SMP FAH on VMware

marty9876 said:
Umm, sure overclock it to like 50 GZh a core maybe. What are you running with? With my box, cruddy old 930 I get pretty big frame time hits on both sides (SMP/GPU) but add them together and it's still better PPD than most, 24/7 too. Kinda like the old HT game.

If you have a quad system would be most interesting.

It's a quad box, dual 5160s, I'm hoping my crossfire edition x1950xtx comes in today so I can rebuild the box with crossfire instead of the SLI'd quadros it's running now. I want 5000 ppd out of this box dammit...

ND40oz said:
It's a quad box, dual 5160s, I'm hoping my crossfire edition x1950xtx comes in today so I can rebuild the box with crossfire instead of the SLI'd quadros it's running now. I want 5000 ppd out of this box dammit...

yea, I've got a personal fetish for 5k out of one box too. You ain't gonna get it this way I don't think.

1x SMP in VM = ~ 1000 PPD

2000 PPD off VM land

You not gonna have the nuts left over to run GPU's wide open I doubt (plus don't dual GPU clients kinda run like crap too?).

~ 700 PPD most off each GPU? 1400 PPD total

~ 3400 PPD off the box. Kinda a guess here but it's not 5k for sure.

Install VM ESX and run the GPU's in a virtual machine (no clue if you can) and run the SMP client native in nix land maybe. No idea if this would work.

Hmmm, I thought SMP gave more points, I can get 2000 ppd out of the box without VM, this might not be the best for me then.

You can get 2000 PPD this way with VMs, and then in addition run the GPU client at the same time. And it gives Stanford more testers of the SMP client.

ND40oz said:
Hmmm, I thought SMP gave more points, I can get 2000 ppd out of the box without VM, this might not be the best for me then.

The key word is can. With SMP it's (currently) 24/7 bonus WU's. Plus the GPU clients are icing.

It's close, 20-30% loss on frame time compared to 100% bonus is the deal.

unhappy_mage said:
You can get 2000 PPD this way with VMs, and then in addition run the GPU client at the same time. And it gives Stanford more testers of the SMP client.

Alright, can you get us an updated VM box with the correct client, please :D

Although it is coming down to finals for both of us and I imagine you're as busy as I am.

ND40oz said:
Although it is coming down to finals for both of us and I imagine you're as busy as I am.
I shouldn't even be answering this :( 5 page paper due tomorrow, I've got two and I'm out of things to say. BSing is my minor, but 60% BS? That's stretching it... And then there's the comp sci project due on Sunday...

Ah well, at least I can listen to the Vandals' christmas album while I contemplate Malcolm X's assassination... or maybe that's a bad combination.

Got it running on one of my X2's @ 2.2 Ghz.

Doing around 4 frames an hour or approx 500 PpD.
Not to sure what to alter to see if I can get it to run faster.
The main trouble is I'm remote desktopping in to the box and so cannot check memory use etc, etc.

Luck with the exams ............. :D:D

Tigerbiten said:
Got it running on one of my X2's @ 2.2 Ghz.

Doing around 4 frames an hour or approx 500 PpD.
Not to sure what to alter to see if I can get it to run faster.
The main trouble is I'm remote desktopping in to the box and so cannot check memory use etc, etc.

Luck with the exams ............. :D:D

huh? Bring up the task manager, windows security in start bar.

marty9876 said:
You not gonna have the nuts left over to run GPU's wide open I doubt (plus don't dual GPU clients kinda run like crap too?).

I got the dual 1950's finally running just under 7min/frame....so almost 1500PPD

ND40oz...take the 3k on the 5160's and put the 1950's in another box for 1500k

How long does it take to get the invite from vmware (email sent back to you). Been waiting a while and still haven't got the email so I can download the software.

You can download the software now. The license number is what you have to wait on. Still, mine was instantly in my inbox.

Think I did the wrong click and e-mail. Downloading now and sent in proper registration.

Argh this thread is messy and I'm having trouble following it. What version of VMware Server should I be downloading? (my OS is Windows 2000 professional on the system I want to try it out on)

Sorry one last thing, any guidance on accessing the torrent? I'm a torrent n00b.

edit: Got VM running. I guess I'll be opening the torrent download (once it is done as an existing VM?)

Guys,

Getting this error when trying to start the VM that Mage loaded:

VMware Server cannot find the virtual disk "Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3 64-bit.vmdk". Please verify the path is valid and try again.
Cannot open the disk 'Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3 64-bit.vmdk' or one of the snapshot disks it depends on.
Reason: The system cannot find the file specified.

Ok. Mage included a zip program called 7z. You install that program on your comupter and use it to open the zip he encluded with the torrent. It is the one that ends in .7z

Had already done that and move the .vmx to the folder that was created as a result. Error was after that event.

edit: nm, I'm a tard. I had unpacked the 7z program and thought for some reason that was all I had to do.

Okay, on to trying to get the new core and I keep on getting www.stanford.edu ... failed: Host not found.

edit: guessing this is because I normally have DHCP off on my router. I will enable and restart VM.

You'll need a dhcp server on the real network, yeah. Sorry I didn't mention that; I figured most people would have one so it wasn't even listed in the "requirements" section (doh).

Did it get the "client ID" thing? That takes a real internet connection, I'm sorta surprised that that would work and not getting the cores. :confused:

zim01 said:
I got the dual 1950's finally running just under 7min/frame....so almost 1500PPD

ND40oz...take the 3k on the 5160's and put the 1950's in another box for 1500k

Yeah, I might do that, I'm having problems getting the cards installed on that box, keep getting blue screens with the 6.10 and 6.11 Cats. I'm going to try the 6.12 betas and then if that doesn't work, rebuild the box. I'm waiting on my 5355s, they were supposed to be available this month but now I'm being told Jan. for production chips. I figure 3 VM boxes running on the 6 cores and 2 cores to push the 2 gpus...that'll be my January project.

