Post your Phenom II and Sempron unlock or failed unlock results here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just finished swapping boards on a spare rig, ms2 deluxe and 4x mem sticks.A biostar ta790gx 128 and a X2 550 BE went smooth. I set everything to auto, even with CnQ enabled. It booted into winxp 64, lol albeit with 100 driver warnings, and voila task manager shows 4 cores. I'll finish buttoning this one up and put on vista of win7.

Ahem, X2 550 is a sure fire winner. :D

Added some screens. I'm using CnQ on this setup with stock voltage, as its a file server. I need better ram...

amdod.jpg

cpuz.jpg

Last edited:
Hey guys, Just got Mobo last night. Picked up CPU first day Indy Frys had them in stock. Unlocked !!!

AMDUnlockedX2550.jpg

Phenom 550 @ 3.3 Air so far :D # 0921FPMW
Gigabyte MA 790X-UD4P Bios F5a (Thanks HondaGuy )
sorry for small pic !!!

Thanks AMD and Gigabyte for the Quad :cool:

That's good news, from Newegg I just got:

HDZ550WFK2DGI

CACYC AC 0921FPMW

Hope yours does well :) Got mine to 4.0 but not fully stable and have only tested in 3dmark 05 and 06, will try prime when I hook up water to it :D What Mobo are you going to be using ?

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=594273

I'll use asus M4A78T-E, it's hard to believe that memory can keep up with this processor.

What do the letters before the stepping mean? Yours is exactly the same? CACYC AC 0921FPMW

So how do I even go about trying to unlock the 4th core?

The survey says:

I got my Gigabyte GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P board to unlock the AMD X3 720BE 4th core (batch 0904)! It had the F1 bios (the original bios) but wouldn't unlock the 4th core. When I updated the bios to the F2C (latest bios) there was a new feature involve with the ACC. I change the ACC to hybrid mode and auto and the 4th core just simply unlock without any trouble!

With the 1st bios the south bridge would report as SB700. With the latest bios it report as SB750 even though it is really a SB710 but whatever. It WORKS!

Forgot to send the other screenshots to my other PC but I have OC it to 3.8GHz at 1.4V stable. At 3.9GHz it doesn't boot into windows. I guess I need to up the volts even more. I'll give it another go tomorrow.

P.S. I wonder why my unlock quad's code name is Heka (X3 705e code name) while everyone else is still Deneb?

Hmm he's actually got a different model then me.

Mines : GA-MA770-UD3
His : GA-MA770T-UD3P

Hmm he's actually got a different model then me.

Mines : GA-MA770-UD3
His : GA-MA770T-UD3P

If you have rev 1 of your board:
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/BIOS_Model.aspx?ProductID=3097#anchor_os

If your have rev 2:
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/BIOS_Model.aspx?ProductID=2982#anchor_os

To figure out which revision is yours just look around the left border line of your motherboard near the last PCI slot.

~Edit~

Strange. I just check the specifications and rev 1 has the south bridge 710 which supports ACC. However the rev 2 has the south bridge 700 which does not support ACC. Hope you have rev 1 then. Because if your have rev 2 your out of luck.

Will check that once I get home :)
Thanks for the help by the way.

Hopefully I can but if not I'm pretty pleased with it so far.

Damn... trying to decide which mATX board I should go with my X2 550BE.

~Edit~

Strange. I just check the specifications and rev 1 has the south bridge 710 which supports ACC. However the rev 2 has the south bridge 700 which does not support ACC. Hope you have rev 1 then. Because if your have rev 2 your out of luck.

Don't you have this backwards?

GA-MA770-UD3 (rev. 1.0)
AMD 770 + SB700 Chipset

GA-MA770-UD3 (rev. 2.0)
AMD 770 + SB710 Chipset

That's what I get on that website. Plus the Rev 2 is the one that supports Phenom II & DDR2 1333+, wouldn't that be the one people are getting now? I ask because I just ordered a x3 720 and 770-UD3 and I'm under the assumption I'm getting a Phenom II support board, not Phenom/Athlon.

