler ?

Btw, CPU + MOBO were bought last week from newegg.

Last edited:
Unlocked Phenom II X3 720 @ 4 cores now, MOBO = GA-MA790X-UD4P, BIOS = F5.

Everything runs stable 4 cores @ 3.0 ghz, however, @ 3.2 I get system lockdown after 30 minutes, I'm using stock cooler and default voltage. Do you think I should increase voltage for more stability ? Or get a better cooler ?

Btw, CPU + MOBO were bought last week from newegg.

I'm wondering this too. I'm at 3.0 ghz as well, and thinking about a new cooler but not sure yet if it will help. I hope I can at least go to 3.4 ghz!

I've gotten my board to post and boot windows with my AMD 710 on the Biostar 790GX board. My problem is that once in Windows, there are some graphic artifacts on the screen, and the performance is questionable. I'm wondering if I should bother trying anything else since it boots fine?

Anyone try the GIGABYTE GA-MA770-UD3?
Just ordered myself an Phenom II X3 720
Now, I'm not an expert but i think that motherboard does not support unlocking. I think only these bridges support unlock:

AMD 790X
AMD SB750

I'd wait before purchasing for confirmation of my statement.

From my understanding any mobo with an SB710 or SB750 south bridge has a chance.

Hi,

I have a Biostar TA790GX 128 and was interested in a Phenom II X2 550 BE. However, think I need to update to the newest BIOS before it can use the X2 550 (2009-06-03 - 78DBA525.BST). Problem is, I did some searching online and found some information that the newest bios adds something called "Core Leveling", which locks the CPU to Single or Duel Core mode. Which seems to be a work around to disable ACC. However, in another forum someone posted you are able to set Core Leveling to "All Cores" the set ACC to "Auto"? Please can someone with a board and the new BIOS advise.

i'm not worried if it doesn't unlock but thought I'd try it once I received it.

So either way I'll be happy with my recent upgrades.

I liked those odds enough to place a bet at Newegg. :D

Bought my 550BE 2 days ago...Newegg rocks.

Here's my 720BE which is up for grabs in the FS/FT forums:

And here is the first test I have done since I installed the 550BE about 20 minutes ago:

Specs in my sig are current, with the exception of now using a 550BE for testing, rest is the same, even the bios.

Nope, can't do it. Tried many ways many a times. A bit suprising because I have an otherwise rocking CPU that goes to 3.5Ghz with only +0.025V, and it is a 0904 epmw CACZC known to be from a good batch. Plus my AM3 board is supposed to unlock well I think.

I use latest F4G Bios, set optimised defaults, activate "hybrid mode" EC firmware, reboot, add +0.05V, activate ACC to auto, reboot, board posts fine then hangs on the first boot into widows screen. It also wont load ubuntu live CD or boot into installed ubuntu.

I've tried different combos of per core ACC and overvolting NB, SB, CPU and IMC. Any suggestions very welcome.

CPU: X3 720 BE, 0904 epmw CACZC, stock air cooling
Board: Gigabyte MA790XT-UD4P, Bios F4G
RAM: DDR3 OCZ3P16004GK
VGA: ASUS 4870 BK 512MB
PSU: Corsair 650W

Think I lucked here out here with my x3 720 @ 4 cores, took three tries though.
Motherboard: TA790GX 128M | Bios: Using Bios that came with it, which is 080014 - 2009-01-13
1st CPU: Would not unlock to 4 cores, kept getting blue screens. RMA'ed
2nd CPU: Never tried to unlock, as it looked factory damaged. RMA'ed
3rd CPU: Did clean install of Vista x32 Ultimate, fully updated and installed all hardware drivers, then restarted into BIOS.
Turned off Cool and Quite, boosted CPU Voltage from stock to +0.50v and set ACC to AUTO.
Saved settings and exited, then system was able to boot into Windows with zero issues.
Got pop-up message that there was a new CPU and was told to restart, restarted and WORKING.

Now what? Boost voltage more and try to overclock or keep current +0.50 voltage and try to overclock?
On a site note, can Cool and Quite be enabled when unlocking cores? Or better to leave it disabled?

(Posted this message on unlocked x3 720 system and no blue screens at all. In Windows over twenty-five minutes now)
75112468.jpg
26902031.jpg

Last edited:
Think I lucked here out here with my x3 720 @ 4 cores, took three tries though.
1st CPU: Would not unlock to 4 cores, kept getting blue screens. RMA'ed
2nd CPU: Never tried to unlock, as it looked factory damaged. RMA'ed
3rd CPU: Did clean install of Vista x32 Ultimate, fully updated and installed all hardware drivers, then restarted into BIOS.
Turned off Cool and Quite, boosted CPU Voltage from stock to +0.50v and set ACC to AUTO.
Saved settings and exited, then system was able to boot into Windows with zero issues.
Got pop-up message that there was a new CPU and was told to restart, restarted and WORKING.

Now what? Boost voltage more and try to overclock or keep current +0.50 voltage and try to overclock?
On a site note, can Cool and Quite be enabled when unlocking cores? Or better to leave it disabled?

(Posted this message on unlocked x3 720 system and no blue screens at all. In Windows over twenty-five minutes now)

Seeing as you got it to boot properly but have intentions to OC I'd say as long as you're not using the stock HSF, keep the .05v boost and try to OC as 1.36 - 1.4v is perfectly safe for these CPU's and should yield nice results.

As far as CnQ is concerned, you prob won't be able to use CnQ as it will try to use the reduced vcore of the X3 configuration which prob won't hack it with a quad-core. I know I tried to enable mine after unlocking my 4th core and my PC wouldn't boot at all. There is however software that can do this I believe but don't remember the name off the top of my head.

