Will XBOX 360 look good on 2405FPW?

hmm dont have the x360 as there are mjor shortages in the uk

but i think ill dig out my x2vga cable and comnpare wot xbmc is like over vga and component

Good idea Yaka.

But you should DEFINITELY be able to tell the diff in resolutions just over component. Why not just try running XBMC over component at 480P and then up it to 720P. If you've got any xbox 720P games as well, make sure you try those.

I've found that 480P xbox games look really naff on the 2405fpw. But anything in 720P looks great.

Think I might order this screen again (I sold it a while back as I needed the funds) and then I can do some 360 testing myself. Will post results when I get them. In the mean time, it'd be nice if John could post some game results in both 480P and 720P on the 360 so we can compare them side-by-side. Any chance, John? :cool:

does anyone have any pics of what the 360 looks like on a 2001FP? i would imagine there would be bars because it isn't a widescreen LCD right?
-thanks

Hello all, I am looking for some more info on this subject. I have not seen a definitive answer on if the VGA adapter will give more quality than the component.

Has anyone tried both and noticed a difference?

from experiance anything that would normally be seen on a TV looks awesome on a monitor... do to the fact: way better resolution

EDIT: i dont own a TV since i moved to my new apt. I have 22 inch compaq monitor set up in the livingroom that I Use to watch DVDs... Its a little old but it looks better than my dads advent 32 inch widescreen flatscreen TV (quality wise)

skittzle said:
Hello all, I am looking for some more info on this subject. I have not seen a definitive answer on if the VGA adapter will give more quality than the component.

Has anyone tried both and noticed a difference?

VGA cables can support high resolutions so the 2405fpw won't know the difference between an xbox and a PC. It should look better assuming the component input isn't truly HD.

Well right now, I am using the component cables. I can't see any difference between the 720p and 1080i. The difference between 480p and 720p/1080i is huge however.

I hope someone out there that has compared both VGA and component can shed some light on my confuzzled brain.

my x360 has arrived but every shop near by is sold out of the vga cable:/

John said:
Final conclusion - the 2405FPW doesn't support component HD. It takes it down to 480p and then brings it back up again, like Dell said.

Proof
Original test image: http://www.itworks.com/hdtv/itworks-HDTV_720P.png
Test image on X360, 480p: http://www.weavo.net/x360/480.jpg
Test image on X360, 1080i: http://www.weavo.net/x360/1080.jpg

There's a slight difference in quality, but the "HD" shot isn't anywhere close to 720p.

John, can you compare 720p with the highres 720p pictures from here: http://screenshots.teamxbox.com/ and see if they show the same resolution? :)

I will compare and get back to you guys. I am using the component input on the 2405FPW now and it looks great at 720P and at 1080i. I also have the VGA cable and will report back soon if the quality is better/worse.

might have to wait till tomm morning, kinda tired right now. :eek:

Alright im back and ready to post some pics.

This is of the 360 on a 2405FPW with a VGA Connected at 1360x768.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a396/shooks20/2405FPW/IMGA0179.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a396/shooks20/2405FPW/IMGA0173vga.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a396/shooks20/2405FPW/IMGA0172vga.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a396/shooks20/2405FPW/IMGA0175vga.jpg

Now this is the 360 on a 2405FPW connected with Component cables at 720P.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a396/shooks20/2405FPW/IMGA0178comp.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a396/shooks20/2405FPW/IMGA0177comp.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a396/shooks20/2405FPW/IMGA0176comp.jpg

Ok I dont know if the pics are that good, but let me tell you the component cables look a lot better than the VGA. The VGA does look nice, but it looks a little washed out compared to the component cables.

How do I get sound from 360 games with the 2405? There is no audio inputs for the moniter. Is there a way to connect speakers to it? I have the dell sound bar but I can't get any sound form games to work. Please help! :(

cant help ya with the sound, have mine connected to a Viewsonic NextVision 5 box.

About the sound...

I used a RCA extension and ran it to my stereo reciever. I would think that with a sound bar you could just plug the red and white sound jacks into the monitor and it would work fine.

