SMP FAH on VMware

I'm new to all this VM and Linux stuff, but figured I would give it a shot on my amd x2 3800 just for fun. But since I have XP home, it looks like I can't install VMware cause I don't have IIS installed - I guess it only comes with XP Pro. So I'm out of luck, right?

meisterbrau

meisterbrau said:
I'm new to all this VM and Linux stuff, but figured I would give it a shot on my amd x2 3800 just for fun. But since I have XP home, it looks like I can't install VMware cause I don't have IIS installed - I guess it only comes with XP Pro. So I'm out of luck, right?

meisterbrau

There's a way around that... Take a look around under OS section and ask around, you are bound to get some answers there. :D

meisterbrau said:

I'm pretty sure you don't need IIS installed. IIS used for remote montioring/reporting/usage etc. Just click ok when it bitches and keep installing

Yeah, there's an option that doesn't require IIS. Which 3800 do you have, meisterbrau? ISTRC some of them have VT and some don't.

MARTY: I made it on your home box, whatever that is. The P-D 2.66 is the 805, correct? Only the 9x0's have VT. The Core Duos are 32-bit only, and no VT IIRC - the Core 2 Duos have both VT and 64-bit.

I'm still a little confused as why we're worried about if a chip has VT? In all my workings with VM and VS only VS 2005 R2 beta products actually used VT, has something changed recently?

hehe sorry mage, just wanted to make you you read that part... :)

Ok, so it works on the box it was made on (930 CPU, no idea where this 8xx talk keeps coming from) but not on any other box.

My .02 is it's got nothing to do with VT.

Seems somehow the VM itself is getting version/platform locked or something... Exactly what is not suposta happen.

Be neat to install a 64 anything on these guys boxes, 64 bit is 64 bit regardless of this VT whoooy.

Umm... no exactly a whole lot of settings to play with in VM land.

So to summarize where this thread is at right now:
1. Has anyone successfully run this VM yet besides mage ?
2. If not, we are trying to figure out if the cpu VT capability is the problem vs. the VM itself ?

Huh, try this: VM>new VM> pick 64 bit nix, see if it yells at you and says you can't create a 64 bit machine

http://www.vmware.com/download/ws/drivers_tools.html

Windows: http://download3.vmware.com/software/wkst/VMware-guest64check-5.5.0-18463.exe

tool checks your box

http://kb.vmware.com/vmtnkb/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=1901&sliceId=SAL_Public

Pwned?

Intel

Intel EM64T CPUs do not have segmentation support in long mode. If the Intel EM64T CPU is VT-capable, it comes with hardware virtualization support (Intel's Vanderpool Technology). This hardware virtualization support allows Workstation and VMware Server to work around the lack of segmentation, making it possible to run 64-bit guest operating systems on Intel EM64T VT-capable CPUs.

RPhArrow said:
So to summarize where this thread is at right now:
1. Has anyone successfully run this VM yet besides mage ?
2. If not, we are trying to figure out if the cpu VT capability is the problem vs. the VM itself ?

per 1 it's actually me only one with it running...on box it was built on...

VT is the issue on Intel chips- intel 64 bit is hack job (no long segment crap) and needs VT to make it run.

I think.

marty9876 said:
Huh, try this: VM>new VM> pick 64 bit nix, see if it yells at you and says you can't create a 64 bit machine

Yep, it yells..... I tried to create a Ubuntu 64bit machine & I get the "64 bit OS not supported by host & will not run on this system" message, but it lets me proceed. However when the VM is powered on, VMware jumps in & says the same stuff.... If I click through it, the VM keeps going until it doesn't find the OS. Whereas, the FAH-RedHat VM itself stops with the "host not capable" error

marty9876 said:
per 1 it's actually me only one with it running...on box it was built on...

VT is the issue on Intel chips- intel 64 bit is hack job (no long segment crap) and needs VT to make it run.

I think.

Yeah,.... I think you are right --- Next thing we need to do is find an AMD X2 to try it on... Anybody have one to play with ?

Tried it on my Opterons but they are only revision C not E so it wont run.
I get the "64 bit OS not supported by host & will not run on this system".
Next try is on one of my X2's.

Not going to try it on my Core2Duo as that box is chugging along nice and slowly at only 1,002 Points per Day ........ :eek:

Luck ................ :D

marty9876 said:
I'm pretty sure you don't need IIS installed. IIS used for remote montioring/reporting/usage etc. Just click ok when it bitches and keep installing

yeah, you're right. I just clicked past the warning messages and now I have vmware installed. I'll try that torrent next.

meisterbrau

I'm pulling it down too...I'll try it on my eclectic mix of hardware I have here at home.

unhappy_mage said:
Yeah, there's an option that doesn't require IIS. Which 3800 do you have, meisterbrau? ISTRC some of them have VT and some don't.

