Post your Phenom II and Sempron unlock or failed unlock results here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
0922APMW here

Biostar TA790GX 128M / Rebels Haven MOD Jan 09 Bios (for HT stuck at 1600)
X4 [email protected]
1.36vcore
1.28v NB (2400)
1.2v HT (2000)

temps limiting my oc, but hey, $100 for X4 955 performance ;)

6913v.jpg

beating my brother's Q9550 clock for clock on cinebench r10 :D

5503600cinebenchforum.jpg

i'll keep it for my 24/7 rig

thx
flo

If anyone wants to trade their SB710/750 for my SB100 board so I can get my 4th core feel free to send it my way.

Looks like newegg drop their prices today.

AMD AM3 List

The X2 550BE is $99 + free shipping and the X3 720BE is $119 + free shipping.

Getting harder to resist the X2 550BE.

0922APMW here

Biostar TA790GX 128M / Rebels Haven MOD Jan 09 Bios (for HT stuck at 1600)
X4 [email protected]
1.36vcore
1.28v NB (2400)
1.2v HT (2000)

temps limiting my oc, but hey, $100 for X4 955 performance ;)

I installed that BIOS too. Does your system not post if you try to restart from windows with over 1600 HT? Anyway, ,I set NB FID to 2000mhz, then after reboot HT Link Speed to 2.0Ghz, but didn't see my any change in CPU Clock, I thought boosting those added more Ghz to the CPU? I mean doesn't it mean you need less voltage on the CPU for the same overlclock? Is there anyother voltage I need to increase other then the NB Fid and HT Link speed?

I installed that BIOS too. Does your system not post if you try to restart from windows with over 1600 HT? Anyway, ,I set NB FID to 2000mhz, then after reboot HT Link Speed to 2.0Ghz, but didn't see my any change in CPU Clock, I thought boosting those added more Ghz to the CPU? I mean doesn't it mean you need less voltage on the CPU for the same overlclock? Is there anyother voltage I need to increase other then the NB Fid and HT Link speed?

The HT link is the speed components communicate across the motherboard. CPU-NB/NB (not 790 chipset) is the speed your L3 cache runs which connects to the ram and cpu (imc)

yes, i had to turn off computer from windows, but already warn from its wbsite if im not mistaken :)

NB and HT are nothing to do with cpu speed/clock and just play with vcore if you want to add stability after you change cpu speed

flo

yes, i had to turn off computer from windows, but already warn from its wbsite if im not mistaken :)

NB and HT are nothing to do with cpu speed/clock and just play with vcore if you want to add stability after you change cpu speed

flo

I am using the same motherboard as you as well, just with an X3 720.
So what is the point of using the mod bios if NB and HT doesn't increase cpu clock?
When you say vcore, do you mean the Core VID voltage under CPU FID/VID Control?
I have gotten then hang of overclocking using multiplier and cpu voltage, but not sure how the NB/HT and other voltages work and what they do.

I am using the same motherboard as you as well, just with an X3 720.
So what is the point of using the mod bios if NB and HT doesn't increase cpu clock?
When you say vcore, do you mean the Core VID voltage under CPU FID/VID Control?
I have gotten then hang of overclocking using multiplier and cpu voltage, but not sure how the NB/HT and other voltages work and what they do.

This mod bios is for TA790GX type if HT stuck at 1600 when using Phenom II. this bios will not increase overclockability or any related performance.

Im using PHII X2 550, no matter how much value i set my HT in bios its still reads 1600, thats why im using it and working perfectly.

