Samsung XL2370

All in reference to the monitor's settings:

Gamma: Mode 3
Brightness: 67-71 (there's a good amount of black crush anyway so it just depends on what is most comfortable for your eyes)
Contrast: 36-38
Red: 50
Green: 48
Blue: 51

I tried doing some calibration with the Nvidia control panel, but it didn't change anything.

Everyone else should post their calibrations as well! I'm not even sure if mine are right; I'm far from a videophile!

Saw the monitor in person today and it's heads and shoulders above it's competitors in this price range. Very even lighting and smooth coloring and quite good whites as well.

LG has an IPS out with an RGB LED backlight but it's about 2k...

What will be nice is when the 2408 and U2410 both come with white LED backlights. We can now say with some certainty given the price difference on these monitors that it "should" only be about $100-150 higher than the CCFL model. That's quite affordable and given the contrast that's already on the CCFL version of the 2408, ought to drive contrast levels to fantastic levels when Samsung gets around to making it. IPS will also get a nice contrast boost, so everyone wins :)

You need to understand that LED backlight generally has nothing to do with picture quality.

Samsung's LED version of 2408 exists and represents nothing better.

You need to understand that LED backlight generally has nothing to do with picture quality.

Samsung's LED version of 2408 exists and represents nothing better.

actually, the "purer" light that comes from LED backlights make the colors appear more vibrant than in a comparable display with CCFL backlights.

actually, the "purer" light that comes from LED backlights make the colors appear more vibrant than in a comparable display with CCFL backlights.

I concur; in comparison to my 2408WFP the XL2370's whites were definitely whiter. The whites on the 2408wfp seemed dingy/yellowish and I never even noticed until it was side by side with the XL2370.

I'm on the fence about getting this LCD. I really like the aesthetics and the LED I'm curious about.

I'm currently on a 20" IPS LCD (Dell 2005) and it's starting to show signs of failure.
I may hold out for another month and hope it goes on sale during the holidays.

If nothing else catches my eye, the XL2370 will be my next monitor.

i think he meant he hopes the price goes down during a sale throughout the holidays.

I concur; in comparison to my 2408WFP the XL2370's whites were definitely whiter. The whites on the 2408wfp seemed dingy/yellowish and I never even noticed until it was side by side with the XL2370.

One never notices how un-white your previous monitor's white's are until you place it side by side with the XL2370. I thought my LG 2361V had great whites until the XL2370 came along. Superb image quality, even with dynamic contrast on.

Here are some photos of mine. I'm loving it so far. For some reason I thought the screen was supposed to have a glossy finish, but I guess I'm glad it doesn't with my bright ass light in my room. Don't mind the weird setup for my TV(old monitor), I'm in the process of obtaining a new desk and a TV stand. :p

5vuq6q.jpg

30cr295.jpg

All in reference to the monitor's settings:

Gamma: Mode 3
Brightness: 67-71 (there's a good amount of black crush anyway so it just depends on what is most comfortable for your eyes)
Contrast: 36-38
Green: 48
Blue: 51

Gamma Mode 1, but I think I might switch to 2.
Brightness: 50
Contrast: 70
Sharpness: 60

Green: 50
Blue: 50

Is anyone using MagicColor? It seems to create some much better whites for me with it on. I also like that it has a demo which splits the screen in half so you can look at the difference.

I use MagicColor, but prefer Dynamic Contrast as the image quality in games is better and in movies too. With DC on MC doesn't work.

Hi All

I'm really unhappy with the state of the monitor market right now, every panel that's not TN seems to have some major issues with colour uniformity across the panel.

Possibly the only bright light is the Samsung LX2370, yes it's TN and don't they give TN monitors a hard time. It's like I've got a TN monitor, well don't worry mate maybe next time you can have a real monitor...

Anyway sorry about the rant, just a few questions to those of you who already own this monitor:

1. So how do you find the viewing angles in use, any issues?

2. What's the picture quality like? is it poor, good, better than expected?

3. Would you buy the monitor again? Please be honest...

4. Any real world problems with this monitor? like buzzing, to low, all style no substance...

Thx people.

There isn't too much backlight bleed on mine except for a smaller area on the bottom of the screen near the right corner. It's actually kind of bothering me when the screen is black in that area, but it really isn't that noticeable. I'm sure if I returned it and got another one, I'd have some other issue with it. Nothing's perfect, especially with TN panels

Color uniformity is fine for me. There is some minor vertical gamma shift, but nothing unbearable.

1.) Viewing angles are fine. I'm sitting about 3 feet from the screen and only notice, like I said before, a minor vertical gamma shift.
2.) Picture quality is actually better than I expected. Thanks to the LED backlights, the colors are somewhat more vibrant and don't have a yellow "tinge" to them like my old CCFL-backlit monitor had (definitely noticeable when compared side-by-side).
3.) Yeah, I probably would buy this monitor again since I got it for much less than $300 :p
4.) No buzzing at all. I'm not sure why people were afraid this monitor would have buzzing issues.