I haven't taken the time to see if mine is Rev 1 or 2....

But either way I'm running my phenom II x3 720 be now.
Overclocked at 3.57ghz and 24/7 stable for 4 days now.

I'll get unlazy at some point and see what Rev mine is.

So far so good with my X3 720BE on a Gigabyte GA-MA780XT-UD4P, BIOS version F4G. 4th core unlocked without any issue at stock voltage and is stable after an overnight prime95 test. Haven't tried any OC yet, will get around to that later on today hopefully.

Last edited:
I haven't taken the time to see if mine is Rev 1 or 2....

But either way I'm running my phenom II x3 720 be now.
Overclocked at 3.57ghz and 24/7 stable for 4 days now.

I'll get unlazy at some point and see what Rev mine is.

Doesn't really matter unless you want to unlock the 4th core.

Hmm, I dunno about the older SB750 boards. I purchased Memnoch's 720BE and tried unlocking it on my M3A79-T Deluxe board. My Google-Fu showed up results that only the 0803 BIOS allowed unlocking Phenoms. So I promptly downloaded and flashed that BIOS.
It went well. I've tried two combinations at the ACC settings; Auto, and 0, 0, 0, +2
These two settings allowed the motherboard to recognize the Phenom as a X4.

Everything goes well until it runs Prime95; Windows completely freezes and I'm forced to hold down the power button to completely shut down my PC. Sometimes the PC freezes even just idling at desktop.
Upon booting my PC back up, the processor is then recognized as an "AMD Engineering Sample" which is clocked at 1.8ghz, and sometimes the BIOS has an alert stating "CPU Overvoltage Error" or something, which is strange because I've been working with stock voltage ever since I've dropped the CPU in.

Restarting again, the CPU is then recognized as a Phenom X3, then, after a couple of restarts it's then a X4. Then an Engineering Sample. The loops goes on.

I have Cool 'n Quiet off, and I'm wondering if it could be fixed with upped voltage; however I'm a bit wary since I'm using the stock cooler.
Could it be the heat?

Or maybe the CPU Memnoch sold to me turned bi-polar during the shipping trip X.x

you probably just need to up the voltage a notch. it wont have a huge effect on your temperatures if you dont push it, dont worry. just keep an eye on it while you run prime.

Here is where I ended up, fully stable.
A X4 965 for an X3 720 that cost me $110.

Seems the BioStar TA790GX 128M can't go above 1600 HT Link.
Their support said something about the motherboard being single power plane.
Sucks, but nothing to complain about after getting a 600Mhz overclock and a free core.

Note: I could get 4 Cores to 3.5Ghz, but would cost 1.488v on CPU.
But that does not seem worth it when I can get 3.4Ghz for 1.440v on CPU.

70511444.jpg

you probably just need to up the voltage a notch. it wont have a huge effect on your temperatures if you dont push it, dont worry. just keep an eye on it while you run prime.

Yep, I upped the voltage a bit, still freezes in Prime95.
Damn, probably is the board unless someone else has another suggestion :( It posts, and gets to desktop okay; I'm typing as we speak with the X3 which is now a X4. But running Prime95 is a different story...

You might just have to wait and see if Asus releases a bios with the official "unleashed" mode. YOu could always try to e-mail Asus and see if they have a beta with unleashed mode.

Yep, I upped the voltage a bit, still freezes in Prime95.
Damn, probably is the board unless someone else has another suggestion :( It posts, and gets to desktop okay; I'm typing as we speak with the X3 which is now a X4. But running Prime95 is a different story...

Perhaps this means the core is defective, no?

You might just have to wait and see if Asus releases a bios with the official "unleashed" mode. YOu could always try to e-mail Asus and see if they have a beta with unleashed mode.

Hmmm, I'll do that right now. I figured I can keep the computer running if I just don't stress the CPU with Prime95. It takes a good hour or maybe more before the PC freezes up (sometimes it doesn't at all), but three minutes, give or take, into Prime95 will make it freeze.