Good luck

shooks said:
I will compare and get back to you guys. I am using the component input on the 2405FPW now and it looks great at 720P and at 1080i. I also have the VGA cable and will report back soon if the quality is better/worse.

might have to wait till tomm morning, kinda tired right now. :eek:

Could you do a visual comparison with a corresponding game to the hidef pictures found here?: http://screenshots.teamxbox.com/

Has anyone been able to resolve the issue of washed out colours with a VGA cable on the 2405FPW?

When I use a component cable the colours look vibrant. When I use the VGA cable there appears to be less jaggies but the colours are REALLY washed out. I can really notice it in bright games like Kameo, or even on the blade backgrounds in the dashboard.

I've been reading other forums where people are having the same problem with non-dell LCDs. Would a 3rd party VGA cable resolve this, or is the problem rooted in the xbox 360?

jaybird said:
Has anyone been able to resolve the issue of washed out colours with a VGA cable on the 2405FPW?

When I use a component cable the colours look vibrant. When I use the VGA cable there appears to be less jaggies but the colours are REALLY washed out. I can really notice it in bright games like Kameo, or even on the blade backgrounds in the dashboard.

I've been reading other forums where people are having the same problem with non-dell LCDs. Would a 3rd party VGA cable resolve this, or is the problem rooted in the xbox 360?

Try messing with the contract/brightness settings. They should be available to you while using VGA.

UnknownSouljer said:
Try messing with the contract/brightness settings. They should be available to you while using VGA.

I've played around with the brightness and contrast as well as the RGB settings. Nothing works. It is not just a little washed out, its REALLY washed out.

Anyone else use a lot of motion blur while playing the 360 on their 2405? I never noticed any while playing on my pc, hoping getting a VGA cable will fix it.

I see no motion blur on my 2405FPW. The only time I've seen motion blur is in PDZ and that is an effect that was built in to the game on purpose.

If you buy the VGA cable let me know if you get the washed out colour problem.

I have the 2405 hooked up by the components to the xbox......the picture is brilliant and I have it forced to 1080i, why do you want to use a vga when the component is as good as it can be?????

I have a Hitachi 46" projection TV and to be honest, the 2405 picture is as good or better than the TV. :D :D

I'm not saying the pciture on the 2405 isn't good with component. It's just that with the VGA cable there are significantly less jaggies. I can really notice the difference in games like PGR3 where you are mostly staring at the center of the screen to see other cars in the distance.

Although, It could just be that I'm sitting too close to my 2405. :confused:

But I've read on other forums that other people get better quality images with the VGA cable over the component cable even though the colours are washed out.

not for me, the component is much better on my 2405FPW even though my pictures on the previous page didnt quite show it.

The VGA cables are washed out, but the images did not look any better to me either, so I see no reason to choose the VGA cables UNLESS that is your only option.

Picked up a VGA cable today, as others have said, the colors are terrible, and no amount of messing with the monitors settings will fix it. I was also disappointed that the resolution only went up to 1320x768 (think that was it). Why not the full 1080i 1920x1080?

There were however, noticeably less jaggies, though they still weren't completely gone. The tradeoff wasn't enough for me though, I'll live with the jaggies to get the better colors of the component connection.

To make things even more confusing, I tried my xbox 360 with the VGA cable on an old 15" LCD and the colours look fine. :confused:

I'm not an expert in this area. What would cause the the washed out colours on some LCDs and not others? Do some LCDs have some sort of gamma settings that others do not?

Can anyone with a CRT monitor and xbox360 comment on how the colors are with a vga cable? or is it just an LCD issue?

jaybird said:
To make things even more confusing, I tried my xbox 360 with the VGA cable on an old 15" LCD and the colours look fine. :confused:

I'm not an expert in this area. What would cause the the washed out colours on some LCDs and not others? Do some LCDs have some sort of gamma settings that others do not?

Well, I know I'm not the only one who felt that, straight out of the box connected to a computer, the 2405 colors are a little washed out, though not to the point that it is when connected to the xbox. I was able to correct them the way I like them using the nvidia color controls, unfortunately the xbox has nothing like that.