Yes, if you enable Custom P States you'll see your multi/coreFID (x14 2800Mhz), core DID/devider (not important), coreVID (your cpu vcore) and your nbclock/nbVID,.. i usualy leave it default except for multi and nbclock (these i modified to oc my cpu and nb)

thus for adjusting voltages i go to Voltage Configuration (under CPU FID/VID Control).
this u find cpu overvoltage (+0.005 increment), memory overvoltage, chipset overvoltage and HT overvoltage.

honestly, its been only a week since i tried AMD, im an intel fanboy since MMX 233 :p, but overclocking it has been really fun for me.

your 720 has x14 multi and 200 bus/ht reference clock, that is 2.8Ghz, if say u want to get to 3.2Ghz, u can up your multi to x16 and adjust your vcore.. why would you concern about NB and HT to increase cpu clock? :), ..you will be until you overclocking with bus speed or u wanted manually set your nb/ht clock

i'm still noob with this AMD, please, experts, correct me if im wrong :)

thx
flo

Amd II 550 0924BPMW sucessfully unlocked x4 core using
GA-MA790X-UD4P firmware F5.

Story. Mobo came with F5 firmware gave me blank screen. i put in my Amd X2 5400+ in it worked fine re flashed it with F5 Firmware using @bios

2 cores but i turned on ACC AUTO boost the vcore +.100 didnt work so i changed it to HYBRID also and it worked

current voltage shows 1.8 is that good for x4

I got my X3 720BE Intelburntest (15 runs) stable at 3.6GHz @ 1.45V.

Trying to get it stable at 3.8GHz but it seems it will need more than 1.5V.

My memory seems to be causing a bit of problems (Patriot DDR-1600 7-7-7-20 1.9V). I guess it is because I'm running 4x2GB sticks. Have to clock them at DDR-1333 or else the system won't run stable in Intelburntest or Prime95.

Last edited:
Amd II 550 0924BPMW sucessfully unlocked x4 core using
GA-MA790X-UD4P firmware F5.

Story. Mobo came with F5 firmware gave me blank screen. i put in my Amd X2 5400+ in it worked fine re flashed it with F5 Firmware using @bios

2 cores but i turned on ACC AUTO boost the vcore +.100 didnt work so i changed it to HYBRID also and it worked

current voltage shows 1.8 is that good for x4

Same set up and resul here for the unlock! I set my voltage to +.05 and in Everest it shows 1.39v.

yea my current verison is 1.5 lol once i saw it worked i put the mobother board back in my antec 1200 and put my computer back into its box lol and using my current computer until i move thats when i open up my samsung 23'' that i recently got to go with that computer 0.0 man cant wait

Seems like I'm hitting a wall at 3.6 on my 550. I've bumped the vcore .5 and got to that with just changing the multiplier but after that even if I bump the voltage more I can't get it stable. Should I change any other settings along with the vcore? Running a Gigabyte GA-790X-UDP4. Was hoping to hit closer to 4 gig and my temp only hits 42 during Prime. I guess I can't complain if I have a $100 3.6 quad core.

Hey guys, Just got Mobo last night. Picked up CPU first day Indy Frys had them in stock. Unlocked !!!

AMDUnlockedX2550.jpg

Phenom 550 @ 3.3 Air so far :D # 0921FPMW
Gigabyte MA 790X-UD4P Bios F5a (Thanks HondaGuy )
sorry for small pic !!!

Thanks AMD and Gigabyte for the Quad :cool:

My 0921FPMW did not unlock on the first try, though I didn't try more than a couple of times. . . too much fiddling with the CMOS reset jumper.

I also have another unexplained hardware failure, so I'm gonna postpone the unlocking.
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1434497

I'm reading that when the 550BE is unlocked to a quad, the performance gain is negligible and it also it becomes an energy hog.

Somebody also posted that once unlocked and re-locked to run as a dual-core again, it continues to use more watts. So maybe once the extra cores are "unleashed" they cannot be properly disconnected by the BIOS and continue to draw power??? Has anybody enabled then disabled ACC and taken watt readings?

My stock version 550BE with ASUS M4A78T-E idles using only 64 Watts off the wall, and my P3 Kill-a-Watt I measures about 130 watts with maximum load. . . that's remarkable for such a powerful CPU.