It's a manchester model B stepping 1 rev BH-E4.

Says it has x86-64

Cool beans. According to the VMware KB, you should be good to go with that chip. I think.

Is everyone getting decent speeds from the torrent? I'm only getting ~120 KB/s up on that torrent to the two peers I see, I could stop some other things...

I think you guys are going to need to update the client after you get it. I did a "wget somehthing something" and then untarred it I think. The machine does not auto start any more, I change consoles and go into the directory and start it manually now.

if i am reading this thread correctly, you can't run a 64bit VM unless the real operating system is already 64 bit, at least that was what i ran into when i tried to run 64bit vista on my 32 bit XP pro machine.

or am i way off on this ??

the snake said:
if i am reading this thread correctly, you can't run a 64bit VM unless the real operating system is already 64 bit, at least that was what i ran into when i tried to run 64bit vista on my 32 bit XP pro machine.
Nope, you can do it, provided you have VT on your Intel chip or at least a rev. D Athlon (E required in some cases; see the link two up from here).

As for updating the client, once I see if this is actually useful I'll set it up to auto-download the client, and post the link at FCF.

marty9876 said:
I think you guys are going to need to update the client after you get it. I did a "wget somehthing something" and then untarred it I think. The machine does not auto start any more, I change consoles and go into the directory and start it manually now.

All looks good so far, I got linux running in a window after a whole bunch of start up stuff. But I'm getting the message "Folding@home: This beta expired on December 1, 2006." So I guess I'm hitting the same thing that marty's talking about.

Problem is, I can download the new client from stanford, but where exactly does it go? The files in the download don't look similar to any of the files that are in the VM from the torrent.

I got no clue about wgets and untarring. sorry!

meisterbrau

D'oh! Here's how to download a new client and install it:
  • Hit Alt-F1 to go to the first console
  • Login as "fold" with password "Fold@on".
  • Type the following to download a new version of the FAH console: "wget http://www.stanford.edu/~kasson/folding/FAH_SMP_Linux.tgz -O FAH_SMP_Linux.tgz"
  • Unpack the new client: "tar xzf FAH_SMP_Linux.tgz"
  • Restart the FAH client: "service folding restart"
That should work. I think.

the snake: You may get better PPD out of the SMP client, and I'd appreciate the testing. Go for it :D You'll need to follow the steps above, as well.

unhappy_mage said:
D'oh! Here's how to download a new client and install it:
  • Hit Alt-F1 to go to the first console
  • Login as "fold" with password "Fold@on".
  • Type the following to download a new version of the FAH console: "wget http://www.stanford.edu/~kasson/folding/FAH_SMP_Linux.tgz -O FAH_SMP_Linux.tgz"
  • Unpack the new client: "tar xzf FAH_SMP_Linux.tgz"
  • Restart the FAH client: "service folding restart"
That should work. I think.

the snake: You may get better PPD out of the SMP client, and I'd appreciate the testing. Go for it :D You'll need to follow the steps above, as well.

Can't seem to login for some reason. Using fold and Fold@on for login/pass. It just keeps saying "login incorrect:

What version of VMWare did you use Mage? Whichever one I downloaded is asking me for a serial number whenever I attempt to startup the machine.

Edit: nevermind, I'm registering for a serial number now

Anyway to change it from 2 processors to 4?

So far so good for my X2.
Download and installed the client and that runs.
Now downloading the Torrent.

Tried to tranfere the files from my main box but it just locks up if I do that ..... :(

Luck ........... :D

meisterbrau said:
Can't seem to login for some reason. Using fold and Fold@on for login/pass. It just keeps saying "login incorrect:

I'm having the same issue, it boots up and runs fine on my 5160s though.

ND40oz said:
Anyway to change it from 2 processors to 4?
Unfortunately, no :( VMware Server only goes to 2 processors, I think you need GSX (which is like $10k!) to get 4 processor virtualization.

Make sure you're using a capital F on the password. Or maybe I forgot to set the password for fold. Try logging in as "root" with the same password "Fold@on" (no quotes) and then run "su - fold" and continue with the directions as above.

unhappy_mage said:
Or maybe I forgot to set the password for fold. Try logging in as "root" with the same password "Fold@on" (no quotes) and then run "su - fold" and continue with the directions as above.

yep - that was it.

ok, now on to the next step.

meisterbrau said:
yep - that was it.

ok, now on to the next step.

hey, I got it going! I had to deviate a bit from your instructions above - the address for the new version of FAH should be http://www.stanford.edu/~kasson/folding.FAH_SMP_Linux.tgz

Also, the service restart didn't work, but got it going with just plain old service start.