Seeing as you got it to boot properly but have intentions to OC I'd say as long as you're not using the stock HSF, keep the .05v boost and try to OC as 1.36 - 1.4v is perfectly safe for these CPU's and should yield nice results.

As far as CnQ is concerned, you prob won't be able to use CnQ as it will try to use the reduced vcore of the X3 configuration which prob won't hack it with a quad-core. I know I tried to enable mine after unlocking my 4th core and my PC wouldn't boot at all. There is however software that can do this I believe but don't remember the name off the top of my head.

I'm using the Dark-Knight cooler. With 4 cores @ 2.8Ghz with 1.360v, BIOS reads CPU temp at 22c.
Anyway, you are saying go from 1.360v to 1.340v and try to overclock?
If so, what multiplier is recommended?

Also, what is the HT Link? Like in post #61, he has it at 2400.1Mhz.
Mine is currently at 1600.1Mhz. His BUS speed is also 40Mhz above mine.
Do both those need to be increased when overclocking as well?

Last edited:
Hi guys just found out about this 4th core yesterday . found this topic followed the instructions and i now have the 4th core w00t :) i overclocked the cpu to 3ghz but windows would not boot keeped restarting . i can have her run at 2.9ghz stable on standard cooler playing games etc runs fine not touching any voltages etc.

also included a pic of cpuz details for my system ive up the vcore voltage by 0.50v in the bios and turned c&q off . so its now running at 1.376v vcore with standard cpu cooler running at full speed all the time is this going to cause me problems this cooler ? cpu temp is around 40c also ive noticed now that if i restart my pc it reboots to windows loading screen crashes and pc reboots again then it loads in to windows ok second time round ? so any sugestions/info are welcome
my system below

Gigabyte GAMA790xt ud4p F4G AM3 Motherboard
AMD PhenomII x3 720 2.8ghz Processor-----now a x4 running at 2.8ghz
Silverstone Strider 600w Power Supply
CORSAIR 4 GB XMS3 DDR3 1600mhz------running @ 1066mhz ?????
2 x ATI Radion x1650 pro 512MB
Windows Vista Ultimate SP2 x64

pics below

EDIT: just had a bsod with the vcore up by 0.5v so now back to normal vcore voltage see how it goes :)

Last edited:
My X3 720 unlocked to 4 cores and made it up to 3.2Ghz at 1.392v.
An X4 955 ($245) for the price of an X3 720 (Paid $110) :cool:

Not sure if I'm using too much voltage, but I think I might try and push to 3.4Ghz now.
So in the end, think I might need to add more voltage anyway.
And as you might be able to tell, I am new to overclocking. :p

Hmmm, I'm just curious; my friend might trying unlocking his 550 BE, but he only has the stock HSF.
Would you guys be against unlocking his 4th core because of this? He won't be overclocking it that much, he's just unlocking.

classic FAIL

Classic Ass. :D

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looks like I max out at 3.5Ghz with 4 Cores fully stable using Prime95/IntelBurnTest.
3.6Ghz/3.7Ghz not stable.
AMD suggests max voltage is 1.425v (AMD 720 Specs)

At 1.424v, I have fully stable quad core at 3.3Ghz.
At 1.440v, I have fully stable quad core at 3.4Ghz.
At 1.488v, I have fully stable quad core at 3.5Ghz.

Out of the above three options, which would be the best bet?

For some reason my Biostar TA790GX 128M won't let me go over 1.488v.
If I could, I should be able to get 3.6Ghz, which is what I wanted, but not safe I don't think.

Last edited:
Alright guys...I have tried everything I can think of...:(

550 BE
Gigabyte MA770T-UD3P (updated to F2C bios)

I upped my vcore by 0.15%
turned off CnQ
Played with various different options

It won't boot at all when I use Hybrid & All settings...

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Biostar 790GX 128M (Jan 2009 BIOS)
X2 550 BE 0915 FPMW

Damn, that is really good. Is it stable with Prime95/IntelBurnTest?
So based on your images, it is better to boost Bus Speed, HT Link, and voltage?
Rather then just multiplier and voltage (which is what I was doing as see below)?

X3 720 BE - 200 Bus Speed and 1600 HT Link with XX.X multiplier
At 1.424v, I have fully stable quad core at 3.3Ghz.
At 1.440v, I have fully stable quad core at 3.4Ghz.
At 1.488v, I have fully stable quad core at 3.5Ghz.

At default it was stable 1 hour OCCT. I didn't do the test longer as I didn't have time for it, I just set it up on the table and as soon as my wife got home she TOLD me to take it off the table. Which I happily obliged ;).

I tried several time to do OCCT at 3.7 but failed within the first minute. Will try again tomorrow. I didn't touch the multiplier, maybe that's why it failed.

550 BE
Gigabyte MA770T-UD3P (updated to F2C bios)

I upped my vcore by 0.15%
turned off CnQ
Played with various different options

It won't boot at all when I use Hybrid & All settings...

Any suggestions?

I also tried turning going down to -12% using ACC on all 4 cores.
If I am NOT in Hybrid...then the BIOS comes up, but Vista64 crashes...I tried using Ubuntu...but it throws errors as well (too fast for me to write them down actually)
If I turn on Hybrid mode, then my PC won't even boot into BIOS & I have to reset CMOS using a jumper.

Are there any other settings to mess with? Or am I stuck with my 2 cores?

I won't RMA, I feel that's dishonest. I took my chances...so far it hasn't worked.

Also...I have a S/N for my CPU...can I find out my batch & stepping with just this info? I have my CPU installed under a Scythe Mugen 2 fan and heatsink...so removing that to find out my batch would be a BEAST.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back