Worked after I enable DHCP. Now how do I tell if it is working? TOP showed it not working. I'm still getting that the beta is expired so something went wrong in my program replacement.

After you run "su - fold", try "pwd". This should return "/home/fold". If it doesn't, try "cd /home/fold". Then download (that URL may be wrong, check Stanford for the latest) and unpack.

Sorry for all the bugs; I only have one 64-bit machine to work with and that's Marty's via RDP, so I'm trying to accumulate as many problems as I can and then fix them all at once. So far, I need to get a better client-retrieving system, preferrably one that'll update itself automatically. The only problem is I can't predict precisely what Stanford will call the link to the program, and there's no "current-client" URL that always gets the latest client. But I'll figure something out.

screeny I'm getting (I understand the limitations and wish my Linux skills were better so I could be less annoying):

vmshot.jpg

I logged out. Logged in and ran: service folding start

It gave me the same expiration line and then entered into the configuration. So it looks like things are running now. Strange.

Add another SMP system to the fray, with a little GPU action at the same time of course (Thanks for the setup unhappy_mage and help from others):
vmgpushot.jpg

Hito Bahadur said:
screeny I'm getting (I understand the limitations and wish my Linux skills were better so I could be less annoying):

http://www.nefolding.org/photos/vmshot.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Aha, I know what the problem is, and it's not your fault. The "service" command is usable by the superuser ("root") only. So if you log out one level, the prompt will end with a # instead of a $ and you'd be able to use "service".

What do you mean by "the same expiration line"? If you hit shift+pageUp, it'll move up a half screen of output. And in VMware you can grab a .png screenshot by going to VM->capture screen. It'll be smaller than the jpeg, and include only the virtual monitor contents.

Glad you got it working :D

How long before I should expect the first Frame to be completed? Running an 3800+ X2 @ around 2.2Ghz

Mage: I meant that before it started running, I still got the "beta expired 1 December..."
text.

I haven't completed a frame yet. VMware server has been running sluggish the whole time. I thought maybe it was just the program, but I think something is wrong. This should be fun to debug....joy.

I get over 15 mins a frame on my X2 @ 2.2 Ghz.

Its uploaded the first finished WU and just sat there.
I had to stop/start it to get it to upload a new WU.

It will not start the client when I start the VM box.
Gives me a permissions error on line 3.

No sure if I should up the memory set aside to the VM or not.
Box has 2 Gig and set the VM to 0.5 Gig.
May up it to ~1.2 Gig and see what happens.

Also how do you reconfig the client on the VM box.
I want to up the memory I gave it.

PS. First time I've done anything with Linux.

Luck .............. :D

WRT the VM not starting: can you give me a screenshot of what "ls -l /home/fold" returns? My guess is a permissions problem, shouldn't be too bad to fix.

To give the client more memory, power down the VM (click the Stop button in the UL corner of the GUI or use menus) and then double-click "Memory" and drag the slider as appropriate. Here's an easy-to-follow screenshot:
vmware-change-mem.png

Sorry if it's too big for your puny monitors; my desktop res is 1800x1440 :p

On the first WU, it had an error after completing the first frame and stopped working. I restarted the service and it downloaded another WU and died on that one during the first frame. I am rebooting the computer and seeing if that helps. This is a stable system that has been running fine for a few months.

edit: Update. Rebooting seeming to make a big difference in speed at least into booting into Linux. We'll see if it helps stability also.

Hito Bahadur said:
On the first WU, it had an error after completing the first frame and stopped working. I restarted the service and it downloaded another WU and died on that one during the first frame. I am rebooting the computer and seeing if that helps. This is a stable system that has been running fine for a few months.
That could just be the client. I'm awfully tempted to assume so, anyways :p I guess if it happens again, take it to the FCF (or give me the information and I will) to see if it's a known bug.

Well after the reboot, I'm on my 3rd frame with about 10 minutes per frame. I have just started the GPU client and will see what effect that has on the system.

I haven't tried that yet.

Preliminary numbers are giving me a solid increase on my test system:

GPU: 475 PPD
1xCPU: 150 PPD (Been getting stinkers lately)
Total: 625 PPD

To:
GPU: 340 PPD
SMP: 730 PPD
Total: 1070 PPD

Delta: 445 PPD

Even with 600 Pointers one CPU will only get 250PPD so using SMP is like getting my CPU back and getting good cores again.

edit: Test system specs
Athlon64 X2 3800+ @ ~2.2Ghz
2x512MB Memory
ATI XX1900XT @ 2D clock speeds (3D speeds in From numbers, so delta closer to 500PPD)
Windows 2000XP Pro

edit: SMP data was originally a bit off

whrswoldo said:
Is there any reason why this wouldn't work or be advisable on a C2D?

Should work fine, no difference then running it on Woodcrests.

You might be getting better PPD from running 2 instances of standard FAH.

I had to dump one of my CPUs so I could run the GPU client, plus a lot of the FAH WUs run poorly on AMDs. Use the processor check to verify your computer will run vmserver: http://www.vmware.com/download/server/drivers_tools.html

Also, I'm not certain how this set up will after day to day use. I'm using it on a dedicated system.

Going to have to wait till after the Horde bowl to reformat the computer to Linux 64. I would love to try that SMP client.

what this thead needs is some well written instuctions on setting this up, for people like me :( , that haven't a clue on what they are trying to do.

i have messed around trying to get it running for a few hours, but just can't seem to grasp the whole comand prompt deal.

i really apreciate all they folks trying to help so far, but maybe someone can condense averthing that works into one post ?

Back