Still, if you're picky about the issues that commonly plague TN panels, you might want to reconsider. It's not some miraculous new type of TN panel; it just uses LED backlights.

There isn't too much backlight bleed on mine except for a smaller area on the bottom of the screen near the right corner. It's actually kind of bothering me when the screen is black in that area, but it really isn't that noticeable. I'm sure if I returned it and got another one, I'd have some other issue with it. Nothing's perfect, especially with TN panels

Color uniformity is fine for me. There is some minor vertical gamma shift, but nothing unbearable.

1.) Viewing angles are fine. I'm sitting about 3 feet from the screen and only notice, like I said before, a minor vertical gamma shift.
2.) Picture quality is actually better than I expected. Thanks to the LED backlights, the colors are somewhat more vibrant and don't have a yellow "tinge" to them like my old CCFL-backlit monitor had (definitely noticeable when compared side-by-side).
3.) Yeah, I probably would buy this monitor again since I got it for much less than $300 :p
4.) No buzzing at all. I'm not sure why people were afraid this monitor would have buzzing issues.

Still, if you're picky about the issues that commonly plague TN panels, you might want to reconsider. It's not some miraculous new type of TN panel; it just uses LED backlights.

Mine has the same backlight bleed. Same area too. I'd return it too, but like you said, I'd probably have some issue like stuck pixels(mine has 0) haha. So I wonder if everyone else has the same area for backlight bleed as well?

Mine has the same backlight bleed. Same area too. I'd return it too, but like you said, I'd probably have some issue like stuck pixels(mine has 0) haha. So I wonder if everyone else has the same area for backlight bleed as well?

Mine doesn't have it in the bottom right, but more like the bottom middle. I'm contemplating exchanging it because it seems to bleed upwards from the bottom middle a good 1.5". To answer 576190 Questions:

1) Minor issue with my viewing angles, my eye line is too elevated as it is at about 3/4 up the screen and when looking at anything at the bottom you can start to see loss of contrast. My chair is down as far as it will go, and I could put something under the monitor but that might be kind of tacky. I guess not having any adjustments at all for the monitor is kind of a bummer. Looks like I will have to get a new chair? Mine is starting to wear out anyway. Or does anyone know of a clean way to elevate a monitor 1 or 2 inches?

2) Picture quality blew me away, honestly I wasn't expecting the super white's and the colors are seriously popping.

3) I would definitely purchase this monitor again.

4) No buzzing, some back light bleed at the bottom center, no stand adjustments makes it too low, no vesa mounts

Hm, yeah, I mean the backlight bleeding is pretty close to the center, and it does extend upward about an inch or two. It makes the blacks appear very very dark blue. It's just a pain to exchange it and it doesn't affect any other color than blacks. I think I would like to train myself to get used to imperfections so I can curb my audiophilic/videophilic urges haha. It will probably save me money in the future if I start now :p

Sounds like it might be a somewhat common issue too.

I got this monitor over the weekend. he only time so far that the viewing angles really bother me are when viewing this site. THe very dark background shows how bad the vertical viewing really is. I just sent my 2209wa back because I wanted higher resolution. I may just have to go with the nec ips lcd.

I have a problem with this monitor. Everytime the computer goes to sleep or shuts off the monitor it goes to no signal detected and keeps cycling through all inputs to find one. If I set it to manual it just says check cable. Guess this is going back and Im going to go with the nec.

I have a problem with this monitor. Everytime the computer goes to sleep or shuts off the monitor it goes to no signal detected and keeps cycling through all inputs to find one. If I set it to manual it just says check cable. Guess this is going back and Im going to go with the nec.

I have the same situation too, it bother me for a long time.
I send the mail to sunsamg’s client service, and then I got this answer mail:

Dear Samsung Customer,

Thank you for contacting Samsung Electronics.

We would like to inform you that, when you connect the monitor through HDMI the monitor keeps on searching for the signal when you shutdown the PC.

The reason is when you switch off any device connected through HDMI to the monitor, the monitor treats as if
the device is disconnected. It is a normal thing and you need to switch off the monitor manually.

To isolate the issue please check connecting the monitor through VGA.

We believe the above steps should resolve the issue. Please get back to us if you need further assistance.

So, they said "It is a normal thing and you need to switch off the monitor manually."
Does anyone agree it?

So it does not go to sleep? Does anyone else have this issue?

Dear Samsung Customer,

We would like to inform you that, when you connect the monitor through HDMI the monitor keeps on searching for the signal when you shutdown the PC.

The reason is when you switch off any device connected through HDMI to the monitor, the monitor treats as if
the device is disconnected. It is a normal thing and you need to switch off the monitor manually.