Bo_Bice said:
Can anyone with a CRT monitor and xbox360 comment on how the colors are with a vga cable? or is it just an LCD issue?

My 360 is hooked up via VGA cable to my 2005fpw. I don't notice an washing of colors like you guys are talking about. Although, I do think the hype about AA was overrated. In PGR3 you can definitely see jaggies. Especially along the walls on the F1 circuits.

MJGunn said:
Picked up a VGA cable today, as others have said, the colors are terrible, and no amount of messing with the monitors settings will fix it. I was also disappointed that the resolution only went up to 1320x768 (think that was it). Why not the full 1080i 1920x1080?

There were however, noticeably less jaggies, though they still weren't completely gone. The tradeoff wasn't enough for me though, I'll live with the jaggies to get the better colors of the component connection.

Sums up my feelings exactly.

MJGunn said:

1080i is not true 1920x1080

1080i = 1440x540 (most likely, as very few 1080i sources are encoded with the full 1920w resolution, unsure of the xbox 360 specifically) (most HD recorders for example are 1440x540 resolution for 1080i encoding)

1080i displays alternating interlaced 540 vertical lines every 1/60th of a second. So, every 1/30th of a second you will have seen 1080 vertical lines. This interlacing can however cause visual problems, alot depends on the hardware/scalers, display, etc. 720p on the other hand displays 720 progressive vertical lines every 1/30 of a second. The lines are not interlaced and as such do not suffer some of the interlacing issues in visial picture quality.

As for display devices side of things, if you input 1080i to a display through the component video inputs, the display will put the video through a scaler to match the resolution of the monitor. For example, if you have a 1920x1200 monitor, the scaler will try to upconvert a 1080i signal to 1920x1080 (leaving black bars on top and bottom so as to keep aspect ratio). To do this, I'm not sure if the display will deinterlace every two 1920x540/1440x540 frames into a single 1920x1080 frame, or scale up every interlaced 540 frame to 1080. Might depend on the hardware/scaler.

I don't profess to be an expert on this by any means, so please correct if/where I am wrong.

I personally prefer to use the VGA cables. I'll have to check out the component cables again to compare colors as another user pointed out. I didn't notice any loss of vibrance to the colors myself though.

canislupy said:
1080i is not true 1920x1080

1080i = 1440x540 (most likely, as very few 1080i sources are encoded with the full 1920w resolution, unsure of the xbox 360 specifically) (most HD recorders for example are 1440x540 resolution for 1080i encoding)

1080i displays alternating interlaced 540 vertical lines every 1/60th of a second. So, every 1/30th of a second you will have seen 1080 vertical lines. This interlacing can however cause visual problems, alot depends on the hardware/scalers, display, etc. 720p on the other hand displays 720 progressive vertical lines every 1/30 of a second. The lines are not interlaced and as such do not suffer some of the interlacing issues in visial picture quality.

As for display devices side of things, if you input 1080i to a display through the component video inputs, the display will put the video through a scaler to match the resolution of the monitor. For example, if you have a 1920x1200 monitor, the scaler will try to upconvert a 1080i signal to 1920x1080 (leaving black bars on top and bottom so as to keep aspect ratio). To do this, I'm not sure if the display will deinterlace every two 1920x540/1440x540 frames into a single 1920x1080 frame, or scale up every interlaced 540 frame to 1080. Might depend on the hardware/scaler.

I don't profess to be an expert on this by any means, so please correct if/where I am wrong.

I personally prefer to use the VGA cables. I'll have to check out the component cables again to compare colors as another user pointed out. I didn't notice any loss of vibrance to the colors myself though.

He's professing to be an expert! :eek: Somebody stop him!

Question to those who have 'washed out' colors on their LCDs. did you ever tweak colors in your windows display options and/or had some type of digital vibrance that only a PC display driver allowed?

Well, I started off thinking that my 2405FPW supported 1080i fine - then I thought they didn't, after my image screen tests. Now, I have no idea.

I have a VGA cable now and the colours are really washed out, but it seems that the image quality is a lot better than at 1080i. For example, in PGR3 there are still jaggies but it's nowhere near as bad as they were with component. I'm sticking with VGA...

Back