I'm going to send an e-mail to Asus and hopefully I'll get a reply later this week. When I do, I'll keep you guys updated! I'll keep trying to mess with the BIOS in the mean time. Thanks for everyone's suggestions!

- Edit
And it can't be the core, Joecuddles. Because this is the exact CPU Memnoch was testing earlier in the thread and it worked very well for him.

- Edit
Contacted ASUS through LiveChat (Instant Messaging) and by phone. Can't really find a straightforward e-mail address.
The people said they have no idea when they will implement the "Unleashed" option in the M3A79-T BIOS or if they ever will. All they said they could do is leave a feedback notice stating that people are wanting it.
M3A79-T abandoned for its bigger brother, the M4A79? Probably...(Damnit.) Guess all I can do is wait.

On the side note, the computer hasn't freezed up since the last time I edited this post, and I've been playing L4D, TF2, Crysis, CSS, and CoD4/5 so far trying to stress the CPU; it's been going smoothly. Is it possible for a CPU to be stable during games and other applications but not appear to be stable during Prime95?

- Edit
Sorry for all the edits :/ But I spoke to early. Windows froze up on me again. Whatever, I'm just going to overclock the shet out of this processor (modestly...since I only have the stock HSF) and wait and see if ASUS will decide to release the Unleashed setting for the M3A79-T's.

Last edited:
I just purchases the phenom II 550 and GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P =] now im curious is this the instructions on how to get it unlocked?
BEFORE YOU SET ACC ( Advanced Clock Calibration ) TO AUTO AND TRY TO UNLOCK YOUR CPU DO THE FOLLOWING:
#1. Turn off Cool N Quiet
#2. Boost your vcore by .05v
#3. Do not touch your CPU's multiplier or try to OC/tweak your system in any way, shape, form or fashion
#4. Be prepared to lose the ability to monitor your CPU temps per core as in most cases this happens when a CPU is unlocked
#5. Be prepared for the reality that you are not guaranteed an unlockable CPU no matter what motherboard, bios or CPU stepping you have

im planning to flash the bios to F5a since its a newer firmware than the F5 when i get the chip and mobo =] lets hope things go well for me

Don't you have this backwards?

GA-MA770-UD3 (rev. 1.0)
AMD 770 + SB700 Chipset

GA-MA770-UD3 (rev. 2.0)
AMD 770 + SB710 Chipset

That's what I get on that website. Plus the Rev 2 is the one that supports Phenom II & DDR2 1333+, wouldn't that be the one people are getting now? I ask because I just ordered a x3 720 and 770-UD3 and I'm under the assumption I'm getting a Phenom II support board, not Phenom/Athlon.

Whoops. Your right I read them backwards lol. Thanks for the clearing that up ;)

Lol I'm sorry about my writing yea during my highschool years only the first two years I had an English teacher and the other two years I had subs

unlock succeed!
0922 APMW ordered from zipzoomfly

X2 BE 550
GA-MA770T-UD3P (F2c)

Last edited:
I bought two bundles from NCIX.

2x Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P + Phenom II X3 720 BE.
Flash both with Bios: F4g

1 Failed to unlock (it would unlock but jam up during Windows post which may actually be the RAID array failing and not the CPU)

The second (not using a RAID array) unlocked and is running at 3.7GHz with all 4 cores. I used the Hybrid/Auto features in the BIOS under the ACC settings.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v51/ElMoIsEviL/IMG00041-20090709-0757.jpg

oh man my chip came in as 0924BPMW hopefully it will unlock im praying that it will

Post your results and what motherboard you are using. I recieved mine today with the same stepping but it will be a day or two before I can get it running.

3725Mhz unlocked X4 B50 100X Linx passed

What are the last four numbers of serial. I have a 550 0922 APMW that unlocks but I haven't been able to get 4 core stable. The best I can do is 3 core stable. My last four are 0136 for comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back