(maybe this linux stuff isn't that hard after all!
:D

So its running on both cores - at about 80% total utilization. I didn't mess around with any of the advanced options or anything when configuring the client. I'll report back on times after its run a couple of frames.

btw, my x2 3800 has been overclocked to just a tad under 2.5ghz

Well, post some frame times!

Yea, will only use ~ 85% of CPU clocks. That's why I'm driving the GPU with the leavings.

@ mage is ESX for the 4x VM. It's an entire OS you lay on the bare metal. Kinda moot point sine running this under XP is kinda the plus to it all (for us nix noobs). You can sign up for trial ESX thou for shits.

Bear in mind VM does not run at lowest priority or anything. Yea, FAH might be but it's wrapped in VM land to it's running at normal priority. One would assume this will affect over system performance if you trying to play a game or what not.

Right click> suspend. Has not borked a WU yet on me.

marty9876 said:
@ mage is ESX for the 4x VM.
As far as I'm concerned it's SXY :p

Yeah, this will suck some major CPU. You can even run two VMs on your 2x2 machines for more soul sucking action :D

can someone post exactly how to get it to connect to update the F@H deal, no matter what i type in there it will not work, says no comand found or something, of course i have no idea on how to use linux, so maybe just my error, atleast i am sure of that part :)

the snake said:
can someone post exactly how to get it to connect to update the F@H deal, no matter what i type in there it will not work, says no comand found or something, of course i have no idea on how to use linux, so maybe just my error, atleast i am sure of that part :)

ahh, for some reason the url keeps getting messed up - where it has the 3 dots in the address, change them to olding/FA

so that it looks like /folding/FAH_SMP_Linux,tgz (not sure why that happens, but I see it alot - the middle of an address gets truncated

http://www.stanford.edu/~kasson/f...H_SMP_Linux.tgz

meisterbrau

marty9876 said:
Well, post some frame times!

The frame times I'm showing don't make much sense - according to the window, the client has only been running for 12 minutes total, when its really been running for close to an hour. If I had to guess, I would say about 12-13 minutes per frame right now.

Is it normal for the virtual machine clock to be way off from the windows system clock?

Here's what the client is showing though
[00:34:23] Completed 0 out of 500000 steps
[00:40:53] Completed 50000 out of 5000000 steps (1 percent)
[00:43:45] Completed 100000 out of 5000000 steps (2 percent)
[00:45:21] Completed 150000 out of 5000000 steps (3 percent)
[00:46:37] Completed 200000 out of 5000000 steps (4 percent)

[edit] - just got a message - warning: many lost ticks
Your time source seems to be instable or some driver is hogging interupts rep dnotify_parent+0x22/0x8a

Not getting anywhere with this. I downloaded the new one using the wget webaddress -O FAH_SMP_Linux.tgz command. It downloaded, I then did tar xzf FAH_SMP_Linux.tgz and it just went to the next line. Tried the service restart command, didn't work, tried the service start command and it just tries to run the old service and tells me it expired on the 1st. Any ideas?

ND40oz said:
Not getting anywhere with this. I downloaded the new one using the wget webaddress -O FAH_SMP_Linux.tgz command. It downloaded, I then did tar xzf FAH_SMP_Linux.tgz and it just went to the next line. Tried the service restart command, didn't work, tried the service start command and it just tries to run the old service and tells me it expired on the 1st. Any ideas?

if your in the directory with the fah5 file (you d/l it to right place?) just type "./fah5" w/o quotes is what I did.

Finally got it up and running.
The fun @ games I've had.

1. Its set up for an American keyboard not an English one.
So the @ is in the wrong place.
But you dont see that in the password screen.

2. When you go down to the root folder to log on, you then need to go back up to the folding one to download and install the new core.
Otherwise it does not over-write the old core.

Edit. Looks around 10 mins a frame.

Luck ............. :D

Marty, that worked, 8 min and 32 seconds per step for me. I'm assuming I can run two of these and still have enough processing power to drive two x1950xtx's?

ND40oz said:
Marty, that worked, 8 min and 32 seconds per step for me. I'm assuming I can run two of these and still have enough processing power to drive two x1950xtx's?

Umm, sure overclock it to like 50 GZh a core maybe. What are you running with? With my box, cruddy old 930 I get pretty big frame time hits on both sides (SMP/GPU) but add them together and it's still better PPD than most, 24/7 too. Kinda like the old HT game.

If you have a quad system would be most interesting.

@ Tiger: Well, we are in the US here... sorry about that one keyboards not something I think about all too often. :D

@ mage: we needs a new version, we needs a new version, we needs a pitcher not a belly itcher...errrr down with moose?

Back