What is the real temperature of the 550BE? There are two -- the one reported by the mobo BIOS (Temp1 in SpeedFan) and the one coming directly from the CPU which is about 8 degrees lower in my case. AMD OverDrive shows the lower one.

99086551.jpg

Ok lol im looking at everyones unlock pictures and all their Core Voltage are around 1.35 0.0 while mines is 1.18 is that normal? should i add more voltage to it? how do i test for stability yea its a noobie question.

1. Do you have your voltage on auto? 1.18v isn't likely to be stable.
2. Download OCCT or Prime95. These programs will stress the cpu and ram for extended periods of time.

guess it's best to just bring the voltage to 1.35 to make to stable cause just right now I tried to so that vista test on my comp it got me an bosd 0.0 and it started to keep restartong when I opened alot of browsers am I the only
one that hate vista x64 I'm about to go back to xp does
any one feel and difference from going x32 to x64?

guess it's best to just bring the voltage to 1.35 to make to stable cause just right now I tried to so that vista test on my comp it got me an bosd 0.0 and it started to keep restartong when I opened alot of browsers am I the only
one that hate vista x64 I'm about to go back to xp does
any one feel and difference from going x32 to x64?

I went from a crappy old system on 32bit XP to a great new system using Windows 7 and I don't notice a difference (other than the obvious)... aside from the fact that my computer is now uber.

You didn't have a vista problem, you just experienced operator error. I booted into windows at 1.05v but i couldn't even watch a youtube video with out a crash lol.

i was just thinking of whether to go back to xp 32bit vs vista 64 lol vista seems to b giving me an headache

Uhh yep it's probably not enough power to CPU but I can't seem to chAnge the core voltage in th mobo i have two options one is CPU voltage and the other CPU nb voltage I tried to hange the CPU voltage to +100 no change I was curious wha does the CPU nb voltage do? Do u think that it's an good idea to try and see if that will change my CPU voltage? I can't seem t get higher than 1.84v i have the gigabyte ma790x-u4dp motherboard acc settings hybrid (only way for me to unlck)and auto My amd cool and quiet is off

Cpu-nb voltage is the voltage for the imc/L3 cache. If you want to overclock your nb you'll have to raise it depending on how far you go. You do have system voltage control on manual correct. Cpu voltage control should allow you to raise the voltage. Maybe a bios bug? Are you running the latest F5 bios?

Thank you Shadow!

ok heres the thing every time i put the system voltage to AUTO which is the system picks the correct Cpu voltage etc my pc loads fine, but once i set to manual and then cpu voltage i put it at +.100 my computer gets bsod 0.0

Update ok i kinda reflashed my bios now i actually could change my cpu voltage and it actually shows in cpu-z and i changed my ecc firmware selection to Hybrid

hmm now i have 1.392V =] quad core processor is that an good voltage to have? will it damage the cpu since it was really ment to be at 1.35?
and by running quad core unlocked does it damage your cpu versus running dual core like it was suppose to?

for every one that unlocked the cores did u decide to go back to dual core?

Last edited:
As long as your temps are fine, 1.392v is fine. It defaults to 1.35 for dual core, but you may need more to be stable with 4 cores. Check for stability and if it passes try to lower the voltage a little until you can no longer pass an hour of occt. Keep notes of your settings so if you have to clear cmos for any reason you can just put them back.

Thanks sigh sad now that i see that the 955 x4 are price dropping due to new cpus next month welcome to the world of tech huh lol

yep true even new egg was nice enough to refund part of my money from my ordering list because their prices dropped within an week well im happy with this build even if the new cpu comes out their old cpu's probably drop 10-20 bucks and ive been happy with my dual core for like 3 years now ill probably leave my current comp in dual core until i start to work on 3d applications. thank you. proabaly use this comp for another 4 years. now maybe time to take an look at blue ray drives =]

1.39v to hit 3.1 Ghz? Do you need to up the voltage a lot with the 4th core or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back