We believe the above steps should resolve the issue. Please get back to us if you need further assistance.

So, they said "It is a normal thing and you need to switch off the monitor manually."
Does anyone agree it?

No since I have a shit Westinghouse TX 42inch LCD TV that regardless of no signal detected goes to sleep after 10 minutes or how ever long I specify.

Just keeps cycling through the inputs. I have it hooked up through hdmi. DVI does the same thing. Definitely not normal. This issue needs to be addressed.

No problems here. I'm just noticing the navy blue (although very dark) backlight bleed. But I notice it only when placed side by side with my LG 2361v. The LG is black period. Connected through DVI. HDMI just sucks; don't know why. No sleep issues and I would purchase this again.

Overall superior image quality.

No problems here. I'm just noticing the navy blue (although very dark) backlight bleed. But I notice it only when placed side by side with my LG 2361v. The LG is black period. Connected through DVI. HDMI just sucks; don't know why. No sleep issues and I would purchase this again.

Overall superior image quality.

No sleep issues meaning that when you turn off your computer the monitor goes to sleep automatically?

Dear Samsung Customer,

Does anyone agree it?

That should not be happening. I push HDMI with my LG and whenever I turn my PC off it simply goes to low power standby. They're feeding you a line because somethings hosed. Although I'm not sure why you'd leave the monitor in sleep if you turn the PC off.. Idle/sleep modes still draw current :p

That should not be happening. I push HDMI with my LG and whenever I turn my PC off it simply goes to low power standby. They're feeding you a line because somethings hosed. Although I'm not sure why you'd leave the monitor in sleep if you turn the PC off.. Idle/sleep modes still draw current :p

I agree to power off the electronic product when not use it is the maximum way for energy saving.
But it’s about personal habit. There are also many people they just let monitor into sleep mode automatically when shutdown the pc.

Last edited:
I agree to power off the electronic product when not use it is the maximum way for energy saving.
But it’s about personal habit. There are also many people they just let monitor into sleep mode automatically when shutdown the pc.
Currently using DVI for this monitor, and it has the same issue as with HDMI. No standby mode.

But I really like this monitor - this is not a 'dealbreaker' for me. Of course, there are still some things which annoy like my last monitor. The TN panel requires spending some time finding an optimal sight line where you don't lose contrast at either the top or bottom. Same as my older Gateway 2143. The HardForum is always a good test of this issue, given its black background.

I've adjusted the monitor's color settings based on some input from this thread, and the outcome is very nice in general. Although the whites are really white, the brightness is a problem when dealing with small text. I've made some adjustments that work well, although I'm still not through tweaking settings. I'm finding that its better to adjust the desktop to suit the use of text and internet, while adjusting games in their own control panels for brightness and contrast (if they provide that feature). I play LOTRO a lot, and the graphics look really good.

Overall, the monitor is a winner for me aside from the TN limitations, which my wallet and need for speed negates. The absence of a standby mode is surprising, but having to press one more button at the end of the day is not a big deal considering how nice the monitor is.

Last edited:
And it's not even technically a button, you're just touching it to shut it off. But yeah, even if the sleep mode did work, I would still shut it off. That's just how I've always done things.

My only complaints with this monitor was trying to navigate through the menus. Sometimes it wouldn't register my finger press, but this is just a minor complaint. :p I can't really complain about the viewing angles since I know I was buying a TN panel. Compared to my other monitor, well TV(Sharp 32GP1U), the colors blow it away.

mine searches for a signal on dvi as well as hdmi. So I either need to change my pc to to shut off monitor during the day or shut it off everytime I walk away from my desk. I will end up returning it.

What are your settings that you're using? I'm just curious and want to see what everyone's using as far as brightness/contrast/sharpness/color/etc.

Currently using DVI for this monitor, and it has the same issue as with HDMI. No standby mode.

But I really like this monitor - this is not a 'dealbreaker' for me. Of course, there are still some things which annoy like my last monitor. The TN panel requires spending some time finding an optimal sight line where you don't lose contrast at either the top or bottom. Same as my older Gateway 2143. The HardForum is always a good test of this issue, given its black background.

I've adjusted the monitor's color settings based on some input from this thread, and the outcome is very nice in general. Although the whites are really white, the brightness is a problem when dealing with small text. I've made some adjustments that work well, although I'm still not through tweaking settings. I'm finding that its better to adjust the desktop to suit the use of text and internet, while adjusting games in their own control panels for brightness and contrast (if they provide that feature). I play LOTRO a lot, and the graphics look really good.

Overall, the monitor is a winner for me aside from the TN limitations, which my wallet and need for speed negates. The absence of a standby mode is surprising, but having to press one more button at the end of the day is not a big deal considering how nice the monitor is.
I totally agree with you.

Back